Anybody traveling DEN-LAX(ish) for Christmas?

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
Anyone traveling from Denver area to the Los Angeles area over Christmas willing to carry a cooler of frozen ground meat?

My son and daughter in law recently moved there. They want some burger for Christmas. Looks like I could send them the cash I would spend to ship 5 lbs of bufflalo/elk/venison and they could buy 8 lbs out there - using an on-line how to ship frozen food, looks like 5 lbs of frozen ground burger needs 10 lbs of dry ice which makes a 15-20lb box, and overnight shipping cost are $50-75 ...

Sorry, kids. You'll just have to come home for burgers.

Here's another option - most airlines will ship some cargo on their scheduled passenger runs and it's a lot cheaper than standard overnight shipping because you're delivering the cargo to the plane and somebody else is picking it up. I know Southwest does that.

good tip, Sac - thanks! Geez, I should have thought of this earlier ... a number of my fellow club members are currently flying for the airlines.

Anyone traveling from Denver area to the Los Angeles area over Christmas willing to carry a cooler of frozen ground meat?

My son and daughter in law recently moved there. They want some burger for Christmas. Looks like I could send them the cash I would spend to ship 5 lbs of bufflalo/elk/venison and they could buy 8 lbs out there - using an on-line how to ship frozen food, looks like 5 lbs of frozen ground burger needs 10 lbs of dry ice which makes a 15-20lb box, and overnight shipping cost are $50-75 ...

Sorry, kids. You'll just have to come home for burgers.

I would guess that the amount of dry ice needed for the burgers is not such a great idea in a small airplane unless well-sealed so the CO2 doesn't leak out.

I would guess that the amount of dry ice needed for the burgers is not such a great idea in a small airplane unless well-sealed so the CO2 doesn't leak out.
Dry ice containers need to be vented. Dry ice releases a large amount of carbon dioxide gas as it sublimates. The resulting increase in pressure could cause a sealed container to explode.

If it were a same day or overnight max I would opt for blue gel ice packs in a cooler instead of dry ice.
I guess I could stretch the financial nonsense to the extreme and buy a $300 Yeti cooler to ship $50 of ground buffalo and venison. :D

Back