anyone have experience being 'prez' of hangar association?

Badger

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Badger
I was approached by our current hangar association president, he asked if I would consider taking over his position. Of course he had a "just an hour or two a month' story, which I'm sure is true some of the time.

What is involved in this position? We have 10 condo/tee hangar units. New 20 year lease with municipality was recently signed. I expect the roof will need to be replaced in the next 10 years (currently 20 years old).

Does being "prez" of one's HOA count?

It could be a simple job, or it could be a mess. If you haven't been having problems as an owner you likely won't have problems leading the group. Too many variables to say for certain.

Run away. Those deals genuinely suck.

Having been stupid enough to be on various volunteer boards over the years...

Run, don't walk, away.

Unless they're paying a salary commensurate with the management, PR, secretarial, and other jobs all rolled into most volunteer board jobs... it ain't worth it. Trust me.

Unless you're an egomaniac and need the attention... Then maybe it pays "enough". I certainly don't need the attention nor the typical drama involved that inevitably will occur. Maybe not today, but eventually.

You haven't had fun until you've been threatened with a personal lawsuit over the dues of a member of an organization that only charges $20/year. Some people really are that stupid, you realize. They don't even notice it'll cost them more in fuel to get to small claims court than the cost of a year's dues.

Oh and don't forget to purchase a liability umbrella policy on your homeowners insurance in case you or anyone else on the board screws up. The lawyers will happily come after your house if you do. Especially if someone got hurt. Think "fell down on ice in front of the hangar" here...

Thanks for advice. It pays a small amount yearly. I don't want attention, but I like to help people whenever I can. I also like to avoid drama.

Back