Anyone ever landed at U.C. Davis (KEDU)?

Skyscraper

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Skyscraper
I'm attending a seminar there on campus at the University which happens to have an airport, so I'm considering the flight instead of driving in traffic.

Anyone flown there before? The field itself looks pretty straightforward, they've even got cheap gas...

I dunno really, anything of note or challenging about it?

Not particularly, no. Runway 35 is most often favorable and it's a pretty straight shot coming from your direction. They have an AWOS. Be mindful of SMF Class C which is behind it but it shouldn't be an issue for you.

The university isn't exactly easy walking distance, so you'll need ground transport once you get there.

If you land on one-seven and make the first turn-off, you're my kind of pilot.

Make sure you have current charts. Both the runway numbers and CTAF have changed in the last couple of years. Nothing challenging about flying into there. Be aware of DWA just a couple miles northwest and it's skydiving activity and Sac International's class C.

And here's the AWOS for you...

http://awos.ucdavis.edu/

Last edited:
Not particularly, no. Runway 35 is most often favorable and it's a pretty straight shot coming from your direction. They have an AWOS. Be mindful of SMF Class C which is behind it but it shouldn't be an issue for you.

The university isn't exactly easy walking distance, so you'll need ground transport once you get there.

Cool, I'm gonna throw a "break in half" bike or maybe a razor scooter (to keep it manly) in the back so I don't have to hoof it.

Make sure you have transport arranged. The airport is 1-2 miles from main campus.
Edit: too slow I see...

It is pretty easy to get into there. I will note the airport is a couple miles always from the main campus. I am sure you could just ask for a ride at Office at the airport or get a taxi.

If you land on one-seven and make the first turn-off, you're my kind of pilot.

Make sure you have current charts. Both the runway numbers and CTAF have changed in the last couple of years. Nothing challenging about flying into there. Be aware of DWA just a couple miles northwest and it's skydiving activity and Sac International's class C.

And here's the AWOS for you...

http://awos.ucdavis.edu/

Thanks, got my current charts. Sounds like a good chance to practice my short field landings :) Now I just need to figure out how to look it up in the AF/D :D

Last edited:
Well, a 3100 foot runway is hardly short….except maybe at Mammoth.

You can practice short fields at STS. Ask for a stop'n'go and require yourself to stop before the end of the fourth centerline stripe. That's just over 900 feet past the threshold. Then, take off again within another four stripes (800 feet).

It's a nice exercise to go out there. When are you going to take your check ride so you can do this without your instructor checking everything over?

I dunno really, anything of note or challenging about it?

Not a thing. It's a training field and everybody talks a lot, really a lot.

Usually good fuel prices. Currently $5 :yes:

By the way, we reallllly like the restaurant at your field in Santa Rosa....and the waitresses! :goofy:

Last edited:
Thanks, got my current charts. Sounds like a good chance to practice my short field landings :) Now I just need to figure out how to look it up in the AF/D :D

After you figure it out then pull it up on Airnav. Everything you want to know there.

Not a thing. It's a training field and everybody talks a lot, really a lot.

Usually good fuel prices. Currently $5 :yes:

By the way, we reallllly like the restaurant at your field in Santa Rosa....and the waitresses! :goofy:

Cool, I haven't really had the chance to try the restaurant.

Give a holler next time you know your coming in!

Half of our group at the last lunch in Santa Rosa. And the infamous Jet Cozy, now based at Lincoln.

I'll let you know next time we come over. Usually on a Saturday.

Attachments

• 20121231_121516.jpg
    20121231_121516.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
  • Frank's Jet Cozy.jpg
    Frank's Jet Cozy.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Really?

It's quite good. I've been there several times now.

And yes, the, umm, "scenery" is pretty good too.

Well since it's my home field I always have my car there so no real need to stay close when I'm hungry. But if it's that good I'll have to check it out then...

Well, a 3100 foot runway is hardly short….except maybe at Mammoth.

You can practice short fields at STS. Ask for a stop'n'go and require yourself to stop before the end of the fourth centerline stripe. That's just over 900 feet past the threshold. Then, take off again within another four stripes (800 feet).

It's a nice exercise to go out there. When are you going to take your check ride so you can do this without your instructor checking everything over?

I meant that it'd be short if I try to make the first taxiway from the threshold.

Sadly, I haven't had as much time as I'd like to train (that feels like the theme since I started :sad:), so many things getting in the way and now I'm getting ready to move at the end of the month, so my weekends have been pretty packed full of taking care of essential duties. Nonetheless, I'm eager as ever and have all the tools at my disposal when I can afford more time. Hoping I can knock it all out by the end of February, but only time will tell...

Last edited:
Back