Anyone have experience with dropping objects? (on purpose ;) )

Doggtyred I'm not here to debate your opinion on this. I was merely looking for input on the actual dropping of objects (something many pilots do and is not unlawful or unsafe if the proper precautions are taken) and curious as to the hazard using a parachute system would make. But as denverpilot mentioned, nobody was saying NOT to do it. Some with SAR experience advised it was not useful in their experience, but that is their opinion (respectfully), and doesn't mean I immediately drop my interest in it. Thanks for your well wishes. Moving on...

Airdrop1.jpg Well, good news! Had some time to go make some drops and test some techniques on Tuesday and I'd consider it successful! This was my second drop...5 pound flour bad, 65 knots @ 300 ft AGL. Not too shabby. Airdrop1.jpg Airdrop2.jpg Airdrop1.jpg Airdrop2.jpg These were not moved...we have consistency :)Airdrop3.jpg Airdrop1.jpg Airdrop2.jpg Airdrop3.jpg Airdrop1.jpg Airdrop2.jpg Airdrop3.jpg Now just to figure out how to increase the survival rate of the payload (in this case, water bottles). These were all dropped without a chute, still working on the logistics of doing that safely and being sure it wont catch the tail on the way out.

Ohh shoot, forgot the disclaimer...."No animals, ground personnel, pilots, passengers, vehicles, or structures were harmed during this exercise." We all went home safe :)

Lots of experience dropping Sunday newspapers to friends during break-up/freeze-up when they're stuck and ice to hunting buddies when the weather stays warm into late August/September. An old friend and I were darn good at the newspaper runs. I'd fly and he'd drop. Our best was one dropped to a friend who stood at the door to his porch his porch. When the paper stopped moving the friend opened the door, leaned over, and picked it up without taking a step. The most fun is dropping block ice to guys waiting in a raft on a lake. The ice looks like a depth charge from a WWII movie when it hits the water.

Last edited:
Back