Anyone got $25,000 to spare?

Ghery said:
Looks like there's going to be a scene in the sky not seen since WWII. And for only $25,000 you can be an integral part of it.

http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?ContentBlockID=7d08f4d3-90f1-4160-b870-4951683aee6c

My wife would kill me, but that would be fun!
Not to knock the coolness factor, seeing:

"The Me-262 embodies all the characteristics expected of an aircraft that changed aerial combat forever," said Flight Operations Director Rob Collings. "The mere sight of the Me-262 struck terror in the hearts of all Army Air Corps aircrew that saw it in the sky; it was just so far ahead of its time!"

reminds me of Chuck Yeager's comment:

"The first time a saw a Me262... I shot it down."

BTW one of my neighbors in Florida was the test pilot for the Me-262. I think he said it was about as scary as it was thrilling to fly because the engines kept blowing up. Hopefully the engines in this plane are more reliable.

Shoot . . .

if I had $25,000.00 to spare, I STILL wouldn't have $25,000.00 to spare!

:(

lancefisher said:
Not to knock the coolness factor, seeing:
...SNIP...
BTW one of my neighbors in Florida was the test pilot for the Me-262. I think he said it was about as scary as it was thrilling to fly because the engines kept blowing up. Hopefully the engines in this plane are more reliable.
It wasn't the engines it was the fuel they used in 1940s. The combination was a mixture of hydrozine, methyl alcohol, water, and concentrated hydrogen peroxide. Many times, it was refueled WHILE the engines were still running. WINGS (now The Military Channel) has had some good shows about it (with actual film).

John- um are you maybe thinking of the rocket powered Me-163?

IIRC the Me-262 was a jet that burned kerosene.

Flying in any warbird would be pretty darn cool. Maybe not $25g cool, but pretty darn cool. Much as I hate to admit it, might even be cooler than flying in a Sundowner.

Overheard on NY Departure Monday night "Jetblue XXX you have a Sundowner at your 1:00 out of 5000 climbing VERY slowly to 7000." Had the freq been less busy I might have responded. Heck, I was doing my best.

Back