Anyone ever fly to Belize?

\__[Ô]__/

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
david
A student of mine wants to fly to Belize later this year to scuba dive in the coral reefs. I may end up going along. I'm very interested in any experiences people had flying in that area in a light plane (Cherokee). We're leaving from the midwest, could either go south through Mexico, or SE though Florida then Cuba, past Cancun to Belize.

Very interested in hearing about experiences people have had in the area: particularly interested in logistics, fuel options, fees, overwater crossing, legal/insurance issues, avoiding criminal problems, etc...
Anyone have any experience doing this?

I believe 'Caribbean Flying Adventures' has the information package you are looking for.

I have not, but several people in one of the flying club's Bonanzas did it a few years back, said it was very easy and that they enjoyed it. One POE airport (Philip S. W. Goldson International in Belize City). Until relatively recently, they had only a VOR Approach, looks like that is still true (one to each end of the runway). When last I was there, I went to the tower and chatted with the controllers (who also provided weather briefings), very nice folks.

Edit: looks like they have an ILS, now.

One POE airport (Philip S. W. Goldson International in Belize City). Until relatively recently, they had only a VOR Approach, looks like that is still true (one to each end of the runway). When last I was there, I went to the tower and chatted with the controllers (who also provided weather briefings), very nice folks.

Edit: looks like they have an ILS, now.

I've flown into Goldson BZE lotsa times, but in a 737 it doesn't really count towards answering the OP's question, but... in the last few years they've made lots of improvements there; lengthened runway from 7000 to 9000 ft (plenty for a Cherokee!), several new approaches including GPS and an ILS to 10, plus local radar control. As Spike mentioned, the guys/gals in the tower are very friendly and helpful. They also like current magazines and newspapers brought to them; I think sometimes it gets slow up there...

I flew the 310 to Belize in 2012 right after the engines were done. In that case I went via Key West. A few notes below:

1) If you're going to stop in Mexico, even for fuel, make sure that your insurance is properly sorted out for the trip. Mexico required special insurance for a while. I think those rules have been relaxed, but talk to your insurance company.
2) Flight into Belize is easy. There one airport in Belize City is the only IFR airport, and all arrivals/departures from the country must be from that airport. You need to use a handler. I can give you the contact info of the man I used. He was great - we got in and out in no time, and the fees were reasonable. You get to cut in front of all the tourists in line at customs, works great.
3) Once in Belize, all other flying is VFR. You will need to get "approval" to go land at other airports, but that was easy enough to get. The handler can help you with this.
4) Make sure to know the size of the runway for the small airports. If you're going in a low wing, make sure to know how tall the brush is. In the case of Placencia (where I went), the bushes were tall enough that the 310's tip tanks were bouncing over them. An Aztec could not have flown into that runway because of the bush height.

If I were doing the trip personally and it didn't add too many miles (and if you don't mind over water in a piston single), then I would go via Key West and Cozumel if necessary for a fuel stop. Really it's a pretty easy trip that way and the over water flying is nice. You have ATC contact the whole way. Bring a raft and a 406 PLB.

You probably will want some local knowledge regarding parking at the smaller airports. I know when I went my handler was trying to discourage me from parking overnight in Placencia. We had no issues, but the people I was meeting knew the people who ran the airport operations down there, and they had guards for the Caravans there overnight. So I think that helped us. I don't have any real gauge there, but it's worth looking into.

Flying in Belize was really fun. I would definitely do it again.

Thanks all for the helpful feedback. Sounds like it will be fun, hope we end up doing it.

The commercial flight from Belize City to Ambergris Day on a Caravan was awesome. Seeing that gorgeous blue green water and atolls from just a few thousand feet up was almost mesmerizing. I could easily see doing that flight in our C182 :)

Our group didn't really care for the diving in Ambergris Cay. If you're stopping in Cozumel at all, grab a room at the Casa Mexicans, find a local dive op and you'll probably forget all about Belize. Although people who dive farther out in Belize like Turneffe seem to really like it. Or better yet, if you're going down in the summer stop just short of Belize and dive the Chinchoro Banks :)

Just curious what departure airport in the US and what type of plane?

I would feel 10x safer with my plane sitting overnight in Cozumel or across the Channel than in Belize.

Back