Anybody want to buy a Rocket?

The guy I flew to Memphis with in the Cessna 140 did his checkride with Doug Rozendaal in Mason City, IA. Doug has a Harmon Rocket and Matts prize for passing was a ride in the Rocket. He said it was pretty awesome.

FWIW, Vans doesnt really like the modification, but i guess there isnt much they can do about it.

The guy I flew to Memphis with in the Cessna 140 did his checkride with Doug Rozendaal in Mason City, IA. Doug has a Harmon Rocket and Matts prize for passing was a ride in the Rocket. He said it was pretty awesome.

FWIW, Vans doesnt really like the modification, but i guess there isnt much they can do about it.

I didn't know Doug had a Rocket. He used to fly a pink RV-4, but sold it a few years ago. He's one heck-uva pilot. He was flying a P-51 at the mock 'Reno air race' at OSH last year. Good guy, too.

That really is a sweet looking bird. I'd love to have that.

<snip> Would live to see that at Gastons!

Emphasis added.
Troy, Are you leaving out any news about yourself? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't know Doug had a Rocket. He used to fly a pink RV-4, but sold it a few years ago. He's one heck-uva pilot. He was flying a P-51 at the mock 'Reno air race' at OSH last year. Good guy, too.

yea from everything ive heard, Doug is the kinda guy I really need to get to know!

You don't have to deal with Van at all... http://www.teamrocketaircraft.com/
The F1 Rocket is similar to the Harmon Rocket in most ways, but is available in a quick build kit. No Van's parts.

These really are great airplanes if one has the time and money to invest.

I've invited him to Gastons. He wanted to come last year but couldn't work it out.

Sweet! I met him at a RV Formation Flying Clinic in Mason City a couple of years ago -- just a good 'ol boy that knows a LOT about flying.

You don't have to deal with Van at all... http://www.teamrocketaircraft.com/
The F1 Rocket is similar to the Harmon Rocket in most ways, but is available in a quick build kit. No Van's parts.

These really are great airplanes if one has the time and money to invest.

Yeah.. It's a totally different bird now. I think they all spun off of the RV "Super-8", though. One guy said "Hey.. I can put a bigger engine in the -8" followed by another, etc. etc. Mr. VanGruesen isn't big on hot-rod engines and high power - he's a glider guy at heart I believe.

he's a glider guy at heart I believe.

yep, he was telling me at the SSA convention about a 70 mile out and return flight he did in a Cherokee II (like mine). Thats pretty impressive considering the lousy penetration that glider has into the wind. He said he has an Antares 20E self launch electric motorglider on order.

yep, he was telling me at the SSA convention about a 70 mile out and return flight he did in a Cherokee II (like mine). Thats pretty impressive considering the lousy penetration that glider has into the wind. He said he has an Antares 20E self launch electric motorglider on order.

Rumor for years has been that Van's big "secret project" is a powered glider of his design. Dunno if we'll ever see it go to production, though.

Troy, Are you leaving out any news about yourself? :)

Whoops! Should have been "love to see that"... sorry to disappoint you, but my death is not imminent as far as I know. If anybody knows otherwise, please keep it to yourself and let me enjoy my ignorance and last days! :rolleyes:

Back