Anybody remember 3rd class med expiration FAR in 2006?

lsaway

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
lsaway
I just started looking into Basic Med regulations requiring "have held a medical after July 14, 2006". My last medical was 10/2001 (1st class), & I was under 40 in 2006. Using today's FAR medical standard, my medical would still have been 3rd class current on July 14, 2006. I remember that it was not always this way, but can't remember when it changed & what it was in 2001 or 2006. I hope I get lucky. Any help would be great!!

That's an interesting point (about the deprecation of classes); I'm assuming that there is some issue that may make it sticky to get a new 3rd class, such as total blindness or no pulse.
If you held a valid medical on that date, you are good to go, in my opinion. I seem to recall this sort of question coming up in the past, but I'm too lazy to search for it.

It was changed July 2008. Before that, a third class was good for 36 months if you were under 40 at the time of the exam.

It was changed July 2008. Before that, a third class was good for 36 months if you were under 40 at the time of the exam.

Okay, I remember when the 3rd class was 36 months, I just hoped that they had changed it to the current 5 years before July 2006. It looks like I am not qualified for Basic Med.

IIRC correctly it was only 36 months for a few years at most before they upped it to 5 years for the under 40 crowd, before that it was just a flat 24 months for a 3rd class medical. sorry I don't know what years it changed.

If you go to the FAA regulations page, there's a link for historical regulations. The 1978 version of 61.23 was last amended in 1997, so that appears to be the one that was in effect in 2001. It says that certificates issued after 1996 expired at the end of the 36th month for a person who was under 40 on the date of the examination.

[61.23] (c) Duration of a medical certificate. (1) A first-class medical certificate expires at the end of the last day of--
(i) The sixth month after the month of the date of examination shown on the certificate for operations requiring an airline transport pilot certificate;
(ii) The 12th month after the month of the date of examination shown on the certificate for operations requiring a commercial pilot certificate or an air traffic control tower operator certificate; and
(iii) The period specified in paragraph (c)(3) of this section for operations requiring a recreational pilot certificate, a private pilot certificate, a flight instructor certificate (when acting as pilot in command or a required pilot flight crewmember in operations other than glider or balloon), or a student pilot certificate.
(2) A second-class medical certificate expires at the end of the last day of--
(i) The 12th month after the month of the date of examination shown on the certificate for operations requiring a commercial pilot certificate or an air traffic control tower operator certificate; and
(ii) The period specified in paragraph (c)(3) of this section for operations requiring a recreational pilot certificate, a private pilot certificate, a flight instructor certificate (when acting as pilot in command or a required pilot flight crewmember in operations other than glider or balloon), or a student pilot certificate.
(3) A third-class medical certificate for operations requiring a recreational pilot certificate, a private pilot certificate, a flight instructor certificate (when acting as pilot in command or a required pilot flight crewmember in operations other than glider or balloon), or a student pilot certificate issued--
(i) Before September 16, 1996, expires at the end of the 24th month after the month of the date of examination shown on the certificate; or
(ii) On or after September 16, 1996, expires at the end of:
(A) The 36th month after the month of the date of the examination shown on the certificate if the person has not reached his or her 40th birthday on or before the date of examination; or
(B) The 24th month after the month of the date of the examination shown on the certificate if the person has reached his or her 40th birthday on or before the date of the examination.

[Amdt. 61-102, 62 FR 16298, Apr. 4, 1997; Amdt. 61-103, 62 FR 40895, July 30, 1997]

The 2004 version of 61.23 appears to be the one that was in effect in 2006. It appears to have the same expiration date as the previous version.

[61.23](d) Duration of a medical certificate.
(1) A first-class medical certificate expires at the end of the last day of--
(i) The sixth month after the month of the date of examination shown on the certificate for operations requiring an airline transport pilot certificate;
(ii) The 12th month after the month of the date of examination shown on the certificate for operations requiring a commercial pilot certificate or an air traffic control tower operator certificate; and
(iii) The period specified in paragraph (c)(3) of this section for operations requiring a recreational pilot certificate, a private pilot certificate, a flight instructor certificate (when acting as pilot in command or a required pilot flight crewmember in operations other than glider or balloon), or a student pilot certificate.
(2) A second-class medical certificate expires at the end of the last day of--
(i) The 12th month after the month of the date of examination shown on the certificate for operations requiring a commercial pilot certificate or an air traffic control tower operator certificate; and
(ii) The period specified in paragraph (c)(3) of this section for operations requiring a recreational pilot certificate, a private pilot certificate, a flight instructor certificate (when acting as pilot in command or a required pilot flight crewmember in operations other than glider or balloon), or a student pilot certificate.
(3) A third-class medical certificate for operations requiring a recreational pilot certificate, a private pilot certificate, a flight instructor certificate (when acting as pilot in command or a required pilot flight crewmember in operations other than glider or balloon), or a student pilot certificate issued--
(i) Before September 16, 1996, expires at the end of the 24th month after the month of the date of examination shown on the certificate; or
(A) The 36th month after the month of the date of the examination shown on the certificate if the person has not reached his or her 40th birthday on or before the date of examination; or
(B) The 24th month after the month of the date of the examination shown on the certificate if the person has reached his or her 40th birthday on or before the date of the examination.

Amdt. 61-110, Eff. 9/1/2004

IIRC correctly it was only 36 months for a few years at most before they upped it to 5 years for the under 40 crowd, before that it was just a flat 24 months for a 3rd class medical. sorry I don't know what years it changed.
It appears that it went into effect in 2008.

Attachments

• 14 CFR 61.23 as of 2008.pdf
    54.4 KB · Views: 2
It appears that it went into effect in 2008.

Thank you. I did not know about being able to look up historical regs on FAA's page. Good to know. The information you provided makes it clear and concise.

I just started looking into Basic Med regulations requiring "have held a medical after July 14, 2006". My last medical was 10/2001 (1st class), & I was under 40 in 2006. Using today's FAR medical standard, my medical would still have been 3rd class current on July 14, 2006. I remember that it was not always this way, but can't remember when it changed & what it was in 2001 or 2006. I hope I get lucky. Any help would be great!!

Not until July 24, 2008. Here is what it said July 30,1997.

flight instructor certificate (when acting as pilot in command or a required pilot flight crewmember in operations other than glider or balloon), or a student pilot certificate issued--

[Amdt. 61-102, 62 FR 16298, Apr. 4, 1997; Amdt. 61-103, 62 FR 40895, July 30, 1997]

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media...d-news-faa-extends-first-third-class-medicals

On July 24, the FAA will extend the duration of third class medicals from 36 calendar months to 60 calendar months (five years) and first class medicals from six calendar months to 12 calendar months for pilots under age 40.”

You expired October 2004.

Last edited:
At least I know for sure that Basic Med is not an option.

This is also addressed in the FAA BasicMed FAQs.

Don't give up on getting a medical though. There's a pathway to certification for many many medical conditions that in the past were a no-go.

At least I know for sure that Basic Med is not an option.
It is a option if you qualify for a special issuance 3rd class medical one time, then go BasicMed.

Another option is to use a valid state driver license in lieu of an FAA medical certificate and fly an LSA exercising the privileges of a sport pilot. This assumes you let your previous medical lapse (it wasn't suspended or revoked) and have not had your most recent medical certificate application denied.

Back