Anyone here flown a SOCATA Rallye/PZL Koliber?

topgun260

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Topgun260
It has a sliding canopy, stick and leading edge slats! How do they fly? How STOL are they? How much room for the passengers?
iu

Fun, easy, but slow cruise. I've flown the 180HP version with an O-360. Not exactly a Super Cub etc, but OK. Slats work quite well.
Room is OK in the back, but I wouldn't call it roomy...

I fly and maintain one for a friend. There are a lot of variants of the airplane; power plants range from an o-200 to an o-540 and number of occupants allowed also varies.

They fly fine - pleasant and unremarkable in their handling. STOL performance is very good - I can take off and land shorter than in the Super Cubs I also fly.

The biggest advice I would give to any prospective owner is to choose a mechanic wisely. These airplanes are very european in nature and will likely annoy a Piper or Cessna mechanic the same way a Chevy mechanic would be angered if you asked them to fix your Rover.

I fly and maintain one for a friend. There are a lot of variants of the airplane; power plants range from an o-200 to an o-540 and number of occupants allowed also varies.

They fly fine - pleasant and unremarkable in their handling. STOL performance is very good - I can take off and land shorter than in the Super Cubs I also fly.

The biggest advice I would give to any prospective owner is to choose a mechanic wisely. These airplanes are very european in nature and will likely annoy a Piper or Cessna mechanic the same way a Chevy mechanic would be angered if you asked them to fix your Rover.

That's interesting. None of the videos that I have seen seem to show STOL performance that good. Most don't seem to do much better than a C172. I'm sure, like anything, it all depends on who is flying. What about the front seats? Some of the videos on YouTube seem to show knees up in front of the panel! Is it that tight in the front if you have long legs?

That's interesting. None of the videos that I have seen seem to show STOL performance that good. Most don't seem to do much better than a C172. I'm sure, like anything, it all depends on who is flying.

Some folks refer to the Rallye as the tin parachute for a reason. I have a hard time believing anyone will get the STOL performance out of a 172 that is equivalent.

The airplane I am familiar with is a very early 880B with a climb prop on it. It cruises at big tire cub speeds and will land as short or shorter than the typically equipped one. Slats and/or Keller flaps on the Cub may change things.

What about the front seats? Some of the videos on YouTube seem to show knees up in front of the panel! Is it that tight in the front if you have long legs?

I’m 5’10” with a 31” inseam. I fit fine although the seating and panel position is different from that of a typical airplane, which is what you’re likely seeing. I’ve never been around a Rallye with control wheels to know what the seating and panel position is like in one of those.

Back