Anyone else here done a Bay Tour in SF?

PrivatePilotStudy

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
PrivatePilotStudy
My god, the beautiful views, and to top it off landing in Half Moon bay is incredible. If there is no fog of course!

Yup...default sigh seeing trip is a Bay Tour and a meal at HAF or STS and most passengers absolutely love it.

Think the daytime view is cool, try a nighttime Bay Tour when there is no marine layer!

Sure. Those of us who live here do that every once in a while.

Though I have mixed feelings about taking first timers through there, 'cause it's a LOT of radio work, and gives the wrong impression about that.

Yepp - we did three Bay tours so far. Views are awesome and we enjoyed every minute. KHAF was our fuel at least once and the second time we had lunch in town. :)

For non-bay area folks, what is the exact route involved when you ask ATC for a "bay tour"?

For non-bay area folks, what is the exact route involved when you ask ATC for a "bay tour"?
There is no exact route. The term means a sightseeing loop with flight following, usually involving a Class B transition.

My favorite route is northwest over Crystal Springs, through Class B to Lake Merced, up the coast to Golden Gate Bridge, then Alcatraz, maybe downtown San Francisco, over Treasure Island to Berkeley, then return through the Oakland Class C.

It's been a few years, but I used to love flying all over the Bay Area whenever I was out that way. I think there was a restaurant you could walk to right from the Half Moon bay airport. Although I might be thinking of Friday harbor.

It's been a few years, but I used to love flying all over the Bay Area whenever I was out that way. I think there was a restaurant you could walk to right from the Half Moon bay airport. Although I might be thinking of Friday harbor.
And those two airports are only about 800 miles apart! :)

Half Moon Bay Airport has a decent diner right at the northeast ramp, and several excellent eating places within a block or so of the southeast ramp.

Friday Harbor also has excellent restaurants, but it's a considerably longer walk.

The term "Bay Tour" usually means that there is no expected route vs "state your intentions"...you are just up sight seeing around the Bay Area and everyone from different directions has a different preferred route. Usually involves a lap around the City, Alcatraz and the Golden Gate but the term is just the way to tell ATC that we are gonna just meander around being looky-loos without a specific destination staying clear of SFO Bravo and Oakland Charlie and will let ya know when we need a transition.

Though I have mixed feelings about taking first timers through there, 'cause it's a LOT of radio work, and gives the wrong impression about that.

That is certainly true...just took some first timers up on a busy Saturday afternoon and it was the busiest I have ever been on radio...and I fly a lot in So Cal!

Last edited:
Two years ago I did the bay tour. Came in from the south and the ATC ask, do I want the clockwise or counter clockwise tour? Be sure to take the Clockwise. It will take you over San Francisco and line you up for the Golden Gate. Great photos.
I bought a laminated map that helps with the Bay Tour. Max Trescott's Fly the San Francisco Bay Tour.
http://sjflight.com/BayTour.htm

Two years ago I did the bay tour. Came in from the south and the ATC ask, do I want the clockwise or counter clockwise tour? Be sure to take the Clockwise. It will take you over San Francisco and line you up for the Golden Gate. Great photos.
I bought a laminated map that helps with the Bay Tour. Max Trescott's Fly the San Francisco Bay Tour.
http://sjflight.com/BayTour.htm

I guess Max has to make a living somehow even with his really expensive flight instruction fees, but a Bay Tour (even with a Class B transition) is not something one needs a special laminated sheet for, or any particular training. The only really special thing you need to know is that SFO arrivals are usually over the Bay, and you are exceedingly unlikely to get a B clearance over water, at least south of the San Mateo Bridge.

The TAC and its reverse (FLY) serve pretty nicely.

Meh, I can see the value of that map for someone unfamiliar with the area to know what to expect for transitions in what is a reactively busy and complicated airspace. It is easy for those of us that fly it all the time but I can appreciate the info being made available for those that may not know the common routes for someone that is new to the airspace.

My favorite version of the Bay Tour is the low-level tower tour. Take off Reid-Hillview (RHV), climb to 1500'-2000', transition mid-field with San Jose (SJC) tower, a brief chat with Moffett (NUQ) tower, before talking to Palo Alto (PAO). Now the SF Bay is in full view and the instruction is south and west of the Bayshore Freeway (101), generally at 1500' or 2000'. San Carlos (SQL) is next and usually your Bravo clearance will come here, but, if not, San Francisco tower (SFO) will give you one. Fly right by SFO, sweep northeast to dodge the hill, aim for the financial district. On the way, you exit the bravo and transition to NORCAL. I'll take a left at the financial district and fly over Golden Gate Park, taking a turn to the north at the coastline. A brief flight northeast and you're abeam the Golden Gate bridge. I like to fly right between the towers (laterally, I'm not stupid enough to drop low enough to be between them). From there, usually it's Napa or Sonoma, but if it's just the tour, I'll pass north of the Bay bridge and do the Oakland transition back.

Sometimes, you even have someone on board that knows how to take pictures! https://arnoha.smugmug.com/Airplanes/Interns-2015/n-7H2x95/ (And, remember, it's only clear of clouds in the Bravo. :) )

I'll note that I have once done a mid-bay transition. I didn't even know it existed before the Oakland tower offered it to me. But it's straight up the center of the bay, squeezing between the Charlie and Bravo. GPS moving map highly, highly recommended for that one.

Things to remember:
  • The usual instruction is "South and West of the Bayshore freeway" (which is US101). You're either going to be low, with the towers at 1500'-2000' or you'll be high with NORCAL at 3500'-4500'. 101 is the eastern-most freeway before the bay, so it's easy to spot.
  • Sometimes, when they want more room, it's "South and West of 280" (which is I-280). You'll always be high for this one. 280 is the one that goes the Crystal Springs reservoir in the hills.
  • Learn where the Millbrae BART station is. They may ask you to circle south of it.
  • Learn where Candlestick Point is. They may ask you to circle north of it.
  • Realize that when you get spit out of the Bravo, you're not coming back in without a new clearance. When they say that you've exited the Bravo, that's the sound of the gate slamming shut behind you. If you're low, you'll naturally exit out the side. If you're high, they're likely to ask you to descend out the bottom.
  • The typical instruction once north of SFO is to remain north of the Bay Bridge.
  • The Oakland transition is actually more challenging than the Bravo one. My suggestion is to take the Livermore valley or down past Half Moon Bay on the way back instead if you're not familiar.
  • If, in the Bravo south of SFO, you get a vector to 270, you're being directed to nowhere. Either there's a jet they need to clear some space for and you'll eventually get a vector or on-course, or, if you're really being a doofus and annoying them, they'll wait for you to exit the Bravo out the side and then not give you a clearance again.
I've done, maybe, two or three dozen Bay Tours. Not lots of experience, but enough to be quite comfortable with it.

The low transition is definitely more scenic, but only do it in light winds. Otherwise, you're likely to get your teeth knocked out. 3500 is above the peaks, and much gentler.

The low transition is definitely more scenic, but only do it in light winds. Otherwise, you're likely to get your teeth knocked out. 3500 is above the peaks, and much gentler.

Yeah, that's definitely true. I've gotten pretty lucky in that regard. I've only been bounced around once and it was on the flight in the photos. The clouds limited my options for avoiding bumps and there were probably more of them anyway, given the clouds. I generally end up doing about a third of my Bay Tours down low, but often end up on the high transition for many reasons. (Clouds are the primary reason, but I've gone high for wind shear before as well.) Only that once was the cloud layer so perfectly level, encapsulated in the Bravo, and at exactly the right height that I could pull that off VFR legally and safely. Everything had to line up.

I don't do a "Bay Tour" per se, but I fly in to KHAF frequently and get a pretty nice view of the Bay and the City just staying under the bravo. I usually fly over the Presidio and then over the ocean.

Back