Anyone here flying a DA-40 with G-1000?

FlyBoyMcCall

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
RobTuck
I'm looking for a discussion on software versions.

@kaiser just posted one of his earlier videos of his horrible piloting skillz in a diamond with what looked like a G1000. it was unbearable to watch, crikey!

@kaiser just posted one of his earlier videos of his horrible piloting skillz in a diamond with what looked like a G1000. it was unbearable to watch, crikey!
Lol. I said terrible, not horrible.

I have 55 hrs in a 2005 (pre-WAAS). Not an owner so not sure how much I can help.

Not sure what you’re looking for but there are various software versions. I believe software version may have even changed during the same model year, as I’ve flown and maintained two 2013 model year DA40s that had very different software and capabilities.

FYI - the G1000 software is an airframe specific part and is controlled by Diamond, not Garmin. Because the software is airframe specific, not all G1000s have the same features.

.9 total time in DA-40NG. I think the Diamond G1000s have a G1000 phase 1, NXi phase 2 and phase 3. Phase 3 being the most recent. What I've heard though is that Diamond really doesn't update anything phase 1 and phase 2...

This might help-

Last edited:
Thanks all. It looks like there are a few DA-40 guys hanging around. I asked because I'm running software revision 031.22 on a 2008 XLS that I'm bringing up to speed on a few g1000issues. Version 031.22 dropped the checklist, which I like, and I wondered if anyone had a copy of whichever revision brought it back. Any maintenance shop that has a Garmin authorized avionics department will install the latest software for your system and provide you with a copy. Most don't charge much for that. I may have to go that route if I can't find someone who has a copy but it won't be possible for awhile because I am getting ready to work on the mandatory fiberglass reinforcement on the rear spar. The G-1000 software is written specific to the type of G-1000 (original, NXi, etc.) but within that is configurable for aircraft specifics (CO2 detector, TCAS, etc.). There have been issues with Garmin and Diamond engaged in mutual finger pointing to avoid responsibility for creating software for legacy versions of G-1000 that integrate ADS-B and TCAS and show them both on the MFD. This aircraft is stuck behind that problem. There is a workaround but it involves adding an additional GPS antenna.

UPDATE: It looks like 031.23 reintroduces the checklist. That's as far as I need to go with this aircraft if anyone has a copy of that.

Thanks all. It looks like there are a few DA-40 guys hanging around. I asked because I'm running software revision 031.22 on a 2008 XLS that I'm bringing up to speed on a few g1000issues. Version 031.22 dropped the checklist, which I like, and I wondered if anyone had a copy of whichever revision brought it back. Any maintenance shop that has a Garmin authorized avionics department will install the latest software for your system and provide you with a copy. Most don't charge much for that. I may have to go that route if I can't find someone who has a copy but it won't be possible for awhile because I am getting ready to work on the mandatory fiberglass reinforcement on the rear spar. The G-1000 software is written specific to the type of G-1000 (original, NXi, etc.) but within that is configurable for aircraft specifics (CO2 detector, TCAS, etc.). There have been issues with Garmin and Diamond engaged in mutual finger pointing to avoid responsibility for creating software for legacy versions of G-1000 that integrate ADS-B and TCAS and show them both on the MFD. This aircraft is stuck behind that problem. There is a workaround but it involves adding an additional GPS antenna.
I put it in Diamond. They make strange choices. One of our three is a NG. integrated 345R ADS-B transponder with the feed to EFB blocked. Apparently fixable by an update, but it's not approved by Diamond. Then there's the intentionally inaccurate fuel totalizer...

I put it in Diamond. They make strange choices. One of our three is a NG. integrated 345R ADS-B transponder with the feed to EFB blocked. Apparently fixable by an update, but it's not approved by Diamond. Then there's the intentionally inaccurate fuel totalizer...
It does seem more like DIamond than Garmin @midlifeflyer because it was eventually worked out with other manufacturers.

I'm not familiar with the inaccurate totalizer issue. Which sub-model DA-40 is this? On my SN 40.876, when I pay attention to the filling level and remember to reset it at startup after filling at the tanks, my totalizer is consistently (over years) identical to what is indicated on my fill receipt within +/- 0.1 gallons. As far as the electromechanical gauges go, mine are fairly accurate too (maybe +/- 1.0 gallons, except that gap between 20 and 15 introduced by the main v. aux tanks.

It does seem more like DIamond than Garmin @midlifeflyer because it was eventually worked out with other manufacturers.

I'm not familiar with the inaccurate totalizer issue. Which sub-model DA-40 is this? On my SN 40.876, when I pay attention to the filling level and remember to reset it at startup after filling at the tanks, my totalizer is consistently (over years) identical to what is indicated on my fill receipt within +/- 0.1 gallons. As far as the electromechanical gauges go, mine are fairly accurate too (maybe +/- 1.0 gallons, except that gap between 20 and 15 introduced by the main v. aux tanks.
The totalizer is fine. Works great. Same for the gauges. But in the NG, Diamond only allows you to set it at 28 even if you filled to the top. That means it will tell you you are dipping into reserves when you have 2 hours left. The inability to set it for full fuel is nonsense. I've been (and have been recommending to my checkout victims, that once both tanks show 13, reset it for accuracy.

I haven't figured out any safety reason to not let you set it for what you know you actually have.

Last edited:
My 2008 DA40XLS (40.868) fuel totalizer works great. And I am currently running 0321.23, which equates to Garmin v12.05, released in 2013. These were the features added in .23 SW:

• MFD Vertical Profile View
• NAV Database synch capability
• Standby NAV database capability
• XM Weather Display Enhancements
• Added WAAS approach capability for airports with 3-letter identifiers
• AOPA Airport Directory Support
• Added Range-To-Altitude Arc on MFD Navigation Map
• Compatibility with Enhanced Search & Rescue Option
• Re-establishes use of checklist capability

Never tried the checklist feature, I prefer it on my iPad and CheckMate cards.

I
My 2008 DA40XLS (40.868) fuel totalizer works great. And I am currently running 0321.23, which equates to Garmin v12.05, released in 2013. These were the features added in .23 SW:

• MFD Vertical Profile View
• NAV Database synch capability
• Standby NAV database capability
• XM Weather Display Enhancements
• Added WAAS approach capability for airports with 3-letter identifiers
• AOPA Airport Directory Support
• Added Range-To-Altitude Arc on MFD Navigation Map
• Compatibility with Enhanced Search & Rescue Option
• Re-establishes use of checklist capability

Never tried the checklist feature, I prefer it on my iPad and CheckMate cards.
I liked the checklist feature in the previous software versions. The default list was good and you could customize the text file it reads to meet your preferences.

Back