Anyone here provide a LiveATC feed?

Irish_Armada

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Irish Armada
What's your setup like? What kind of Internet connection is req'd for it be a reliable feed? Costs to setup/maintain? Thanks.

I'd like to, if it could be done with a Raspberry Pi and SDR dongle, that'd be even better.

I feed ADS-B/Mode S/MLAT data to FlightAware and FR24, but thats it currently.

I assume the best comm feeds are on-field to capture both ends of ground and tower exchanges?

I'd like to, if it could be done with a Raspberry Pi and SDR dongle, that'd be even better.

I feed ADS-B/Mode S/MLAT data to FlightAware and FR24, but thats it currently.

Funny you should mention that, from the liveatc site:
Note: We sell pre-configured Raspberry Pi feed systems - inquire

TangoWhiskey on this board does. Based just a bit north of Fort Worth, I believe he is the feed for 52F, Northwest Regional in Roanoke, TX.

I'd guess minimal internet connection would be fine, you're providing one feed to livatc, then they feed the world from their servers.

kinda like streaming internet radio to one person, 96kbit/sec or less probably. almost modem speeds.

I'd guess minimal internet connection would be fine, you're providing one feed to livatc, then they feed the world from their servers.

kinda like streaming internet radio to one person, 96kbit/sec or less probably. almost modem speeds.

My feed used 15Kbps..... A VERY small segment of my internet connection...

Good to know! Thanks.

I provide for KSPG I got the equipment from Dave super easy setup uses little to no internet. I have to mess with it like once a month.

I fed KAPA for years until we moved away from the airport. I used an ancient PC, sound card, a decent scanner that had better than average receiver sensitivity in the Air band, and a good gain antenna. I loaded Ubuntu Linux on it and gave Dave access via SSH to set up his stuff.

I never touched the thing once we got the audio levels right. It sat there in a guest bedroom and ran.

There were two of us feeding KAPA at that time. The other feeder added in the DEN TRACON frequencies that cover KAPA, my feed was purposefully limited to only airport frequencies. Mainly because when KAPA gets busy, so does the TRACON and you'd miss a lot of stuff.

15K is correct in the stream bandwidth for Class D airports. I believe if your feeding Class B airports Dave uses a slightly higher audio quality, but don't know for sure if that's still true. It's been a couple of years.

sounds like fun, I'd do it but everywhere around me is covered.

Back