Anyone for Las Vegas???

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
Sometime later in this week my Skyhawk will probably be seen in Las Vegas. The disappointment is that I won't be flying her. My CFI just got married. He and his bride are going to take a trip ----------- with two other friends. Problem: his plane is a C-150. So he called and proposed a trade-off: more lessons for the use of my plane. Very few people have flown my bird, its longest trip was to Langley Air Force Base(is that the one near D.C.?) when a young friend and his ERAU classmate went to a Thunderbirds Air Show, and his friend's uncle was a member of the Thunderbirds flight team.

My CFI was a bush pilot in Alaska for several years before coming back to Maine. As of today he's not certain the other stops along the way but Vegas is the destination toward the week's end. Useful Load = 942.6 lbs.
Hmmm: 228(fuel) + 714.6 = 942.6. I hope they travel with the traditional honeymoon kit.

But please: If anyone sees the bird along the way, get pictures. I've told him I want photos of wherever they stop.

It should be a great trip for the plane which has about 15 hours since zero-time overhaul. They'll be gone for about a week+.

HR

Attachments

• N7872G 032207 From #25 to 07.jpg
    N7872G 032207 From #25 to 07.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 10
Wow.. That'll be one heckuva trip in a 172. I suppose if the honeymooners can survive the trip, they'll know they can survive marriage.

More power to 'em. My wife and I both learned a lot on our trip to Vegas from Iowa in the 160+kt RV. Can't imagine 2 1/2 times farther in a 110kt 172.

Good luck!

EDIT: Just did a quick and dirty "direct via GPS, No wind" flight plan for a 172 @ 115kts -- 18:27 one-way. Wowzas. That's a long time for 4 people to be crammed in a 172. Sounds like one of those "Are you glad you use Dial?" commercials. :yes: Sounds like an adventure!

Last edited:
Greg asked me about fuel burn. I told him 8 gph but that I normally flight plan with 9. However, she doesn't have enough time SMOH -- and addition of Power Flow Tuned Exhaust -- to have determined any decreased fuel burn as professed by PFS. Most flights have been pretty much localized as opposed to long distance cruising.

HR

any idea where fuel stops will be along the way?

Not yet. They may leave Tuesday or Wednesday. I've told him to keep me posted as to where they make their stops.

HR

If it only has 15 hours on it, they're still in the burn-in period for the engine, right? Isn't there a required oil change at about 25 hours, to get off the pure mineral oil? When it gets back, it'll have more that 52 hours!

If it only has 15 hours on it, they're still in the burn-in period for the engine, right? Isn't there a required oil change at about 25 hours, to get off the pure mineral oil? When it gets back, it'll have more that 52 hours!

Greg and I discussed that last night. He'll probably have an oil change done -- with mineral oil -- after arriving at his destination, which might be Arizona -- before or after -- Las Vegas. Exact flight plan I don't know but he called a 1/2 hour ago and should be in the air soon. Programmed stops are Pittsburgh and Oklahoma City; others not specific at this time.

N7872G; Can his flight be tracked on the Flightaware.com site? I haven't punched up the site, yet.

HR

EDIT: We also discussed that, pending the run time at destination, he might go back to the 15/50 which the bird had run previously.

Last edited:
if hes IFR it will be tracked. not quite coming very close to me.

if hes IFR it will be tracked. not quite coming very close to me.

I'd think that he being CFI/CFII, and the long distance, he'll not be fiddling around with VFR. FlightAware(departure airport KIWI) has nothing on file at this time. I'll be watching, aware that when I talked to him he still had to travel to the departure airport.

HR

Nothing there yet...

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N7872G

He'll show up if he's IFR, or if he gets VFR flight following from an ARTCC who hands him off to the next sector...

Aha! Y'all got me thinking, so I called Greg. He's going to delay their departure until Wednesday morning; and will fly VFR with flight following. And he'll not do night flying. Oh yeah, and my plane only has the basic minimums for IFR. Keep watching -- tomorrow.

HR

EDIT: They -- and only Greg and his bride(the other couple are flying commercial) -- left at 1500 DST Wednesday. In the photos all you'll see of Tina is a foot in #2 and a waving hand during departure.

Attachments

• N7872G Vegas1.jpg
    N7872G Vegas1.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 4
  • N7872G Vegas2.jpg
    N7872G Vegas2.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 5
  • N7872G Vegas3.jpg
    N7872G Vegas3.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 3
  • N7872G Vegas4.jpg
    N7872G Vegas4.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I don't get Vegas. Is it just me, but I find it a bit depressing.

Had the same conversation with a friend at lunch today. Neither of us cares for Vegas one iota. Hot, concrete, rude people, no redeeming social values (j/k - I know there must be something redeeming...). Worse, her daughter goes to college at UNLV....

Had the same conversation with a friend at lunch today. Neither of us cares for Vegas one iota. Hot, concrete, rude people, no redeeming social values (j/k - I know there must be something redeeming...). Worse, her daughter goes to college at UNLV....

I spent one weekend there with my wife and another couple. Hated it. Couldn't wait to go home.

I spent one weekend there with my wife and another couple. Hated it. Couldn't wait to go home.

I, unfortunately, had to go there for conventions for about 10 years. And one large corporate meeting. For the first time or two, conventions were fun. At the end, I reduced myself to about a day and a half before I had to leave.

I was back one time about 2 years ago when a real estate group was trying to get me to come there and do investment properties for them. I couldn't rationalize the business, and I'm quite glad it didn't work out.

I don't get the appeal of Vegas. At all.

I can watch for it in Pittsburgh. Will he be landing at KAGC?

He didn't specify. You must remember, I'm here where one airport is miles and towns away from another, as opposed to five or six airports within "city limits" or suburbs. :eek:)

HR

He didn't specify. You must remember, I'm here where one airport is miles and towns away from another, as opposed to five or six airports within "city limits" or suburbs. :eek:)

HR

lol I do miss the northeast. My uncle has a camp up in northern Maine. Can't wait to get my float sign off so I can fly to it.

One of the veterans at Wiscasset has a C-185, and it's sporting brand new Wipaires.

In daylight it is just a filthy town. At night is uninspiring to me. It would look much better if there was a power outage IMHO. :)

Leaving Sunday morn for Las Vegas (actually Henderson) for a class. Not looking forward to the trip on a commercial a320 (American West or US Air, cn't tell which badge).
Hopefully, I'll get a couple of hours flying in.

While my bird was heading for run-up the SCOUT was ready for #25. If any of you attended the Great Float Plane Fly-in(recently) at Greenville, ME you probably saw either this SCOUT or the owner's CARAVAN on floats.
(http://www.brby.com/)

HR

Attachments

• N7872G and SCOUT 092607.jpg
    N7872G and SCOUT 092607.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • N7872G and SCOUT3.jpg
    N7872G and SCOUT3.jpg
    771.3 KB · Views: 5
Depressing and stupid. I have to go there a lot due to relatives living there. I have given up on anything in town. We spend our time out in the mountains and desert areas. There is some really cool and beautiful stuff outside of Las Vegas.

Anyone in Dayton, Ohio today keep a watch for N7872G(Red and White), but I don't know how long she'll be there.

HR

Back