Anyone heard of Angel Aircraft?

Tantalum

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
San_Diego_Pilot
Was looking at canard designs and came across this interesting bird, seems a little like GA version of the Beechcraft Starship: http://www.angelaircraft.com/

Looks like a unique outfit, the performance specs are pretty impressive actually and the brochure has some good details on there, but I've never heard of these before

If they're really as simple and ruggedly built as they claim I'm surprised it never really took off

Was looking at canard designs and came across this interesting bird, seems a little like GA version of the Beechcraft Starship: http://www.angelaircraft.com/

Looks like a unique outfit, the performance specs are pretty impressive actually and the brochure has some good details on there, but I've never heard of these before

If they're really as simple and ruggedly built as they claim I'm surprised it never really took off

That's the second airplane they built. The first was a low-wing taildragger twin. Both were designed for overseas missions and humanitarian work, operating off unimproved strips.

That second airplane has a fatal flaw, in my view: The pusher props get real close to the ground in the takeoff attitude, and they're right behind the mains, eating all the debris thrown up by the tires.

What Dan said above times two ! Kind of pretty but I don't see those props holding up too well if operated from unpaved strips. They used to have a running monthly ad in Trade-A-Plane, for those of you who remember.

Good point on those pusher props right behind the mains, I didn't catch that before and that certainly seems like a major design flaw. I couldn't find pricing anywhere, do you recall from their ads what they were asking for these?

Maybe they're not cut out for bush flying with the pusher props, but seems like a slick paint job and some slight aesthetic changes and it could have a second life?

I agree that the pusher props will eat everything thrown by the tires. Just look at the tail feathers of a C206/7 that works off gravel strips and see how beat up those are.

doesn't look much like a Canard type to me. The big wing is in front with engines on it (pointed the wrong way) and the tail is in back where it belongs? I thought canards were the other way around? They are neat looking airplanes but have some issues as noted. I used to take care of a number of tow planes and dusters that used a gravel/dirt strip. Even with the plane in front and the tailwheel back where its supposed to be the props get dinged. The one Cessna 337 that lived there had some serious chew marks in the rear prop. I can't imagine what the Angel would look like with the wheels right in front of the props.

Frank

They have "mud flaps" on them! Sweet!

Tire.jpg

Back