Anyone ever worked for Bell Helicopter?

Matthew K

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Broke Engineer
So my college (starting mechanical engineering in the fall) mentioned they've had some engineering students do a co-op with Bell Helicopter. Given my aviation background (Fixed wing PPL) this sounds pretty interesting to me. Just wondering if anyone here has worked for Bell Helicopter, or even better had an engineering role there, and what their experience has been.

My primary flight instructor's son is a Bell engineer who worked on the Osprey. Could maybe put you in touch, though I don't know his son personally I know if he's anything like Dad he'd be willing to talk to you - PM me, Jeff.

So my college (starting mechanical engineering in the fall) mentioned they've had some engineering students do a co-op with Bell Helicopter. Given my aviation background (Fixed wing PPL) this sounds pretty interesting to me. Just wondering if anyone here has worked for Bell Helicopter, or even better had an engineering role there, and what their experience has been.
I applied there a few times. Never heard anything back. Maybe you'll have better luck!

I’m not at Bell but my company hires co-ops if you’re interested. What college?

Spent a little time there. Cool company, but living in Texas is miserable. PM me if you want to know any specifics.

Also look into Cessna. I did an internship there and loved it.

That was my first job out of college (Texas A&M, BSCE, ‘84), was told I’d be working on the XV-15,(proof of concept for the V-22 Osprey) got there and was designing hold downs on the Super Cobra (while stuffed inside transport planes). Complained but no change. After being told to go hide in the library by my supervisor (finished all my assigned work, was looking for more) coupled with watching grown men standing around waiting for the afternoon 4:30 bell to ring before running out to their cars decide that wasn’t the place for me. Shortly after starting (7mos) left for LTV working on the project that (unbeknownst to me) turned out to be the B-2 Bomber.

That was my first job out of college (Texas A&M, BSCE, ‘84), was told I’d be working on the XV-15,(proof of concept for the V-22 Osprey) got there and was designing hold downs on the Super Cobra (while stuffed inside transport planes). Complained but no change. After being told to go hide in the library by my supervisor (finished all my assigned work, was looking for more) coupled with watching grown men standing around waiting for the afternoon 4:30 bell to ring before running out to their cars decide that wasn’t the place for me. Shortly after starting (7mos) left for LTV working on the project that (unbeknownst to me) turned out to be the B-2 Bomber.

Y’know, when I visited in the 90s, I got the impression it would be much like that. Plus, the guy who interviewed me was 15 years older than me and was at the level I’d already reached in my current job. I was looking for a step up, not down. Plus the money they were offering was only about a 2% increase.

Pass.

Back