Anyone Fly into KORL Recently? $50 fee

Dave,

I was parked all the way down at the west end maybe 3 spots from the end. Luckily from now on, I can go into Cherokee County.

All pilots have knowledge that some FBO have ramp fees. When you recklessly enter you agree to the fees.

So you are saying that there is implied consent to charge me whatever they want and my only recourse is to not go there again?

Where is that written?

All diners have knowledge that waitresses make their money through tips, yet if I choose not to leave a tip, which some do, there is no legal recourse for the waitstaff at all.

Your argument holds no water.

I bet the contract I signed to pay ramp fees everywhere is stored somewhere near that "social contract" I supposedly signed to society somewhere. :)

Line staff never did anything with my plane.
I didn't park on their ramp.
$75 to push a button to open the door? GTFO. Even at $20/hr CSR pay, I needed their "services" for less than one minute. 1 minute @ $20/hr is a quarter, a nickle, and four pennies.
They never did (charge an exorbitant fee) before Hawthorne came to town.

Try again.

Oh, and they have comments on airnav disabled and don't (at least the time) post them on their website so you can't even find out ahead of time.

Who’s ramp did you park on and why didnt they get you through the fence? Sounds to me like you were a clueless guy wondering around the airport.

Last edited:
Who’s ramp did you park on and why didnt they get you through the fence? Sounds to me like you were a clueless guy wondering around the airport.

You have earned an 'ignore' for 90 days. If you wish to appeal this ruling, please notify me...um, guess you won't be able to.

I fly out of KORL and the club I belong to uses Atlantic. Their service is quite good, but I had no idea transient fees were so high. Also, I went to their website and the only way to (maybe) get information was to make a reservation with aircraft make, model, N number and personal contact info. And it's not clear that will get you the fees.

At least at KORL you can use Sheltair so there is competition.

John

I'm charging you $75 for replying to my post. Oh, you didn't see I didn't have that posted somewhere in my profile? Doesn't matter, pay up.

As far as clueless. Not really. Been in there before, never had an issue. They made changes without posting notice that changes were made to increase the fees 10 fold and that they owned 100% of the ramp space. I have no problem with overnight fees. I have an issue with lack of transparency and extortion and being forced to use a private entity to get access to a public facility.

The MC has my contact info. I expect prompt payment for replying to me. Oh, you aren't going to pay? Sounds like you are a clueless keyboard warrior wandering around web forums.

i do take exception with the privatized gatekeeping with no public access option. even if the public option had a fee, at least there would be a more direct line of accountability. it certainly has been my experience that many of these pretentious fbos operate under the if you have to ask you cant afford it mantra. if i were going to a private access airport, knock yourself out. but a public access airport, hell naw gtfo with that classist nonsense.

It's cases like this where POA should post contact information to both the company and the city that signed the FBO agreement and flood them with complaint letters and postings. Enough people saying they will schedule their landings elsewhere and maybe something happens.

It's cases like this where POA should post contact information to both the company and the city that signed the FBO agreement and flood them with complaint letters and postings. Enough people saying they will schedule their landings elsewhere and maybe something happens.
But if all the people that don't want to pay anything go elsewhere, why would they care?

In most cases, letters would be best directed to the municipal authority that controls the FBO lease terms. The FBO doesn't really care if I don't come to their airport and go spend money in their community if they don't get a cut. The local government does care.

But if all the people that don't want to pay anything go elsewhere, why would they care?

In most cases, letters would be best directed to the municipal authority that controls the FBO lease terms. The FBO doesn't really care if I don't come to their airport and go spend money in their community if they don't get a cut. The local government does care.

100% of nothing is 0.

Of course these FBOs think of anyone that burns 100LL as nothing. But they could make more money if they actually didn't mark fuel up $4.00/gal, and charged $75 to open a door, unfortunately management is full of idiots with their own version of SJS.

100% of nothing is 0.

Of course these FBOs think of anyone that burns 100LL as nothing. But they could make more money if they actually didn't mark fuel up $4.00/gal, and charged $75 to open a door, unfortunately management is full of idiots with their own version of SJS.
That is 100% true, but in this country, businesses are free to set their own pricing policies (within the confines of contractual agreements). Management consultants routinely advise raising prices until a fair percentage of the people complain. Some of those complainers take their business elsewhere, but some stay and pay and continue to complain. At some point, you will raise prices enough that the ones that do stay provide a larger profit while serving fewer people, with the accompanying fewer headaches. It is the province of each business to try to figure out where that price point is.

That is why I say write to the municipality that negotiates the terms of the lease. Then they can put it in the contract renewal with the FBO.

I'm charging you $75 for replying to my post. Oh, you didn't see I didn't have that posted somewhere in my profile? Doesn't matter, pay up.

As far as clueless. Not really. Been in there before, never had an issue. They made changes without posting notice that changes were made to increase the fees 10 fold and that they owned 100% of the ramp space. I have no problem with overnight fees. I have an issue with lack of transparency and extortion and being forced to use a private entity to get access to a public facility.

The MC has my contact info. I expect prompt payment for replying to me. Oh, you aren't going to pay? Sounds like you are a clueless keyboard warrior wandering around web forums.

That’s ok, you owe me $650 for reading mine.

Seriously, you call yourself a pilot and don’t know there is going to be expensive ramp fee at large terminal airports at FBOs like Atlantic, Signature ect.....
so you walk in the door and act surprised or better yet claim they didn’t tell you in advance, cry ***** and moan about it.

Last edited:
Key West was $185 per day for the 425, plus some $25 daily fee! They offered a discount, I used the ramp fee money to book a first class ticket on Delta! Destin in $95 per day, I finally got them to give me one free day if I buy 120 gallons! Monthly tie down is $100.00, but they won’t let me do it that way!

100% of nothing is 0.

This is basically my complaint. Fees are high because they're catering to a class of user that isn't small GA. The belief is build it and they will come. They being the business class small jets/etc. Offer then services they think they want in a fancy FBO instead of a portapotty and a rundown 40 year old trailer. Those things cost money to operate. I personally don't want those services, but its the only one on some fields and your only way to get on/off the airport for GA.

I'm thinking some sort of statement should be sent out to all of the shiny jet FBOs stating that if they don't post their fees on their website it will be assumed that there will be no fees assessed for any transient aircraft, and have a website with a list of tail numbers that this applies to.

Try presenting them with a bill for an appearance fee. You made yourself and your plane available for interviews and photos. If they didn’t avail themselves of this and capitalize on your appearance, well, that’s their hard luck. You did your part by showing up and they owe you $200.

No prior notification of charges? Baby, that cuts two ways!

@EdFred you will love this one about Hawthorne at RYY. Customs now has a facility on the field. If you land and park on the Customs ramp, clear, and then go on your way, even if you don’t use any services, Hawthorne will hit you for a $400 fee.

@EdFred you will love this one about Hawthorne at RYY. Customs now has a facility on the field. If you land and park on the Customs ramp, clear, and then go on your way, even if you don’t use any services, Hawthorne will hit you for a $400 fee.
Makes you wonder how far the BS can escalate, doesn't it?

RYY is a user fee port of entry. Custom service is provided at RYY for those willing to pay an extra fee. This is not a new scheme to rip you off. User fee ports of entry have been in existence as long as I can remember.

An approved User Fee Airport receiving CBP services is responsible for payment of the following fees:
  • Per Inspector - $140,874 for the first year and $123,438 for succeeding years.
  • ADP costs per inspector - $17,042 to $21,062 (1st year) and $13,620 to $17,640 for succeeding years depending on the location.
  • Other associated costs such as overtime.
It takes RYY to have an average of 350 aircraft a year paying the $400 fee to break even.

Or land at PDK, where Customs will come out and clear you for free. Tough choice.

So Hawthorne charges you for services not even performed by them or contracted by them but by federal employees.

W
T
F

This reminds me of a bill I got in the mail for some airport in NY that I just flew near. Didn't land at. Was heading north and stopped at 44N for fuel, probably flew within 10 miles of their airport. I called and asked how they knew it was my plane. I guess they pay people to watch even VFR aircraft not on FF and send them bills.

This reminds me of a bill I got in the mail for some airport in NY that I just flew near. Didn't land at. Was heading north and stopped at 44N for fuel, probably flew within 10 miles of their airport. I called and asked how they knew it was my plane. I guess they pay people to watch even VFR aircraft not on FF and send them bills.

And their explanation for sending you a bill was...? I'm assuming you didn't pay it.

Did you bill them for looking at your aircraft? Makes about as much sense as billing you for looking at their airport.

Thanks. I hadn't looked at that site before, just AirNav. I do wonder if what they say about the airport being completely self-funded is actually true. I would be surprised if they didn't receive funding from the FAA, the State of Colorado, etc., but I suppose it could be true. Another odd thing: the landing fee quoted there was $2 per 1000 lbs takeoff weight (for a/c less than 12,500 lbs). That would be only $4 for my RV-9. I paid over $20 last year, I suppose they must have added other fees in there. :)
I believe the county charges the landing fee not the fbo

Flew to Eagle to have lunch with family. 10 gals or 40 bucks just to park for a couple hours. Of course I was the only piston on the ramp

I believe the county charges the landing fee not the fbo
That's possible. I know that the invoice for the fee comes from the FBO, but they might pass the funds directly on to the county?

Flew to Eagle to have lunch with family. 10 gals or 40 bucks just to park for a couple hours. Of course I was the only piston on the ramp
That actually sounds like a pretty fair deal if you get 10 gallons of 100LL for $40. Or was the $40 a separate fee?

That's possible. I know that the invoice for the fee comes from the FBO, but they might pass the funds directly on to the county?

That actually sounds like a pretty fair deal if you get 10 gallons of 100LL for $40. Or was the $40 a separate fee?

It was awhile back. 100LL was around $3.25 at GJT I think. And I could take 10 gallons. So no it wasn't terrible price and did have good spread by the coffee. More the attitude than anything else.

Back