Anyone had to touch up the lettering...

NavAir

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
NavAir
... on the buttons of Bendix/King avionics? The lettering on the DN button on my KAP-140 autopilot is completely worn off. None of the other buttons (I have a full B/K stack) has worn at at all. The lettering seems to be etched with a black paint fill.

I know what the button does, obviously, but I like to keep the aircraft in good cosmetic, as well as functional condition. I'm looking for advice from someone who has repaired a similar problem - type of paint, technique, etc. Thanks,

Steve

Well, I figured it out myself. Got a black Lacquer-Stik fill in paint stick. See before and after pictures. A nice $5 fix.

Attachments

• DSCN1510.JPG
    DSCN1510.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 77
  • DSCN1513.JPG
    DSCN1513.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 75
The buttons on my Garmin GNC 300XL look like hammered ****. But they're reversed from yours...black buttons, white (backlit) letters. I don't think I have any choice but to find a new face.

The buttons on my Garmin GNC 300XL look like hammered ****. But they're reversed from yours...black buttons, white (backlit) letters. I don't think I have any choice but to find a new face.

White crayon.

Except it's the black on the entire button that's wearing off.

Requires an STC.

Use white crayon to fill the lettering, paint the button, then use a paper clip or similar to scrape the crayon (and black paint on top) out of the lettering.
That's an interesting thought, if they're depressed, but I don't think they are. I'll check it out the next time I'm at the airport.

That's an interesting thought, if they're depressed, but I don't think they are. I'll check it out the next time I'm at the airport.

If not, get labels made with the lettering cut out and apply over the top.
Not as pretty as stock, but servicable.
You can apply paint around the edges of the labels to prevent glare.

Back