Anyone building a Pietenpol?

John Recine

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
John Recine
Over the years I have been intrigued and captivated by the designs of Bernard Pietenpol, so much so I have purchased a set of drawings and am deeply involved in the research of the build.

Any Piet builders, flyers or wannabees

John

I've had mine for nearly 18 months now and love it. Didn't build it though. I'm about 6' & 165lbs, anybody much bigger than me won't fit, although the previous owner was about 6' and 210. I've flown with 190lb passengers before, but it is a little scary...only about 200fpm climb at that weight (my plane is light at 593lbs). It is a lot of fun though, and a real attention getter. Flys a lot like a 65hp cub (mine has an A-75). They are very draggy airplanes due to the wires/open cockpit/airfoil. They slow down really fast...the good side is that I can land in about 100' with a 15 mph headwind. I've got around 120 hours in it so far.

Have you considered a Grega GN-1? Basically a Pietenpol with a few minor variations (slightly higher wing, very slightly modified airfoil leading edge, etc.). Mine is a Gn-1. I've never flown a model A powered Pietenpol, but I don't see how they would possibly cary more than about 280lbs of people. I'd recomend a C-90 if you can find one.

Here is my story of my trip from Indiana to Texas in my Piet:
http://www.wotelectronics.com/flying/2005AprilPietTrip/
DSC00112.JPG

DSC00129.JPG

Steve,

Great pics and travel log, not quite sure when I'll be in Tulsa but it souds like if I can make it to Norman its worth the trip for a peak.

Thanks for sharing

No quite finished with the research nor to begin the build yet but encouraged, excited and energized!

John

Steve,

That was a great story and it shows how that aviation family sticks together.

Bob

Back