anyone grab their stick with both hands?

eman1200

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bro do you even lift
I'm not talking on short final, I'm not talking over the fence, not even talking over the #'s. I'm talking right as you're settling down, when there's close to zero chance you're going around. anyone (gasp) take your hand off the throttle and work it down with 2 hands? I've been doing that lately. there, I said it, I hope my CFI aint reading this!

I'm not talking on short final, I'm not talking over the fence, not even talking over the #'s. I'm talking right as you're settling down, when there's close to zero chance you're going around. anyone (gasp) take your hand off the throttle and work it down with 2 hands? I've been doing that lately. there, I said it, I hope my CFI aint reading this!

no, never

If you shake it more than three times, you are playing with it....

My guess... You are not using trim.... (Um I'll skip that reference.)

Anyway, regardless of which aircraft, you should find it natural to move the stick with one hand. I always thought it would be hard to transistion from a stick (da20) to a yoke (c172), but that took all of one minute.

Not resetting the trim in the bonanza... Well, both hands fully required...

I'd say it's never too late to bring power back in, even if you only need it for a brief moment. I once landed a 172 into some wake turbulence behind a dash-8 and the wings started to roll during the round-out/flare. Power is what got me out of that... it was instant and I'm glad my hand was on the throttle.

Sometimes I'll go rogue and use both hands to crank in that last notch of flaps.

NO HANDS ON THE THROTTLE OR YOKE!

Can you imagine that? :lol:

no, never

Me, too. Me neither? Whichever is correct, I fly with my left hand except in turbulence, when the second hand helps me hold on. Except for those times when everything is copacetic and I let go with both hands.

Never had to use two hands. Not in the plane, the urinal, the bedroom, anywhere....Only stick I have to use two hands with is a golf club. Man up and do some upper body workouts. Or trim.

Never had to use two hands. Not in the plane, the urinal, the bedroom, anywhere....Only stick I have to use two hands with is a golf club. Man up and do some upper body workouts. Or trim.

I have used two hands at night, in the bedroom. Perhaps a more inventive attitude would benefit you in these particular circumstances? :D

Plus all the awkward reaching...
Now on final, I might keep my left hand on the stick and use my right thumb for the trim.

oh good lord, the detail of your needs is not required or desired.

I have used two hands at night, in the bedroom. Perhaps a more inventive attitude would benefit you in these particular circumstances? :D

I mean I use two hands on her cowlings, but I thought that went without saying....

Are you sure your laundry basket is rigged correctly?

You should be able to one hand it.

Now then, my plane has a stick (Not yoke) and I've never had two hands on it for any reason. Doesn't even sound right.

A long time ago before I ever thought about getting a ppl I went up in a glider. The pilot was in the front seat. The second time he let me "take the ship" He said "now don't death grip the stick" "just use a couple of fingers" Interesting that he knew that from the front seat.

Sometimes I'll go rogue and use both hands to crank in that last notch of flaps.

NO HANDS ON THE THROTTLE OR YOKE!

Can you imagine that? :lol:
As noted in another thread, more people die from selfies than shark attacks.
SAM_1075.JPG

I don't recall ever using two hands.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

I often use both hands on the yoke in normal flight with the C-172. It allows me to keep the yoke balanced between my hands. A couple of times when flying with a CFI they assume that I'm flying out of trim because both hands are on the yoke, but no, when they ask, I take both hands off and the airplane is perfectly trimmed.

I usually put both hands on the yoke for landing. It helps keep me centered on the landing. This is after I am sure that I have the field made. The other day, I had a CFI grab the yoke and pull us up after I set up for landing and didn't have a hand on the throttle. I had no problem reaching over to the throttle and carb heat to execute a go-around.

Likewise, on the CTLS I use both hands on the stick for the short final. One reason for using both hands for the landing is that we are on a grass field and it makes it a lot easier to hold the nose up for the soft field landing if I have both hands on the yoke or stick.

Both hands, no, if you need to use both hands maybe eat some more steak and do some push-ups. Even in turboprops and out of trim situations I haven't had to use both hands.

I often use both hands on the yoke in normal flight with the C-172. It allows me to keep the yoke balanced between my hands. A couple of times when flying with a CFI they assume that I'm flying out of trim because both hands are on the yoke, but no, when they ask, I take both hands off and the airplane is perfectly trimmed.

I usually put both hands on the yoke for landing. It helps keep me centered on the landing. This is after I am sure that I have the field made. The other day, I had a CFI grab the yoke and pull us up after I set up for landing and didn't have a hand on the throttle. I had no problem reaching over to the throttle and carb heat to execute a go-around.

Likewise, on the CTLS I use both hands on the stick for the short final. One reason for using both hands for the landing is that we are on a grass field and it makes it a lot easier to hold the nose up for the soft field landing if I have both hands on the yoke or stick.

For landing keeping one hand on the yoke and the other on the power is a VERY important habit to develop.

If you need to do a quick go around, if there is a plane on final above you (ugh wing low wing convergence type thing), wind shift, or any of 100 other things, you'll need every split second you can get.

good point, I seem to do this mostly in a warrior, once or twice in an archer, never in the arrow or lance.

Those pipers have a bushing on the yoke rod that wears out, few flight schools or clubs bother to replace the bushing.

Anyway, when you are landing and have one hand on the yoke, the side load produced from pulling the yoke with one hand makes that bushing bind up, and the controls tend to stick in one place.

When I flew warriors a lot, I always carried a small bottle of silicone lubricant. Before flying, pull the yoke out, dribble a bit of lube on the shaft, then wipe it off with a paper towel. It will be like new for the next couple of flight hours.

Last edited:
Those pipers have a bushing on the yoke rod that wears out, few flight schools or clubs bother to replace the bushing.

Anyway, when you are landing and have one hand on the yoke, the side load produced from pulling the yoke with one hand makes that bushing bind up, and the controls tend to stick in one place.

When I flew warriors a lot, I always carried a small bottle of silicone lubricant. Before flying, pull the yoke out, dribble a bit of lube on the shaft, then wipe it off with a paper towel.

Huh?!

I've flown nearly all the PA28-X line and I've never had that happen, I'd imagine it would be a huge AD if your flight controls were binding up on landing.

Never

And I hope your CFI isn't reading this either. As a matter of fact, what's his phone number? Im calling him right now and putting a stop to this nonsense!

Of course the Cirrus makes this hard to accomplish, I have always preferred to have my other hand on the throttle. I would think someone could get themselves into a forced landing situation like porpoising doing that. Freeze up on the controls rather than apply power for a go around. I have flown with a couple guys in the past that grab the yoke with both hands as soon as they pull power out to flair. I never felt comfortable with that.

Huh?!

I've flown nearly all the PA28-X line and I've never had that happen, I'd imagine it would be a huge AD if your flight controls were binding up on landing.

I've felt it before on a well worn Cher 140. Usually near the aft end of the elev travel. The shaft seems to get cocked a little in the bushing and it gets a bit snug. Many pilots never get near the full aft end of the yoke travel because they drive the plane onto the runway.

As for using two hands, I was taught by a military pilot, and when I tried to put two hands on the stick in the Citabria for better control near the ground, he gave me a good azz chewing. So - no, never again in a yoke or stick plane.

HOTAS.

Back