Anybody still call for a brief?

Discussion in 'Flight Following' started by Ryanb, Apr 3, 2019.

1. NoHeat

NoHeat En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    For the restricted areas, I wonder if the FSS briefer just looks at the same online map that we can view:
    https://sua.faa.gov/sua/siteFrame.app

Zeldman likes this.
  2. 3393RP

3393RP Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    3393RP
    It's not exactly an answer to the OP's question, but when I was a teenager hang gliding from Sandia Peak in the late 70s, every day I planned to fly I would call the FSS in the early afternoon to talk to a briefer.

I'd give him a made up N number, and tell him I was planning a local VFR flight around 1600. I think they caught on to me after a while, because I always asked for wind direction and speeds at 10,000 and 15,000 MSL and inquired about the temperature gradient.

:D

3. labbadabba

labbadabba Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    labbadabba
    Yep. If nothing other than a "are you seeing what I'm seeing" kind of thing...

4. 35 AoA

35 AoA Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    35 AoA
    Yes, i have plenty of times in the last year. It is always nice to be able to ask questions, even if i am privy to most of the info they probably have as well.

5. Eric Stoltz

Eric Stoltz Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    ES
    Yes. Amidst all the time. Keeps their numbers up too, helping funding justification. Imo

TRocket, Zeldman and Gerhardt like this.
  6. retpd2001

retpd2001 Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    retpd2001
  7. Collin Kaufman

Collin Kaufman Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ckflyer13
    I do the same thing. I'll go through everything, if it all looks good I'll go ahead and call the briefer to get a second opinion and make sure I didn't miss anything

8. Zeldman

Zeldman Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Billy
    Possibly. I still ask the controller I am with when in the air for current updates on MOAs, TFRs and restricted areas. We seem to have a few of those here in the southwest... :lol::lol:

9. weilke

weilke Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    weilke
    Also keeps the service from disappearing . It's contractor run and costs the FAA money out of their budget. When they eliminated duat and duats, numbers and the 'well anyone uses foreflight anyway' was one of arguments made.

10. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    RyanShort1
    I called up on Monday.

11. Jim_R

Jim_R Cleared for Takeoff PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jim
    I pre-brief using a variety of electronic sources. I still often call, and when I do I'm listening for anything that doesn't match the mental model I've already built about the flight. Occasionally, they'll say something that jumps out as disagreeing with what I've got in my head. It's a good cross-check, and also a good last-minute TFR check. Nice to have on record for CYA just in case, too.

I've noticed a change in the last six months or so, though. I typically request an Eastern Texas briefer, and I used to almost always get one without a wait. Within the last year, I've started to notice that more and more often, I get put on hold for ~5ish minutes, and when I finally get a briefer they often say something like, "Hold on, I'm not familiar with Texas so let me review this information for a sec first." Not sure what's up with that.