Anyone familiar with AIS (marine) range?

alfadog

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
alfadog
I am setting up some semi-ruggedized laptops I have on hand for marine nav and selling them on eBay. I set them up with a GPS, OpenCPN, and Gen 1 WX Worx receivers that I collected (I had a few of the receivers but sold them all now). Anyway, one fellow purchased a nice little AIS unit and had it shipped to me direct to include in the nav package.

http://www.milltechmarine.com/AMEC-CYPHO-150-AIS-Receiver_p_263.html

The fellow is sending me an antenna but it is likely 1/4 λ at best. My question is how close to transmitting traffic do I need to be to pick up anything? I live in Miami and about 5 miles from Biscayne Bay. My sailing club is right on the Bay and maybe another 5 miles from Dodge Island shipping. Will I pick up anything at the club?

You'll pick up everything on the east coast, actually much of the world's littoral waters, deep sea as well, but that's kinda a funny back door setup using Internet data, I haven't set it up but I have used it. From where you are, you will not only see the vessels' units (range is approx 25nm give or take by antenna height and line of sight to get their designator, typically the data pack comes through around 15), you will also see the shore based antenna/relay station for the system which will fill in far and wide from the whole network depending on the software and settings.

BTW, I'd be interested in seeing one of your units, I'm in the market for a new laptop.

You'll pick up everything on the east coast, actually much of the world's littoral waters, deep sea as well, but that's kinda a funny back door setup using Internet data, I haven't set it up but I have used it. From where you are, you will not only see the vessels' units (range is approx 25nm give or take by antenna height and line of sight to get their designator, typically the data pack comes through around 15), you will also see the shore based antenna/relay station for the system which will fill in far and wide from the whole network depending on the software and settings.

BTW, I'd be interested in seeing one of your units, I'm in the market for a new laptop.

This is a VHF receiver so wouldn't I just pick up vessels within VHF range? I was hoping for about 10 mile range from the dock of the sailing club.

The laptop is an older machine but I picked up a dozen or so of them a few years back in pristine condition. The laptop alone is $299 shipped. Basically it is something that you won't cry too much about if it is lost or damaged but still gets the job done. I have only one more WX unit but it is Gen 2 so I would want a bit more than the below for the complete setup.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131049917335?orig_cvip=true

Last edited:
This is a VHF receiver so wouldn't I just pick up vessels within VHF range? I was hoping for about 10 mile range from the dock of the sailing club.

The laptop is an older machine but I picked up a dozen or so of them a few years back in pristine condition. The laptop alone is $299 shipped. Basically it is something that you won't cry too much about if it is lost or damaged but still gets the job done. I have only one more WX unit but it is Gen 2 so I would want a bit more than the below for the complete setup.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131049917335?orig_cvip=true

VHF range goes further than 10 miles line of site dependent, and like I said, you're also within range of the shore station which transmits out everything in the network, so you will get more than just the boat transponders.

Back