Anybody's Guess

Doug Reid

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Doug Reid
Does anyone have a clue how much longer the nav/airport databases for older gps units like KLN94, GNS430 and GNS530 will be supported ?

Another 10 years at least is my WAG. Even the kln series have large military contracts (KLN 900 is nothing more than a refaced kln90b, as installed in the current T-6a fleet) supporting it, so the 89 and 94s should get database piggyback for a while as well. Gns series is also very prevalent in the field and should maintain similar levels of database support. So far even the orphaned 480 hasn’t had an announcement of database discontinuation.

Last edited:
As long as there are plenty of owners of these units, there will be plenty of profits to be had by selling the database updates. Since Garmin is now providing databases directly, I suspect it will be easier to support the 430/530 units for quite a while longer. The units themselves are long in the tooth, and parts will eventually become a problem. The technology is now relatively ancient, but apparently incredibly durable.

My GX-55 has got a 2 yr old database which is the latest available.

As long as there are plenty of owners of these units, there will be plenty of profits to be had by selling the database updates. Since Garmin is now providing databases directly, I suspect it will be easier to support the 430/530 units for quite a while longer. The units themselves are long in the tooth, and parts will eventually become a problem. The technology is now relatively ancient, but apparently incredibly durable.

It's amazing when you think about it. What other electronics from the mid 90s are you still using? I might have a calculator that old, but I can't think of much else.

It's amazing when you think about it. What other electronics from the mid 90s are you still using? I might have a calculator that old, but I can't think of much else.
My microwave? There are technically electronics in that. :D

All of my audio playback equipment with exception of a few DACs and some speakers I built during the recent lockdowns. All of my microphones, mixers, and mic preamps. But I get your point.

Still rocking my HP15C calculator, only the third set of batteries since 1988! Still have an old Yamaha receiver from ~1997 that powers an old set of JBL 4312's, great garage tunes. If the Yamaha ever dies (doubtful), I have an old Nakamichi AV-2 somewhere.

I added this to the garage Yamaha, plugged into the RCA jacks. Allows me to bluetooth stream and control volume from the phone.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F6ZP5WF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Back