Anyone from the Portland Oregon area?

Brandon White

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Brandon
New to the forum and am curious if anyone in my area are on the forum. Also jump over to Bend quite a bit and that is where I started my training. Still working on PPL and looking for new flight school in the PDX area.

Welcome! A bunch of folks on the Facebook group "flights across the Pacific Northwest". Join that, but come visit here too. On this forum, pilawt was from the couv and likely has some intel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I lived in Portland for a while, now living in Salem and training out of KSLE. I don’t know if it qualifies as the PDX area, but the club rates and instructors can’t be beat. Welcome!

No, but I have to go there for work on Sunday.

Depending where you are in Portland, the most convenient GA field may be across the river in Vancouver WA. Historic Pearson Field (KVUO) is the closest airport to downtown Puddletown. That's where I was based for 21 years until moving to AZ earlier this year.

Pearson's runway is 3200'x60' so your training won't be spoiled by excessive pavement. It's uncontrolled, but because of its proximity to KPDX there is an unusual -- but very easy -- ATC communication requirement. The lone FBO on the field, Aero Maintenance (360-735-9441) has a fleet of ... um, experienced ... C-150s and 172s. They won't win any beauty titles, but they're well maintained. Tell Clu at the front desk I sent you.

Lots of interesting aviation history at Pearson, going back to 1905. Go on a Saturday and visit the Education Center; see the Chkalov Memorial, and wander around Officers Row and the replica of Fort Vancouver.

We gotta go thru Portland every time we go to Medford. Does that count?

Last edited:
I grew up in Seattle and have visited relatives in Portland many times. My favorite airport in the area is Twin Oaks Airpark south of Hillsboro. Great fuel prices, and a friendly place. They have planes for rent and offer instruction.

https://www.twinoaksairpark.com/

New to the forum and am curious if anyone in my area are on the forum. Also jump over to Bend quite a bit and that is where I started my training. Still working on PPL and looking for new flight school in the PDX area.
I'm in Vancouver. http://www.aeromt.com/at VUO has a good traing department. Like @Pilawt says, the airplanes aren't 'pretty' but they're a safe and get the job done. It is a unique airport procedurely. You'll learn to deal with Tower controllers at an uncontrolled airport. Good plane and instructor availability if you schedule a few days in advance. I've flown with a few of the CFI's. PM me if you want to know more. http://gorgewindsinc.com/ is at TTD, Troutdale. I've rented, got a BFR there and was satisfied. I agree with @Palmpilot about Twin Oaks. They have the nicest planes, they are a few $$ more per hour. You will need renters insurance to solo. http://www.atc-camas.com/ at Grove, 1W1 is in the area. They were active a year or so ago, I figure they still are. Probably get down to where you live and how much driving you want to do.

Last edited:
Depending where you are in Portland, the most convenient GA field may be across the river in Vancouver WA. Historic Pearson Field (KVUO) is the closest airport to downtown Puddletown. That's where I was based for 21 years until moving to AZ earlier this year.

Pearson's runway is 3200'x60' so your training won't be spoiled by excessive pavement. It's uncontrolled, but because of its proximity to KPDX there is an unusual -- but very easy -- ATC communication requirement. The lone FBO on the field, Aero Maintenance (360-735-9441) has a fleet of ... um, experienced ... C-150s and 172s. They won't win any beauty titles, but they're well maintained. Tell Clu at the front desk I sent you.

Lots of interesting aviation history at Pearson, going back to 1905. Go on a Saturday and visit the Education Center; see the Chkalov Memorial, and wander around Officers Row and the replica of Fort Vancouver.

Thanks for the info! I've been searching all over the Portland area and never thought to look across the river. They have a good website and maybe the best rates I've seen so far for the area. I'll definitely be checking it out.

I grew up in Seattle and have visited relatives in Portland many times. My favorite airport in the area is Twin Oaks Airpark south of Hillsboro. Great fuel prices, and a friendly place. They have planes for rent and offer instruction.

https://www.twinoaksairpark.com/
Are you still in Seattle? I lived up there for a few years and have many friends up there. I actually began my flight training at KRNT about 10 years ago. I have looked into Twin Oaks and it would be my first choice if it weren't about an hour drive from where i'm living.

Are you still in Seattle? I lived up there for a few years and have many friends up there. I actually began my flight training at KRNT about 10 years ago. I have looked into Twin Oaks and it would be my first choice if it weren't about an hour drive from where i'm living.
I moved away in about 1970. I'm currently in the San Francisco Bay area.

I went out to Pearson this afternoon and got on the schedule for next Friday! I'm feeling pretty good, I really like the atmosphere. Seem like a good group of people. I'd been out to another spot near me and didn't get the same warm reception. Thanks everyone for the recommendations.

Pearson is a great place. Bill Frost is one of the young CFIs at Aero Maintenance -- good guy. Say hi to him for me if you see him. You'll often see the airport manager hanging around the lobby there -- Willy Williamson, one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.

Back