Anyone else watch the Grey Cup?

JeffDG

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
JeffDG
For you yanks, this is what the Superbowl was based upon...

For you yanks, this is what the Superbowl was based upon...

No disrespect to Canadian League Football, but the CFL invented playing for the championship of a sports league?

They've been doing it a lot longer than the NFL has. Yesterday was the 97th Grey Cup game.

Well, inasmuch as the Canadian Football League is derived from old amateur rugby leagues, no significant surprise there. It is a nice bit of continuity, especially having a league game and trophy named after an actual person, as opposed to a game named because they... ummm.... wanted it to be really super.

ah, men drinking vast quantities of beer and shouting at the TV while guys play 3-down football in 4" of snow - this I recall from my youth.

Has anyone ever lost a Superbowl because of a "Too many players" penalty on the last play of the game, allowing the other team a second shot at the game winning field goal like last night? Grrrr....

I was in the great white north (which wasn't so white) last week as the festivities were starting. There had to be at least 20 taxis lined up in front of Shell Aerocentre CYYC. I didn't have any clue what the Grey Cup was and what sport they were planning to play before last week, though.

Go Toronto Argonauts.

Oh wait, that's CFL. I bet all their good players went to the NFL, right? :D :D

Go Toronto Argonauts.

Oh wait, that's CFL. I bet all their good players went to the NFL, right? :D :D

Nah, our good players retire to the NFL when they need a kiddie game 'cause they're too old.

Back