Anyone flown to Bermuda?

Fearless Tower

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fearless Tower
Doing the math and I can make it easily in the Baron. Last time I was in Bermuda was in the merchant marine back in the mid 90s.

Anyone have experience flying there?

Last I recall no AvGas available there so if you need it, you'll have to prearrange it.

A phone call a few days ahead of time will have a drum or two of 100LL waiting for you. It'll be the cheapest part of your Bermuda vacation. :lol:

A phone call a few days ahead of time will have a drum or two of 100LL waiting for you. It'll be the cheapest part of your Bermuda vacation. :lol:
Yeah, probably just cost a few cartons of Marlboro Reds

A guy in the Aerostar club flew his 700 there. As mentioned, he had to prearrange for AvGas barrels to be sent out, but it was otherwise pretty straightforward. I think he lost communication with NY Control at some point, but this was expected and standard for that route.

There is AVGAS in Bermuda!
I staged four bbls out there this summer, haven't had the chance to use it yet, my plan is to maintain a stock for visiting aircraft, (and my personal use).

Walter Matthau flew to Bermuda from Sea Island, Georgia, in a Lake Buccaneer in the movie Hopscotch (1980). ;)

(The actress who played the Lake's charter pilot was Lucy Saroyan, Matthau's real-life stepdaughter. Great film with some good GA flying scenes.)

What do you do if you need to divert when you get there?

http://www.airsafety.aero/getattach...150401_ALPR06_OTAR_Part_91_Issue_9-0.pdf.aspx

91.265 & 91.280

give some guidance,

Bottom line:

Unless you have enough range to make it back to the US, you will end up in the water.

Which means, good weather needs to be observed and forecast.

AND, you need to bring a raft and be prepared to get wet.

Realistically, You should plan on arriving at TXKF with two hours of fuel, that is enough time to clear enough runway or taxi way to get in. I would consider 2000' and five miles as an absolute minimum weather forecast for making the trip over (or back).

Reply minus reference link:

91.265 & 91.280

give some guidance,

Bottom line:

Unless you have enough range to make it back to the US, you will end up in the water.

Which means, good weather needs to be observed and forecast.

AND, you need to bring a raft and be prepared to get wet.

Realistically, You should plan on arriving at TXKF with two hours of fuel, that is enough time to clear enough runway or taxi way to get in. I would consider 2000' and five miles as an absolute minimum weather forecast for making the trip over (or back

To track down the regulations,

Google OTAR Regulations

Select part 91

You'll be on your way.

Bottom line:

Ceilings, visibility and winds can all impact whether you'll be successful in being able to land in Bermuda.

Anyone uncomfortable with having to make go/no go decisions in the planning process, prior to take off, and prior to the point of no return should take Delta (who does a nice job).

If there is interest, I will post more info and links to my Bermuda trip.

Back