Anyone Heat With Wood?

As someone else stated, we are "recreational" burners, though we have three fireplaces in the house!

The wife loves a fire and tending to it....but we are out of wood. $20 a cord? I freaking WISH!

Is there anyone who heats only with wood? If so, what do you do when you go away for a few days?

I do on occasion burn hardwood scraps from my Cabinet Shop. My favorite is Hickory, man does that stuff have a lot of btus!!!!!!
Hickory? clean, fresh, unstained, untreated hickory? Like, hickory I could put in my smoker under some big old beef brisket? :)
Edit - just read the rest of the thread and saw the "pecan" comment ... man, now I'm really hungry - time to fire up the smoker, now that we're supposed to be above 0 again.

Last edited:
Is there anyone who heats only with wood? If so, what do you do when you go away for a few days?

I use only wood until we go somewhere, then I turn the thermostat down to 55. We could drain the pipes, winterize the house and turn the heat off.

We have a Jotul woodburning insert in the stone fireplace up at the cabin in far northern MN but the place isn't set up for year-round use. The insert is more than sufficient to keep the place toasty warm in the fall. Here at the timeshare unit we're in this week we have a nice woodburning fireplace for recreational burning. I much prefer a real woodburning fireplace to a gas one.

The folks I know that have heated only by wood had some kind of backup system to keep the pipes from freezing. Heat tape, backup heating system, etc.

When I lived in New York, most of my heat came from a woodburning fireplace insert.... the hot water came off a oil furnace that also fed a closed-loop baseboard hot water system. But the oil bill was a few hundred gallons a year for backup furnace & hot water. We got probably 80% of our heat from the wood stove. Burned a lot of wood each year.

I'm thinking about getting an insert for one of the fireplaces in my house here in DC. The one I'm looking at is rated up to 27.500 BTU, which is about 1/3 of the rating of the gas furnace.

When I bought my house waaay back in 1977 I bought a Vermont Castings Defiant woodstove. Cost me $400 brand new. That stove has been heating my house all winter every year since then. The house has propane hot water baseboard heat, but I never turn it on. (except to check that it still works.) They ROB you here in Jersey for propane. It's unregulated, so if you try to save propane by using less, they charge you more! The last propane filling I got (for the water heater and cooking) was 3.99 a gallon! Thieves!!
As for the question about going away, we are homebodys who hate winter so we never go anywhere in winter. If I did, I would have to leave the propane heat turned on LOW.
I gather up whatever wood I can find for free and buy some from a local guy who sells it as a hobby.
I've been doing it so long that it's completely normal to me.
Right now as I sit here typing this in my living room, it's 78 in here and 17 degrees outside. Ahhhh!!

When I'm at the house I feed the Ashley stove (with blowers) and the house stays incredibly toasty.
I split two big cherry logs (seasoned for a year) last weekend with the maul and that lasted the weekend. Mostly burn hickory, oak and poplar. Will be splitting more tomorrow morning once I get back.

Woodstove and white oak will run you out of a room in short order. :yes:

P.S. - build yourself a woodsplitter. Your life will be so much better. :)

Last edited:
anyone know a good way to make a 'log' out of hardwood pallets? I have a limitless supply of these and was toying with cutting them up, somehow making logs out of them so they don't burn so quickly. Wire? Nails? Something combustible would be nice.

(Chuckle!)

I suspect we get the two Dave Taylors together (one a Doc of Jurisprudence, the other, a Doc of Critter Care), we might see some stuff blown up for fun!

anyone know a good way to make a 'log' out of hardwood pallets? I have a limitless supply of these and was toying with cutting them up, somehow making logs out of them so they don't burn so quickly. Wire? Nails? Something combustible would be nice.

Wire tie them so the flat sides are togeather. Experiment to see what works best, use an airtight stove so control combustion.

I've had a pellet stove in my family room downstairs for about 12 years and swear by it. Lots of heat and a bag of pellets lasts about 30 hours of so.

Do you use it to heat or more for ambiance? I think a bag of pellets is what $4-5.

How does pellet burn compare to wood?

The one thing about pellets that concerns me is the whole grid failure thing. If G-d forbid we have a major catastrophic event and the power grid comes crashing down One can always cut down wood, chop it and burn it. Pellets ya gotta get at the store. I hear they burn a loooong time though.

Yep!!
We have a Country Flame R-6 wood buring heater with a Catalytic Converter installed in the flue. My house is a raised ranch, the stove sits in the far corner of the downstairs room which get way toasty and the heat travels upstairs and does the rest of the house. It is work, but I get away with burning about a full cord of wood to supplement the oil heat system, and I save lots of $$$$ on fuel oil. I can bank the stove around 9-10PM and its still going strong at 6-7AM

We have a traditional fireplace with an insert, a stove and an underslab hydronic radiant heat system. We also have conventional heat but don't use it much unless were gone. As other have stated, cutting wood is one of my favorite things to do and we have plenty of trees on our place and a couple of other pieces of land we own.

That's what I was thinking, I pay $100 a cord here for good hard wood and $40 for a rick.

I get a kick out of this one. I couldn't find the exact regulation just now but firewood must be sold by the cord or fraction thereof. It's illegal to sell firewood by any other measurement such as rick, rack, face cord, truckload, etc. because they're all undefined. I believe this is a federal thing but I'm not sure. I do know that it's illegal in Missouri...but no one pays attention to it...you'll see ricks, face cords and truck loads for sale in the paper every day.

We have a traditional fireplace with an insert, a stove and an underslab hydronic radiant heat system. We also have conventional heat but don't use it much unless were gone. As other have stated, cutting wood is one of my favorite things to do and we have plenty of trees on our place and a couple of other pieces of land we own.

I get a kick out of this one. I couldn't find the exact regulation just now but firewood must be sold by the cord or fraction thereof. It's illegal to sell firewood by any other measurement such as rick, rack, face cord, truckload, etc. because they're all undefined. I believe this is a federal thing but I'm not sure. I do know that it's illegal in Missouri...but no one pays attention to it...you'll see ricks, face cords and truck loads for sale in the paper every day.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_a_rick_of_wood

In these parts, wood is sold by the truck load but one must be cautious as to what constitutes a truck load. :mad2: I just cut and split my own and enjoy the work out. Although, tomorrow I am going to use a friends splitter. Go figure. :redface:

It is in the UCC I believe. To be legal the wood has to be stacked and measured either before delivery or after. No one does it though.

I can bank the stove around 9-10PM and its still going strong at 6-7AM

Now there is a skill kids today no nothing of, banking a fire for the night. :yesnod:

The snow was too deep here for me to get to my wood supply so I had to buy my first fire wood ever. The commercial wood seller says; "Fill your pick up truck for $75." He stays in side and does not even watch. Nice time I'm opening the doors and REALLY filling the truck up! :rofl:

Last edited:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_a_rick_of_wood
A rick is 4x8 feet x16 inches (commonly called a rick).

Only if you're burning 16" logs. I burn 24" logs thus my rick is 4x8x2. This is why a rick, rank and face cord are undefined because the volume varies depending upon the length of the logs.

A cord, being 4x4x8, works with both 16" and 24" logs. It's three ricks of 16" logs and two ricks of 24" logs. This also illustrates why a rick doesn't have a specific volume.

I didn't write the laws, I'm just aware that they exist...at least in some states. Not that anyone pays attention to them anyway. 10 years ago or so, when I lived in Springfield, MO, the local newspaper would have the law published at the top the firewood section in the classifieds. Immediately below most people were still advertising wood for sale by the face cord, rick and truckload. It was always good for a chuckle when reading the sunday paper. :smile:

Last edited:
Back