Anyone fly GA into BWI lately?

Fearless Tower

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fearless Tower
Going to be flying into BWI this week and noticed something on the Jepp taxi diagram I hadn't seen before the last time I flew there.

There is a note for GA to contact UNICOM prior to arrival on the GA ramp for 'security reasons'

Do they want you to call them before landing or once on the ground, but before taxiing onto the ramp?

Just call as you turn into the ramp. You do not want to leave ground control's frequency while still in a movement area. They just want a heads up so they can meet you (used to be they were sharp enough that they'd not miss an arriving aircraft but Signature has gone to hell over the years). If you have questions, call them, they will also run you through the myriad of fees paid to them, the state, etc...

Ok, so it's a Signature thing. Yeah, I don't recall seeing the note before.

This will be an Angel Flight, so they are supposed to waive the fees. We'll see how that works out.

Thanks!

Just call as you turn into the ramp. You do not want to leave ground control's frequency while still in a movement area. They just want a heads up so they can meet you (used to be they were sharp enough that they'd not miss an arriving aircraft but Signature has gone to hell over the years). If you have questions, call them, they will also run you through the myriad of fees paid to them, the state, etc...

That's what comm 2 is for. Comm 1 is ATC, Comm 2 is company/ATIS/ops...

Back