Anyone heard of the MobiShark?

Teller1900

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
I am a dad!
So, the wife and I just got new HP Minis, which, as many of you know by now, uses Linux. I also have a Blackberry Storm (yes, I'm a fanboy). I'd love to be able to use the Storm as a modem for the Mini without having to pay for an aircard or monthly fees to Verizon. This looks like a neat product, but I was hoping for some reviews (or alternate ideas) before I commit.
Thanks!

http://mobishark.com/

Sorry to bust your bubble -- but that is a Windows product -- and likely won't work worth a crap trying to make it work in Linux.

It sounds like this will work. I have no experience with it:
http://www.berry4all.com/home

Thanks Jesse, you caught that about 15 minutes quicker than I did. I'm just about to give Berry4All a try.

Disregard this thread. :)

Hey Jesse, any chance you could make sense of their horrible website? They don't have install instructions, it just says to extract the files to the computer, anywhere you want it. And that's it. I did that, but I don't get the impression that it did much of anything. I'm obviously very Linux illiterate.

Well first you need to install those packages it lists in the Install section. If you open a terminal and type:
sudo apt-get install python libusb-dev ppp python-usb

That'll probably do it. As far as how the actual berry4all app works, I'm not sure, It's Python so I'd imagine you'd execute something in it after you uncompress it. There might be some configuration files you have to set up. I hate to break it to you man, Linux (Ubuntu) makes a nice operating system for those that don't understand Linux provided they don't try to do anything that isn't directly supported in the GUI. Once you get outside of what is directly supported you're in a whole different world. I work with Linux nearly all day and have done so since I was a kid...I still don't use it as a desktop OS. There is just too much hassle for doing things that are somewhat proprietary.

Come to Lincoln and bring your BlackBerry and laptop and I'll get it going for you in no time :) Otherwise, perhaps, someone here will have one and can lay out the way to do it.

I can't even get the damn thing to open a terminal. There's nothing on the desktop for it, and ctrl-alt-F2 does nothing. At all. I'm starting to think that HP has, for whatever reason, locked out that functionality, or something. Or I'm just an idiot. That's always a possibility.

Next time I'm home, I might just have to make a side trip to Lincoln, at this rate.

Attachments

• Desktop.png
    Desktop.png
    371.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Ok, I got passed the terminal, but when I run
sudo apt-get install python libusb-dev ppp python-usb
nothing happens. Does it matter where I extracted the files?

I used Berry with my Blackberry Curve. It never did work the way I hoped it would :(

Hopefully its gotten better now, Matt!

Back