Anybody with any experience on a Suzuki Boulevard S40?

Morgan3820

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
El Conquistador
The wife and I are going to go look at one tomorrow. Remember that this would be The wife’s first motorcycle. Is the single cylinder a show stopper?

Lots of positive reviews, size/weight if a 250 but 400cc power which makes it probably just right for a first bike.

Is the single cylinder a show stopper?

The S40 has a balance shaft so the vibration is not as bad as you might first think. There is a U-Tube series "Doodle on a Motorcyle" which features a young lady and an S40 in the earlier episodes.

Can't speak to the 40 but I owned an S50 and it was a great little bike. Excellent fuel mileage and no trouble with it at all. After it was totaled in a wreck in 2011 I bought a newer C50 Boulevard. These series of bikes have a low rider height and are easy to handle. They don't have gobs of power but the twin cylinder has enough guts to get it down the road and stay out of the way. The single cylinder will do just fine. My guess is that she will really like it.

Last edited:
The S40 has a balance shaft so the vibration is not as bad as you might first think. There is a U-Tube series "Doodle on a Motorcyle" which features a young lady and an S40 in the earlier episodes.
Yes, I have been following Doodle on a Motorcycle and that episode where she admitted to killing the S40 by running out of oil. Later she admitted that she would still have it if she had not killed it.

6282CEEF-D44E-44F1-8AA2-7D8A0A3C06A3.jpeg The Wife finally bought her motorcycle today. 2012 Suzuki Boulevard S40, 5500 miles. The previous owner changed out to wider handlebars. He has the stock handlebars. We will see how that works out. She actually excited with some apprehension.

Last edited:
Excellent! You guys are going to have lots of fun riding. Now all you need is a way to fit both motorcycles into the airplane.... ;)

Excellent! You guys are going to have lots of fun riding. Now all you need is a way to fit both motorcycles into the airplane.... ;)
Exactly, do you know of any good used Cessna Caravans, going cheap.

the next thing, and it will be a while, is a trailer.

Last edited:
I hatred that Honda does not offer 'standard' motorcycles anymore. The old Rebel/Nighthawk 125 single or 250 twin which more resembled the CB series is now a cruiser style with a 500 cc engine. What they call 'standard' motorcycles are on sportbike frames with the associated ergonomics.

Now this is totally retro. The revival of the bike that has served most of the world, especially Asia, for the last 50 years. The Trail 125. They have been making new Passport pattern bikes (called the Wave series) with modern EFI and electronic ignition for the Southeast Asian market for years. Which is basically what this bike is. Heck, I might even get one for cruising around the hood.

No, but since I work for Lockheed I'll see what kind of deal I can get you on a C-130....
Cool! Nothing fancy. Oh and none of the ‘A’ models. Does Lockheed offer a friends and family discount?

Last edited:
Congrats! That looks like a good first bike for her. Super lightweight. I don't mind a single cylinder at all, and on those smaller engines rather like them. Low weight, doesn't force a wide tank so easier to touch the ground, etc.

Hopefully your wife enjoys it and the two of you have lots of enjoyable rides together.

Congrats! That looks like a good first bike for her. Super lightweight. I don't mind a single cylinder at all, and on those smaller engines rather like them. Low weight, doesn't force a wide tank so easier to touch the ground, etc.

Hopefully your wife enjoys it and the two of you have lots of enjoyable rides together.
Thanks! I appreciate y’all’s guidance in this journey. Soon I will need something to transport the new acquisitions. I liked Eds suggestion of the C130 But it seems a bit overkill. Starting another thread looking for ideas.

Thanks! I appreciate y’all’s guidance in this journey. Soon I will need something to transport the new acquisitions. I liked Eds suggestion of the C130 But it seems a bit overkill. Starting another thread looking for ideas.

We bought a 6x12 enclosed trailer and it's able to fit both our full dresser Harleys (barely... very tight fit) and would fit your bikes just fine. Doubles as a balloon trailer. Of course that's ground and if you're serious about aircraft... that's a tougher sell.

We bought a 6x12 enclosed trailer and it's able to fit both our full dresser Harleys (barely... very tight fit) and would fit your bikes just fine. Doubles as a balloon trailer. Of course that's ground and if you're serious about aircraft... that's a tougher sell.
That was my thought. Quality control of trailers seems to be an issue. Must research the options. Would an MU-2 work?

That was my thought. Quality control of trailers seems to be an issue. Must research the options. Would an MU-2 work?

I was just thinking that. An MU-2 might work if you had a long body.

Part of the problem with trailers is there are so many manufacturers and they're all over. It took me a good bit of research to figure out who I wanted to go with when I bought the motorcycle trailer. Looking at the structural descriptions this company did seem to make a higher quality unit comparing advertised specs. They also included some really nice details that I hadn't expected but was happy with.

But we're literally halfway across the country from you, so you probably don't want to buy from the same guys.

I'm a little late to this one. Young lady down the road has the S-40. We call it, and her Thumper. 18k miles and no real problems. Loves it.

I hatred that Honda does not offer 'standard' motorcycles anymore. The old Rebel/Nighthawk 125 single or 250 twin which more resembled the CB series is now a cruiser style with a 500 cc engine. What they call 'standard' motorcycles are on sportbike frames with the associated ergonomics.

Now this is totally retro. The revival of the bike that has served most of the world, especially Asia, for the last 50 years. The Trail 125. They have been making new Passport pattern bikes (called the Wave series) with modern EFI and electronic ignition for the Southeast Asian market for years. Which is basically what this bike is. Heck, I might even get one for cruising around the hood.

I learned on a '73 Honda 70 and rode with my dad on his 74ish Honda 90. I still have both bikes but they need new motors.

I learned on a '73 Honda 70 and rode with my dad on his 74ish Honda 90. I still have both bikes but they need new motors.

Funny you should mention, but I learned on a Trail 70 as well, of about the same vintage. Maybe a couple years newer.

72 sl 70 for me. You can buy Chinese knock off motors for a few hundred on Ebay.

https://powersports.honda.com/street/cruiser/rebel-300

Back