Anyone fly in Door County, WI?

tylerdurden4543

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
tylerdurden4543
We're coming up for labor day weekend and would love to go flying out of KSUE or 3D2. I tried to get ahold of Tailwinds at Sturgeon Bay to rent a 172 but haven't had much luck there.

Best,
Tyler

Wow, wish I could help you.
Bring Bicycles and do Washington Island!

Would love to but a little intimidated by my first actual turf landing. I suppose I could do it at 3D2 and if all goes well, head up to Washington Island.

Well, if you want to try a turf landing at a really easy place first (3400' lighted), just 90 miles northwest is 40D, Three Lakes. That's where I've actually seen a jet on the turf before!

Actually if you want to try your first turf landing and are headed up that way may I suggest you go just a bit futher and attend the 6Y9er labor day flyin. It is a very well maintained strip and on of the most fantastic times you will ever have at a flyin. PLUS there were be plenty of folks who can help you out practicing landings.

Pilots flying there should remember to recalculate W&B prior to departure, primarily due to the number of pies and pastries consumed.

Pilots flying there should remember to recalculate W&B prior to departure, primarily due to the number of pies and pastries consumed.

Absolutely. Be sure to visit the White Gull Inn, in Fish Creek. Order their cherry-stuffed French toast, and home made hash browns for breakfast. And don't miss their traditional Door County fish boil.

Mmmmmm...I miss Door County. We patterned our delivered breakfast after the White Gull Inn's.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

It's fun to watch the crowd on the veranda wet their collective britches when the guy throws the can of kerosene on the fire to creast the boil-over.
Absolutely. Be sure to visit the White Gull Inn, in Fish Creek. Order their cherry-stuffed French toast, and home made hash browns for breakfast. And don't miss their traditional Door County fish boil.

Mmmmmm...I miss Door County. We patterned our delivered breakfast after the White Gull Inn's.

It's fun to watch the crowd on the veranda wet their collective britches when the guy throws the can of kerosene on the fire to creast the boil-over.

Yes, it is. And when it's 5 below zero, that heat feels pretty darned good!

I'd love to hit 6Y9 but I can't find a stupid plane. Tailwinds at KSUE is now saying they don't have a CFI to do the check-out and maybe they can get someone to come up from KGRB. Not holding my breath.

I told them I'm current in the exact same plane but I'm sure it's an insurance thing.

If I ever want to leave corporate life in New York, I'm increasing my ratings and opening an FBO in Door County (oh, assuming I hit the lottery first)...

We usually head up to the Viking for their Fish Boil but actually think we're going to do one at the house this year! BOILOVER!

I'd love to hit 6Y9 but I can't find a stupid plane. Tailwinds at KSUE is now saying they don't have a CFI to do the check-out and maybe they can get someone to come up from KGRB. Not holding my breath.

I told them I'm current in the exact same plane but I'm sure it's an insurance thing.

If I ever want to leave corporate life in New York, I'm increasing my ratings and opening an FBO in Door County (oh, assuming I hit the lottery first)...

We usually head up to the Viking for their Fish Boil but actually think we're going to do one at the house this year! BOILOVER!

Just rent a car and drive. It's a lovely drive, with lots of neat, eclectic shops to keep the chicks happy.

We've done the Viking, but IMHO the White Gull is a much nicer place, with better food.

As for opening an FBO in Ephraim, remember they get very little traffic in the summer, and NO traffic in the winter. It would have to be a "hobby" FBO, cuz for sure there's no money in it.

There may be a possibility of bumming a ride to 6Y9 from somebody heading up there from the Chicago area. Not exactly what you're after but it might get you to 6Y9 and get you some time in a plane. Create a post in the 6Y9 forum if it's something you'd be interested in.

Back