Anybody near Beaufort SC wanna take a good kid for a ride?

comanchepilot

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Joe Farrell, yeah, him
This is where we have our vacation home - and I still follow the news down here - here is a good kid it seems - anyone in the area [KSAV/KHXD/KARW/KCHS - etc] feel like running down and take the kid for a ride . .

http://www.islandpacket.com/2013/09/18/2691538/hilton-head-boy-wins-award-to.html

There is an instructor down there @ ARW and he's a shark - he'll take the whole $2500, give the kid 5 hours of instruction and come up with a bill justifying said expenditure . . .

Not a lot of flight schools and instruction readily available in that area .. . .

Love Beaufort. ARW is my old stomping grounds. Got my PPL there in 94. Yeah things have changed since then. $42/hr for a 150 and $15 for the instructor back then. That whole area cranked up their prices when military TA was paying for lessons a few years ago. They haven't gone down since.

Seems like a good kid and would take him up in the Glasair for free but I'm no CFI.

You know how to get me in touch with him? I actually live in SC and KHXD is the closest airport to me.

Oh and P.S. You need to stick around a little more, there's a ton of CFIs in the area... I dunno blame it on that aerospace company that's in the area.

atmosphereaviation.com comes to mind as "a good one". I know 10 CFIs off hand that won't be found on the internet.

Call Jeff King - he's the editor of the paper - we know each other pretty well - tell him I said to call - he'll hook you up with the reporter

or just email the reporter directly - I'm sure she can get you in touch with who you need - rlurye@islandpacket.com

I'm glad there are CFI's around - any place to rent airplanes? I know there is a school @ KSAV - and is Carolina Aviation still renting @ KHXD?

Never got out to Low Country Regional in Walterboro - there is no flight school @ ARW . . . except for Executive and he is like Paul - does Jet / Turbo Prop recurrent and initial and high end glass cockpit - not exactly the go to guy for 150/172/PA28 primary training!

Last edited:
I know a guy who owns planes and loans them for free. I sort of have the Bonanza in a hangar at KSAV so I don't rent much. But I do know of a few schools in the area that rent some typical rentals. I sent rachel an email with my particulars. Hopefully we can figure something out. There's an LSA at Ridgeland, and I have a CFI friend that I work with who I'd toss the Bo keys to for training, though I'm not sure a 15 year old solo in a Bonanza is a great idea, at the very least, we'll get him some stick time with a CFI in it.

Sounds great - get the kid hooked up with the local support system - maybe one of the local airports will find a kid hanging around to wash airplanes and help out - like in the old days . . .

Back