Anyone fly GA to Cancun?

n12365

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
I am planning on flying to Cancun, Mexico the first week in July. Does anyone have any experience with flying GA into Cancun? If so, I would love to hear about your experience and any advice you may have.

I haven't used a ground handling service on any of my previous international trips, but they have all been to smaller airports in Canada and the Caribbean. I am not opposed to using one, but all the ones I have seen advertised appear to target business jets, not someone in a light piston twin. Anyone have any experience with handlers in Mexico?

Ryan

I've flown to western Mexico and Baja, but never the Caribbean. Probably the best source of info for this trip is Rick Gardner at caribbeanskytours.com

He's the AOPA rep for Mexico and has a business including planning and facilitating trips like that.

Jon

Yea, it was before hurricane Frances. I flew into Cozumel and later Merida not Cancun. Frances really wiped the place our right after we left. The tie downs there are wider in the States. Bring your own ropes and make 'em about four feet longer so they reach. We just taxied into parking, no ground tug or other help other than an armed guard on the ramp. You probably know about Customs and the decal you need. The have a fee to land there and the first time in Mexico each year: bring cash for that and fuel. Fuel was cheap when I went compared to the States but they didn't take any credit cards--cash Senior.
Great place in many regards. Pepe's was our favorite restaurant, but there were several good ones.
Let me know if I can help. I had phone numbers before I last went and called to check on a couple things.

Here's a link to the FBO in Cancun with some phone numbers.
http://www.cancun-airport.net/fbo-cancun.php

Best,

Dave

Last edited:
I just got back from spending five days in Cancun. Mexico was a lot of fun and the paperwork for customs and immigration was straight forward. The only Mexico specific paperwork I was asked for was proof of insurance from a Mexican insurance company. The Cancun airport and the local FBO was well run and it was similar to flying into a class C airport. The entire Cancun area felt incredibly safe.

Ryan

Back