Anyone else bothered by seeing this

tdager said:
IF it is found out that BP has not been properly investing back into the infrastructure, something that now will cause expense and pain to OUR country, then yes, they should be fined HEAVILY, to the point that all other oil business will realize that profits are good, but that profits at the expense of good business practices are not.

Well Tom, I'm not going to quip about unfettered free markets, but I still can't get behind your argument that BP should be fined because you are looking at only one side of the coin. Yes, this disruption may cause expense and pain, but we have previously enjoyed a great benefit of many years of cheaper oil from the Prudhoe field. When things are running smoothly, which way should the fine money flow? From us to BP?

astanley said:
When a company provides a service, commodity, or product that directly impacts the performance of our overall economy, they have a duty to ensure that they provide it in the most responsible manner.

Andrew, I think we have to define "directly" and that's what makes pinning down a propsed fine so difficult. I always chuckle when a disgruntled group (i.e. illegal immigrants recently, but you name it) wants to "sit out" for a day to show how the economy would collapse without them. Shoot, all it shows is how siloed and specialized and completely inter-dependent we are. But on balance I think we all benefit more from this by not having to bake our own bread, cook every meal, or refine our own oil.

That's why I find it hard to say we should fine BP for this. Because we'd then have to start fining everybody who wasn't operating at peak efficiency.

My $0.02 (and oddly enough, gas prices here have been going down a few cents since the news broke).

-Rich

How dare McDonalds make so much money on their soft drinks! It can't possibly cost more than $0.05 for that 32oz soda that they charge over a dollar for.

We need to fine McDonalds. They are putting the screws to those of us that are hopelessly addicted to having soda with our fries.

In jest, but I hope you see the point. No commodity, be it health care, oil, or food, should be protected from the basic concepts of capitalism.

Besides, what all of this is going to lead to is an alternative fuel being developed faster.

Protip: Alternative fuels will probably be more expensive.

SkyHog said:
How dare McDonalds make so much money on their soft drinks! It can't possibly cost more than $0.05 for that 32oz soda that they charge over a dollar for.

We need to fine McDonalds. They are putting the screws to those of us that are hopelessly addicted to having soda with our fries.

In jest, but I hope you see the point. No commodity, be it health care, oil, or food, should be protected from the basic concepts of capitalism.

Besides, what all of this is going to lead to is an alternative fuel being developed faster.

If the oil companies have their way. As it stands, a number of alternatives have cropped up due to the high market price of crude. Shale and coal are two options. Royal Dutch Shell has even mentioned that the in-situ process for shale would be competitive at prices over 30$/bbl. The question is, why then aren't these companies working on these technologies? Could it be that they are enjoying the massive profit from oil and don't want to ruin that by introducing a product that would cause prices to drop? I could be paranoid, but Shell announced that in-situ statement almost a year ago and we haven't heard much more since.

Alternative fuels are not only viable, but can be less expensive, if the innovation is there. Without the technology to perfect the process; however, we're just hoping some guy figures it out on his own and holds out from the buy out or that the oil companies grow a heart and decide to lower the price at the pump by bringing the new technologies to market.

As a side note... anyone heard anything more about hydrogen? I seem to remember a few car companies claiming full lines of hydrogen cars by the end of the decade, but things have been silent recently. Hmm.

rpadula said:
Andrew, I think we have to define "directly" and that's what makes pinning down a propsed fine so difficult. I always chuckle when a disgruntled group (i.e. illegal immigrants recently, but you name it) wants to "sit out" for a day to show how the economy would collapse without them. Shoot, all it shows is how siloed and specialized and completely inter-dependent we are. But on balance I think we all benefit more from this by not having to bake our own bread, cook every meal, or refine our own oil.

That's why I find it hard to say we should fine BP for this. Because we'd then have to start fining everybody who wasn't operating at peak efficiency.

My $0.02 (and oddly enough, gas prices here have been going down a few cents since the news broke).

-Rich

Rich,

Oil is in a special class of commodoties that define the overall economic landscape in our fine nation. A number of economic indexes both discount and consider the cost of energy on our daily lives (CPI does exclude energy).

On a cash-flow basis, energy is one of the single most expensive consumables that a given person in our economy uses on a daily basis.

The fact of the matter is, IMO, our economy welcomes all and rewards all who can provide any service - from basic healthcare to ultra luxury cars - that the market deems a good service. A consumer accepts the cost/profit paradigm, the notion that someone is "making money" off of their desire or need. However, we also all accept the concept that you must be responsible with your service. If you cut corners at your refinery and industrial accidents are the norm, our government fines you. You clearly have safety issues and must be held accountable the only way you are rewarded - financially. If you purposefully collude or set prices on a given product, service, or commodity the government fines you. You clearly have violated the law and spirit of the free market.

In this situation, BP has a DUTY to provide their product in an expedient manner. Force majure and error rates aside; if you fail in your duty to ensure your firm is working efficiently you are punished, generally via the markets. Most firms meet this duty. Before my argument is taken out of context, I'd like to frame it up - not using the latest technology? Not a failure of duty, unless it adversely impacts safety or product quality. Not performing regular inspections of your facilities? Failing your duty, as it impacts safety and product quality. So the duty I speak of is limited in focus, but the rules within that focus are astonishingly black and white.

In the oil situation, and in any commodity producing situation, the table is turned. Your lack of efficency drives up the overall cost (making a commodity more scarce), and if you do this in a negligent way (i.e. do not maintain your supply chain and regularly inspect it, as per regulations), that is an issue which is being negligent to the market. We have few ways to hold them accountable. A windfall profits tax is ethically, morally, and legally wrong - as it discounts force majure. However, in an OPEN, COMPETITVE market such as oil (where we have enough supply-side players to consider the market as open), our only recourse against firms who reap any profit based on poor business practice is legislative or punative. The market is unable to correct for and properly redress these firms which act in a negligent or unsound manner.

It still hasn't come out if this was due to negligence, collusion (i.e. purposeful mismanagement of the pipeline to drive up prices), or was seriously a more advanced state of wear and tear than would have been expected. I am merely supporting the notion that if you behave incorrectly, especially in a commodity scenerio, you need to be held fiscally accountable in the same way you are fiscally rewarded.

Cheers,

-Andrew

SkyHog said:

Nick,

Margin is never the question. In fact, fountain soda can be one highest margin items on a company menu (average dispensed cost, at 16oz, is about $0.04, include ice and it is about $0.07, this assumes certain dispensing volumes and product incentives from your soda supplier). Margin at the cost of the public good is the question.

If they provided soda, made a killing at it, and used sub-standard hosing which deteriorated over time and leaked contaminants into the soda, all in the name of increasing margin, then we have a problem. Thankfully, we have easy methods to redress that.

To tie back to the original argument, if you provide natural gas to homes, and in the name of margin, employ substandard inspection and maintenance practices, we have a problem. Sometimes, we have easily written and clearly documented standards to redress these situations, in other cases, we do not.

In this case, we don't clearly have the legal guide to redress any harm caused by negligence or poor management. Our markets cannot take care of these issues on their own (as profits can be increased due to a potential scarcity in the market place), so the government has to step in.

In my painfully cynical ways, the alternative fuel that is developed faster will be the one with the strongest lobby to support it, not the clear winner from a market perspective. Corn based ethanol, with the agri-business lobby behind it, is making strides but IMO just doesn't fit the metrics of our next "big bang" fuel. Time will tell.

Cheers,

-Andrew

larrysb said:
I'm surprised that they let it get this far. All of these pipeline system have extensive corrosion protection systems that are supposed to be regularly and closely monitored.

That's only if you're inclined to spend the money to do it. Instead they've
just kept it in the form of record profits while gouging us. All this with the
blessing of the current administration and congress.

Andrew,

Thanks for the write-up. What I think I'm hearing you say is that for most goods and services, the market works pretty well at rewarding good producers and punishing the not-so-good ones. However, in the special case of oil (and perhaps other commodities?) adequate punishment by normal market forces may not be possible, or timely, and therefore fines should be levied. Is that about it?

Now for the debate...

astanley said:
Oil is in a special class of commodoties that define the overall economic landscape in our fine nation. A number of economic indexes both discount and consider the cost of energy on our daily lives (CPI does exclude energy). On a cash-flow basis, energy is one of the single most expensive consumables that a given person in our economy uses on a daily basis.
Yes oil is important, but that alone IMO isn't enough to confer "special class" status upon it. How about silicon for semiconductor wafers? Electronics are quite important to the economy. Or maybe fiber optic cable? Harder to do business if we can't communicate. Heck, let's add planes to that list. Getting butts (and cargo) from here to there makes for a vibrant economy too.

Sorry, but a commodity is a commodity - it's the same whether you buy it from company A or company B.

astanley said:
However, we also all accept the concept that you must be responsible with your service. If you cut corners at your refinery and industrial accidents are the norm, our government fines you. You clearly have safety issues and must be held accountable the only way you are rewarded - financially.
Not letting your employees get maimed and killed is a different responsibility than keeping the product flowing to minimize price to the consumer. As such, I'd agree that fines are appropriate for safety issues. But the genesis of this thread was (1) BP's making record profits, but (2) they couldn't be bothered maintaining the pipeline, so (3) we're all gonna get reamed more at the pump.

astanley said:
If you purposefully collude or set prices on a given product, service, or commodity the government fines you. You clearly have violated the law and spirit of the free market.
Agreed. Them's our rules.

astanley said:
In this situation, BP has a DUTY to provide their product in an expedient manner. Force majure and error rates aside; if you fail in your duty to ensure your firm is working efficiently you are punished, generally via the markets. Most firms meet this duty. Before my argument is taken out of context, I'd like to frame it up - not using the latest technology? Not a failure of duty, unless it adversely impacts safety or product quality. Not performing regular inspections of your facilities? Failing your duty, as it impacts safety and product quality. So the duty I speak of is limited in focus, but the rules within that focus are astonishingly black and white.
OK, I'll quote you whole so I don't take it out of context, but you're starting to lose me. Their duty to provide their product in an expedient manner is by way of duty to make a profit for their shareholders. I can give you half a point if BP's lack of inspections breaks the safety laws (and probably environmental ones if inspection is to prevent leaks and spills), but how does it rise to the level of governmental fine-able offense if their quality deteriorates? Either they're meeting government-imposed quality mandates or not. If they are, even by a lesser margin, then no fine.

astanley said:
In the oil situation, and in any commodity producing situation, the table is turned. Your lack of efficency drives up the overall cost (making a commodity more scarce), and if you do this in a negligent way (i.e. do not maintain your supply chain and regularly inspect it, as per regulations), that is an issue which is being negligent to the market.
What does "being negligent to the market" even mean? Is there a law against being negligent to the market? Seriously. I don't know. Commodity buyers seek the lowest price. Seems to me if you're not able to provide it, whether through negligence or buffoonery, you'll get corrected by the market.

I'm also not convinced that shuttering your own production and losing 400,000 barrels a day in revenue is the smart way for BP to increase profits. Since oil trades in a global market, they're leaving themselves wide open to a drop in prices (a la yesterday's post-terror arrest drop).

astanley said:
We have few ways to hold them accountable. A windfall profits tax is ethically, morally, and legally wrong - as it discounts force majure. However, in an OPEN, COMPETITVE market such as oil (where we have enough supply-side players to consider the market as open), our only recourse against firms who reap any profit based on poor business practice is legislative or punative. The market is unable to correct for and properly redress these firms which act in a negligent or unsound manner.
Now I'm totally lost -- You seem to be claiming oil is an open competitive market (in all caps even) yet one would think that's exactly the situation where market forces would work best! To me, your argument that the market isn't able to correct for this doesn't follow.

astanley said:
It still hasn't come out if this was due to negligence, collusion (i.e. purposeful mismanagement of the pipeline to drive up prices), or was seriously a more advanced state of wear and tear than would have been expected.
I'm gonna side with Occam and his razor and guess it's none of the above. The guys running the show now are the ones who survived the 80's plunge and saw Houston's economy decimated. I'd wager a good part of it was not wanting to get burned again.

astanley said:
I am merely supporting the notion that if you behave incorrectly, especially in a commodity scenerio, you need to be held fiscally accountable in the same way you are fiscally rewarded.
Welp, I don't see why commodities are any different than "widgets" and the way of reward is the market, so reckoning will come that way, too.

-Rich

rpadula said:
Sorry, but a commodity is a commodity - it's the same whether you buy it from company A or company B.

Yes, but for electronics, the purchaser can get competitive bids. Likewise flying the airlines, you go to your favorite travel web page, and shop flights, and the consumer can choose amoungst a wide variety of prices based on airline, time of flight, direct or layover, departure and arrival city, etc.

Last night, I passed by maybe 8 gas stations on the way home. Various brands, but all were $2.87/gal for regular unleaded. Across all brands. How is the consumer supposed to get a competitive bid on gasoline? He can't.

While investigations have repeatedly revealed no evidence of price fixing, I find it interesting that gas is the same price all over town regardless of brand.

Normal market forces do not exist for the procurement of gasoline.

Back