Anyone familiar with Wings 'n Things at CXY?

fszczerba

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
fcs
We are looking at purchasing and airplane that was porpoised on landing about 15 months ago, resulting in a prop strike and some damage to the nose gear and tail. The engine tear down was done by Mattituck, so no real worries there. The R&R on the engine and the airframe work was done at Wings 'n Things at CXY. There was no firewall damage, the engine mount was repaired at Aerospace Welding. A number of airframe parts were replaced with new Piper parts:

• 62445-000 rear bulkhead
  • 62455-000 hat section stringer
  • 65245-000 trim support rib
  • 99471-002 aft LT bottom skin
  • 79563-907 front LT side skin
  • 66769-000 tail skid
  • 35156-00 nose landing gear axle
  • 40-77B 5.00x5 wheel assembly

The nose landing gear strut was resealed, and new hardware and bearings were used in the reassembly.

I spoke with the shop owner and it sounds like they did a very thorough job.

The airplane has only flown 15 hours since the work was done, and only about 5 hours in the last 9 months, so we'll definitely get the engine bore-scoped to check for corrosion. The engine is still on mineral oil, and is only about 95 hours out of the Mattituck overhaul to new limits done in late 2009.

Anyone familiar with Wings 'n Things that can give an opinion on their work? Anything else we should look out for in a pre-buy?

What did they do to the prop? Did they replace the blades?

The prop and governor were overhauled by East Coast Propeller Service and reinstalled. I just have the airframe log entry for that, I'll request the prop log entries.

It would be good to know if the original blades are still in the prop, or if new blades were installed in the old hub. If the latter, I'd want to know why. If the blades were bent beyond repair, and new blades were installed in the old hub, that's a no-no, at least for a Hartzell prop, but I think it's the the same criteria applies if it's a McCauley as well.

It would be good to know if the original blades are still in the prop, or if new blades were installed in the old hub. If the latter, I'd want to know why. If the blades were bent beyond repair, and new blades were installed in the old hub, that's a no-no, at least for a Hartzell prop, but I think it's the the same criteria applies if it's a McCauley as well.

McCaulley does allow hubs to be reused.

I got the prop logs, it's a Hartzell HC-C3YR-1RF/F7663R. The blade serial numbers match the last prop overhaul, so I guess the damage must have been pretty slight. I'll call the prop shop on Monday and get more details.

Back