Anyone every use PHPizabi ?

RJM62

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geek on the Hill
Anyone use this software? Any impressions?

I've been playing around with it on one of my sites, and I think it looks promising. Not fully polished yet, but I think it does have potential.

What I've tested so far works, though I haven't tested much. Been farting around with the templates and trying to decide where to put the ads. (Hey, first things first, after all.) The code is pretty straightforward and easy to work with.

And oh yeah, it's free.

Here's the one I'm playing with:

http://www.flysportusa.com/community/?

-Rich

Well, I've been playing with this for a couple of days now (business is real slow these days, so it's as much a boredom project as anything else). Everything I've tried seems to work pretty well.

The chatroom crashed during testing early this morning, and in a very odd way (403 errors all over the place). After poking around a bit, I noticed that cPanel had also gone down. cPanel and its various services appeared to restart correctly from the terminal, but I kept getting an unspecified fatal error when trying to log in with a browser.

A little more poking around and I found the culprit (a permissions problem, probably the result of a funky cPanel update) and fixed it; and both cPanel and the chatroom came back to life.

I think with a little polishing, this PHPizabi software has potential. It installs and configures easily, is easy to modify, and seems to fundamentally work. It has a few quirks, but I haven't come across anything truly horrible or not easily fixable yet. And it's free.

I'm going to try it out on a few more sites that I own. When I become more familiar and / or comfortable with it, maybe I'll offer it to clients. Communities seem to be a big thing these days.

-Rich

I'd never heard of it...but it looks pretty cool.

Never heard of it. Is it a PHP based CMS? I'm fighting DotNetNuke at work these days, which is a MS-based CMS. It's nice when it works, but when it doesn't, it's a ROYAL pain.

I'm using Joomla on my personal site, but I like trying new stuff. Maybe I'll look into PHPizabi.

Never heard of it. Is it a PHP based CMS? I'm fighting DotNetNuke at work these days, which is a MS-based CMS. It's nice when it works, but when it doesn't, it's a ROYAL pain.

I'm using Joomla on my personal site, but I like trying new stuff. Maybe I'll look into PHPizabi.

Yep. PHP/MySQL. Installation was an absolute breeze (created a DB, uploaded the files, and pointed the installer to the database) and the code is simple, straightforward, and easy to work with. The singular annoyance was that the updates since the "current" release are not cumulative, so they all have to be applied in sequence; but they're easy enough to do (you just extract and upload the new files).

Still, if you have some time to kill, some server space to play with, and PHP/MySQL/GD2, I suggest you give it a shot. Or you can register on the one I'm playing with, if you like, and see how the various functions work.

-Rich

Last edited:
Back