Anyone here a member of the Cessna Pilot Association?

MD11Pilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MD11Pilot
Since John Frank died, the computer side of the place has been non-existent. I have repeatedly called and emailed to ask when their forums would be back with no luck. They, as far as I can determine have put out one memo that they were working on it but no idea when it would be up.
Evidently it is working but you have to have some work arounds to get to it. I just got my latest magazine and need to contact someone that wrote a question and try to save him from buying a certain airplane (I did a pre-buy and just a simple phone call to the Feds would have the airplane red tagged for multiple items). Frustrating because the owner has put lipstick on a pig and trying to save the guy thousands upon thousands of dollars.

Anyone know how to get hold of anyone there?

Sorry, I'm not a member but I have been thinking about joining.

I joined last year, mainly for the 182 buyers guide, but also for the forum and ability to reach out to other experts, plus the online resources. The mag is fine. But since the online side is dead (at least to me it's a POS), I'm not gonna renew.

I hope I wasn't the guy you were trying to reach!!!

All I know is what was in the E-mail sent to CPA members last March:

Members of CPA,

We know that the service provided to you recently has been severely affected by technical failures and outages. The worst part of these disruptions is that they knocked out our ability to communicate to the members as a group. We understand it has been frustrating to see all of the problems on the forum and website without getting an adequate response from CPA. Things are beginning to stabilize now, and we want to communicate what happened, what has been done to correct the problem, and where things are going in the future.

The first and most important piece of information to convey is that every effort has been made to preserve and backup the information on the website and the forums. The trove of knowledge that the members and our tech reps have produced over the years is one of the greatest reasons to be a part of CPA, and we are treating it with the highest importance.

With that said, the state of CPA’s web presence has been outdated and inefficient for a very long time. In the past, CPA did not put technology as a top priority, and it left us falling further behind with every delay. The general organization of the company followed a similar pattern, and when John passed last year, we began an effort to modernize the company, and deal with all of the growing problems. Unfortunately, the timing of this coincided with particularly vicious attacks on our webserver, and our job turned from one of planning a rebuilding effort to one of putting out fires. We have hired a team of developers that have secured the server, and are continuing to work on the remaining technical fires. We are putting as many resources as we can right now into security and data retention, and while these improvements don’t come with anything visible, they are crucial steps before we can move forward.

As our ability to communicate properly returns, we will be reaching out to the membership with more regularity. We will be keeping you updated on progress, but also interacting through surveys and forum posts to ensure that the changes we make are the changes you want to see. We are going to make the experience on our website and forums as great as the content, and we can only do that with a cooperative effort. This is a big project, and big projects bring unknown delays and problems. Rather than provide a constantly moving target date of completion, we will be committed to being responsive and informative as we get closer to the goal.

To summarize what has been done and what is planned: the server that hosts the site, email, and forums has been secured and is being stabilized. When the server is running smoothly again, we will begin transitioning to better hardware and hosting solutions. We are archiving the information from the forums and other sources, and are organizing it so that it will be accessible to the members. Once all of this is complete, we will be creating a fresh and clean forum for the membership that will be properly updated and moderated. The website will also be redesigned, putting a stronger focus on delivering tech info to the membership. During this process, we will be reaching out to the membership to make sure all of the new features we are developing are actually things that you want.

We know there has been a lot of “trust us” from CPA in the past, and we are essentially left saying this one more time. A lot of missteps were taken as an organization, but we are now moving in the right direction. There are real changes happening, and this project is long overdue, but the results this year will be tremendous. We know that the service will return to, and even exceed the level you had come to expect from CPA.

We thank you for all of your patience, and we look forward to making CPA the best place for any Cessna owner.

Sincerely,
The cessna.org team

I joined last year, mainly for the 182 buyers guide, but also for the forum and ability to reach out to other experts, plus the online resources. The mag is fine. But since the online side is dead (at least to me it's a POS), I'm not gonna renew.

I hope I wasn't the guy you were trying to reach!!!

If your name is Mark C then yes.
I have been a member for a few years, met John Frank at OSH and felt like punching him in the face when he insulted my maintenance background. I won't be renewing either. There are some extremely good people that try to help people but the leadership is very very weak.

I would opine that if they haven't yet got their fourms and website up and running they are a gonner.

I just got my latest magazine and need to contact someone that wrote a question and try to save him from buying a certain airplane (I did a pre-buy and just a simple phone call to the Feds would have the airplane red tagged for multiple items).

Why not just call the Feds yourself?

No access to proof now. Can't afford the lawsuit.
Then speaking only as SGOTI, you'd be better off talking to the feds than a potential buyer. The later is more likely to get you a lawsuit than the former, since there's protection for reporting potential crimes, and the feds will do their own investigation and come to their own conclusion.

Maybe you're correct. My way is the best in my opinion. The owner knows what is wrong. If it passes a pre-buy for him then all the best. My pre-buy was up to 10k in problems in about thirty minutes. Pretty paint, nice panel and great looking car carpet....corrosion in the elevators and more cracks in the engine compartment than I have ever seen.

You guys can say to call the Feds but not going to do it. Let the buyer beware. I am trying to be helpful. Back to the original question... does anyone here know how to get on the CPA forum...anything else is unnecessary.

The forums work but not well. If you call they will extend your membership the same number of months it takes to get back into normal operation. They have started testing on what sounds like a new version of the software so there is hope that they will be back to normal operation in the not distant future. They have saved the old forums and the technical data and that info will be on the new site when they get it running.

Log into the site and forum like normal, then open a second window and click on this link. It will take you to the forums.
http://forums.cessna.org/ubbthreads.php?Cat=

In the meanwhile POA has been wonderful to those of us from CPA that joined. I will continue to use CPA, at least for now, but consider myself fortunate to be able to participate on POA and plan on staying.

Gary

Thanks @MD11Pilot , it's not me.

And thanks for the info @GaryV , the site is well worth the price of admission, in my opinion. I've been unable to access it the normal way and will try out your method.

The forums work but not well. If you call they will extend your membership the same number of months it takes to get back into normal operation. They have started testing on what sounds like a new version of the software so there is hope that they will be back to normal operation in the not distant future. They have saved the old forums and the technical data and that info will be on the new site when they get it running.

I joined the CPA for the Tech Notes, but I stayed for the forum. There's years and years of postings from people that have encountered every imaginable technical problem with just about every model of Cessna piston aircraft. I really hope all that content will be preserved and carried forward. It was invaluable for me in my airplane search and first year of ownership.

What's really sad about this is that they've been saying the same thing for months. I don't know a lot about what goes on behind the scenes there, but something as relatively basic as their forum should not take anywhere near this long to migrate to new software. Any tech professional who has a clue about what they're doing should be able to make a transition like that happen in a few days or a couple of weeks, not months.

Not to mention that the existing forum may be kludgy software, but it's worked for years. It's probably not hard to fix whatever recently started making it so unreliable. Makes me wonder if they either have someone really uninformed working on the project as a hobby (yikes), or they're getting fleeced (yikes!).

What's really sad about this is that they've been saying the same thing for months. I don't know a lot about what goes on behind the scenes there, but something as relatively basic as their forum should not take anywhere near this long to migrate to new software. Any tech professional who has a clue about what they're doing should be able to make a transition like that happen in a few days or a couple of weeks, not months.

Not to mention that the existing forum may be kludgy software, but it's worked for years. It's probably not hard to fix whatever recently started making it so unreliable. Makes me wonder if they either have someone really uninformed working on the project as a hobby (yikes), or they're getting fleeced (yikes!).

Agree...their team is either codemonkeys from overseas or otherwise just people that don't know what they're doing. It should have taken days to fix not years.

If your name is Mark C then yes.
I have been a member for a few years, met John Frank at OSH and felt like punching him in the face when he insulted my maintenance background. I won't be renewing either. There are some extremely good people that try to help people but the leadership is very very weak.

LOL! I thought it might be just me that thought that guy was a pompous douche. I called him up one time trying to get help locating a heli-coil kit and the actual inserts. He laughed in my face over the phone and said, "A heil-coil is a heli-coil is a heli-coil....Just go down to NAPA Auto Parts and grab some 18mm's there!". After I picked my jaw off the floor, I told him he was a complete moron because aviation heli-coils need to have the tang on it and Lycoming specifically says that. Maybe now that he is gone, I'll consider re-joining.

I tried to renew my membership (I like the magazine, if for nothing else), but the website is so bollixed up it wouldn't even let me do that.

Screen Shot 2017-10-01 at 4.23.22 PM.png

I e-mailed them asking what to do, but haven't gotten a reply yet.

I wonder why do they even need a physical "office"? It's 2017, knowledge workers can be located anywhere.

Cheers,

Sorry to hear the CPA has degraded. First Mike Busch left, then John Frank died, and now they've moved to an off-airport location. They used to (still?) offer useful maintenance model-specific seminars at their Santa Maria hangar in addition to the massive information contained in the forums and web page-accessible archives. Let's hope they get their act together soon.

Happy landings always,

Don

I was a member at one time,they seem to be going downhill.

Back