Anyone have an non-airworthy plane they are willing to part with?

SteveinIndy

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
SteveinIndy
I have been asked by a colleague who is planning a plane crash drill for the EMTs and firefighters in her area to help with the logistics of it. Does anyone happen to know of a "decommissioned" or "wrecked" aircraft sitting around Indiana or Michigan that they might be willing to donate (there may be the possibility of a tax write-off in this case, but I would have to double check) or sell very cheaply for this purpose. It does not have to be a whole aircraft (we really just need the intact cockpit) and we can arrange to haul it to where we need it. The one I knew of that would have been perfect for this is now no longer available because it was cut up by the local FD for practice last year so I'm stuck doing my best calling around looking for one at every scrapyard and parts dealer I can find.

If anyone has any suggestions or happens to be in possession of such a commodity, please feel free to PM me. Any help would be really appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

Steve check your local airport. If there are no ramp queens there it would be a shock. A good shock but one none the less. perhaps they can put you in touch with the owner who will donate a rusting POS for the tax writeoff.

It's been a while but I think the drill at KILG Wilmington, Delaware had the ANG involved so they used a C-130 parked on a closed runway. Plenty of room to scatter simulated injured passengers in and around the aircraft.

I'll call our airport manager to help refresh my memory.

I wonder if any of the salvage yards would make something available?
We've found a salvage operator who is most likely letting us use a Cessna 172 he is trying to get rid of. He is also trying to find out about an abandoned twin that he heard about....thank you all for your help. I think the idea of talking to the military might worth pursuing....

Hi Steve
I know at PTK were I am based the crash and rescue guys have several planes just sitting around. Might be worth a call to them to see if they are willing to part with one. PTK is just north of Detroit MI.

Good Luck Mike

Check out the guys at Willow Run (KYIP)...they run a charter service or freight op...They have quite a few really old airframes sitting out of the tarmac...

Over at Lansing Mi.there is an old twin sitting out in the weeds. It' maybe a twin Bonanza, or a twin Navion, I didn't look that close.

Also down at Western Univ.,Battle Creek, they are given old planes for Mech. student's ,maybe they would part with one. I think Northwest gave them a 747, serious, to tinker with. So they might have something around a bit smaller they would part with.

I also saw some old frames,fuselage,wing skins,etc at Lowell Airport at the Missionary School, they have since moved over to Ionia, might try them.

If you find something and need it hauled, I have a tandem car hauler and some strap's and I'd be happy to help.I'm in Grand Rapids.

Hi Steve
I know at PTK were I am based the crash and rescue guys have several planes just sitting around. Might be worth a call to them to see if they are willing to part with one. PTK is just north of Detroit MI.

Good Luck Mike
How appropriate! I used to live in Waterford, just off Hospital Road. I will definitely give them a call and see if they can render any further assistance.

Over at Lansing Mi.there is an old twin sitting out in the weeds. It' maybe a twin Bonanza, or a twin Navion, I didn't look that close.

Also down at Western Univ.,Battle Creek, they are given old planes for Mech. student's ,maybe they would part with one. I think Northwest gave them a 747, serious, to tinker with. So they might have something around a bit smaller they would part with.

I also saw some old frames,fuselage,wing skins,etc at Lowell Airport at the Missionary School, they have since moved over to Ionia, might try them.

If you find something and need it hauled, I have a tandem car hauler and some strap's and I'd be happy to help.I'm in Grand Rapids.
Thanks for the leads...I will definitely check into those. We might need your help in moving the twin we have been offered and the Cessna. At the moment, the approval for which aircraft we are using is in the hands of the board members so I am just waiting to hear back from them.

BTW, any excuse I can get to talk to people over at WMU is a good one....I want to weasel my way into their CRJ simulator at some point.

Back