Anyone going to the Rocky Mountain Airshow this weekend? (Aug 16-18)

Not going this year ... car shopping instead (oh boy ... groan) ...

I had enough when started charging ABSOLUTELY REDONKULOUS charges for static displays. I think they want $800-$900 to set up a booth. Last year we rolled the 3 club planes out into a taxiway where people could still see them and we just had a hangar picnic. So far, it's still free access to the public hangars if you're a tenant.

Yikes! I thought about going here too, but my brother (from KAPA) says don't bother.

That all being said, I may just forget all the airshow stuff this weekend and head to KFTG and see my bro and if anyone wants to meet up for a bite sometime this weekend ping me.

Last edited:
I'm going! Excited about it, even two weeks after Oshkosh. Fifi the B-29 and a B-24 will be there, and a good list of performers.

Yeah, it's a bit pricey between parking and admission. But I think they offer a lot, I want to support my local airports and vendors, and it's certainly a great local option. (I cheerfully paid $12 to walk around a B-17 and B-24 for an hour at at KFNL over 7/4, with no airshow or anything.)

I'm going! Excited about it, even two weeks after Oshkosh. Fifi the B-29 and a B-24 will be there, and a good list of performers.

Yeah, it's a bit pricey between parking and admission. But I think they offer a lot, I want to support my local airports and vendors, and it's certainly a great local option. (I cheerfully paid $12 to walk around a B-17 and B-24 for an hour at at KFNL over 7/4, with no airshow or anything.)

But you're not supporting the airport, but the "501c3" organization promoting the event. And until I see a current financial statement, I question how much of the money really goes to scholarships and other educational activities.

Yikes! I thought about going here too, but my brother (from KAPA) says don't bother.

That all being said, I may just forget all the airshow stuff this weekend and head to KFTG and see my bro and if anyone wants to meet up for a bite sometime this weekend ping me.
Bunch of us located at FTG. Lunch always good. And if you'd like to watch the Friday airshow and fireworks, there are lots of good viewing places near the airport. Check out the Park n Ride lots east of BJC.

Hi Murphey,
To restate it better: I feel it's important for me to support Colorado general aviation in my greater community by promoting the event to non-pilot/non-aviation friends and acquaintances, and by attending myself. I do the same thing for Erie's events, Boulder's Airport Day, Longmont's Airshow, EAA, AOPA, CABA, CPA, etc.

However, I completely agree with what you're saying. Knowing more about most 501C3 groups would be better for us and for them.

Not going this year ... car shopping instead (oh boy ... groan) ...

Buy me a truck while you're out. I'll write ya a check... (Scrounges through desk drawer for checkbook from closed account...)

Not officially planning on going either.

My wife has been after me to buy a new truck for a year now. I may have to turn in my man card but ain't gonna happen. I like my old Dodge Cummins and I love no payments.

My wife has been after me to buy a new truck for a year now. I may have to turn in my man card but ain't gonna happen. I like my old Dodge Cummins and I love no payments.

Unless you're going to jump all the way to 2011 Ford with the 6.7L or you like the old nothing-new-here-move-along Chevy with the Allison in the intervening years, there's no point in putting an old Dodge out to pasture.

Most folks say you'll eventually blow a tranny in yours if it's an auto, but they're cheap compared to the other two options mentioned.

I did have an epiphany that a new Ford is only costs $4500 a year for ten years yesterday. Heh. That makes it sound cheaper.

I could almost convince myself I would get $4500 a year worth of enjoyment out of it. But not quite. ;)

Maybe instead I should dump $4500 into the Yukon and lift it. Just because its ridiculous and fun. Ha. Seems like the "in" thing to do out here in Elbert County anyway. LOL! Monster truck the Yukon? Tee hee.

Nate - Have you had your well water checked? :D

Unless you're going to jump all the way to 2011 Ford with the 6.7L or you like the old nothing-new-here-move-along Chevy with the Allison in the intervening years, there's no point in putting an old Dodge out to pasture.

Most folks say you'll eventually blow a tranny in yours if it's an auto, but they're cheap compared to the other two options mentioned.

and most folks would be correct. This truck is on its 3rd auto tranny with 199k miles on it. #1 went south at around 100k, #2 went at 145k and that's when I went to a friend who runs a diesel performance shop for help. He guaranteed this one will hold up to 500hp - I think he did that because he's building twin and triple turbo units for the Cummins now :) eliminating one excuse for me. The wallet is the biggest excuse keeping me from putting twin turbos on it.

I believe his personal truck is turning somewhere around 800 hp and over 1000 lb ft of torque. I don't need that to haul the 5er around the mountains but there are those times where extra ponies would be a lot of fun. The 100hp injectors make enough, but no such thing as "too much horsepower" :D

The Airshow was pretty darn good, and Fifi was mighty, mighty impressive. The B-29 arrived in formation with a B-24, and flew twice today.

Here's a photo for y'all to enjoy!

Attachments

• DSC_4576.JPG
    DSC_4576.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 12
Tom - I really enjoyed your photos! Look for a PM. AirmanG

Back