Anyone Have Restoration Exp.?

JasonCT

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
JasonCT
Greetings everyone!

I am now the proud owner of a 1971 Grumman AA-1A and the paint is poor on this plane. Mechanics are all good, just cosmentics.

My question for you all is do any of you have any expieriance with re-painting your planes? How did you strip the paint down? Do you know any resources I could use to get some insight on restoration?

~Jay

Does anyone know or remember a webboard member who is an excellent aircraft painter and who posted a long note on the sequence of events involved in painting your own aircraft? I have the entire post archived on my computer. The signature is "Shorty". I would like to either obtain permisssion to repost the material or at least credit whoever "Shorty" might be.

Congratulations on your purchase, Jay. In 1992, 8 years before I bought Skyhawk N7872G, the prior owner had her painted at Curtis Air, Pittsfield Airport, Pittsfield, Maine(15 minutes this side of Bangor). The paint has held up extremely well for having been an outdoor tie-down plane.

http://www.curtis-air.com/facilities.htm

Small shop(as opposed to the large corporate images), and I'd not hesitate to have more work done there should the need arise.

HR

Hey harley, thanks for your post, Can't wait to get it up to Maine for the hangar party!
Primer and all LOL :)

Jay,

You may want to join the Grumman Gang email list and post your question there...main reason is the skins of a Grumman are glued (bonded) to the airframe...I would think you would want to find a shop that is expernced with the type.

www.grumman.net

Len

Ed,

I saved that too...I titled the document.

How to Paint a Plane by David “Shorty” Wilkinson

Len

Back