Anyone going to Nationals?

Ken Ibold

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ken Ibold
Anyone going to Denison at the end of the month? Chip? Diana?

Signed,
A man with an expense account

Ken Ibold said:
Anyone going to Denison at the end of the month? Chip? Diana?
Darn, I'm not going this year. Maybe next year if I get involved in competition. Do they do the primary sequence at Nationals?

Besides, the Citablueberria will probably be in the process of being torn down about then. Unless the oil loss problem gets solved. If not it'll get torn down sooner. :(

Ken Ibold said:
Signed,
A man with an expense account
You going to swing by and do the EAA thing in NW AR? Got time to come stay at the farm? :)

Signed,
A man with an expense account[/QUOTE]

I don't have an expense account, so can I use yours?

Ken,

I don't plan to fly at Nationals but I'm going to go down for a day or two to root for my buddies. Unless I can get a yard pass from Becca to go down for five or six days straight I'll be in the Bonanza.

Update on Nationals?

Ken and Chip are having WAY too much fun in TX. I'm unhappy with both of them for having fun without me!! Wish I was there! Maybe they'll give us an update?

Re: Update on Nationals?

Diana said:
Ken and Chip are having WAY too much fun in TX. I'm unhappy with both of them for having fun without me!! Wish I was there! Maybe they'll give us an update?
Well, we had a lot of fun but one can never have TOO much of that. Ken is still there and was planning to attend the closing banquet tonight. The flying was awesome. Maybe I can give it a go next year.

Diana will be especially happy to know that Sportsman was won by a young man flying a Super Decathlon. He did a wonderful job flying the airplane and impressed everyone there.

Intermediate was won by a friend of mine so I had a great time swilling a beer or two with him.

Ken and I laughed a lot and I stayed sober despite his attempts to corrupt my young, impressionable self. A fun time was had by all.

(Ken, by the way, does a nice job flying the Bonanza. I think he should buy one :) )

Chip

gibbons said:
(Ken, by the way, does a nice job flying the Bonanza. I think he should buy one :) )
I think so too. :D

And any time you need someone to fly whilst you figure out your new panel, give me a buzz!

gibbons said:
Diana will be especially happy to know that Sportsman was won by a young man flying a Super Decathlon. He did a wonderful job flying the airplane and impressed everyone there.
Sorry I missed it.

Were there any other high wing airplanes competing, or was he the only one? What type airplanes flew the primary sequences?

Diana said:
Were there any other high wing airplanes competing, or was he the only one? What type airplanes flew the primary sequences?
Primary only had three competitors, all in Pitts. A Citabria can certainly win that category, even at Nationals.

Only the one SuperD. Lots of Pitts, Extras, Sukhois, Edges ...

In virtually every category the airplane was far more capable than the pilot. It's an arms race. Which is kind of a shame.

Ken Ibold said:
Primary only had three competitors, all in Pitts. A Citabria can certainly win that category, even at Nationals.
Ken, have you thought about doing that?

Ken Ibold said:
In virtually every category the airplane was far more capable than the pilot. It's an arms race. Which is kind of a shame.
Interesting. And a touch sad. Maybe Chip can change that next year. :)

Ken Ibold said:

So, both you and Chip suggest something like an S2B, but would a new-B acro pilot be better off in a Citabria or Super-D until they learned the basics?

Bill Jennings said:
So, both you and Chip suggest something like an S2B, but would a new-B acro pilot be better off in a Citabria or Super-D until they learned the basics?
Well, that depends on how many airplanes you want to buy and sell and what your long term goals are. If you are serious about acro, get what you think you will need long term. If you are dabbling and unsure of your long term involvement, something that is able to do something other than acro (ie Super D) might be in order.

Personally, I don't believe the Citabria is suited for anything beyond recreational acro and Primary competition.

Now, an S-1 (on an experimental airworthiness certificate) can be a relatively cheap purchase and gives good acro bang for the buck. But it's a single seater with very limited range, so the utility for flying other than acro is limited. Plus, in general experimental airplanes seem to need more frequent maintenance, and an experimental acro airplane will need extreme vigilance. Only you can decide if you're up to it.

Back