Anybody like me dread going to the Dr. for anything.

I

Ihatedrs

Every time I have to go to the doctor I dread it even for simple stuff. In the back of my mind is the thought, "will they find something that will mess up my medical." So I put it off. In any case giving in and going today. Sinuses have been driving me nuts congestion headache and my ears have been bothering me and starting to get worse so need to see if there is something he can do. Weird thing is no real nasal congestion. As they say it's all in my head.

Not too uncommon....

But "Health first, fly later" should be applied.

What can manage your fear is finding the best doctor for you, and one that understands what it means that you're a pilot, and what gets charted might/can/will affect your medical status. So only mark in the chart what is right and proper, and be honest and transparent about what's getting written down. Even better if your primary doc is a pilot himself and is subject to the same rules as you are.

But again, Health First, Fly Later.

My BP is always 15pts higher in their office than at home. Doesn't help with all the things they do to abuse you before hand (ridiculous waits in office with contagious people, heated arguments over insurance & records, making you wait in the exam room nekkid)

You can thank the FAA for that mindset. They have cultivated it through their idiocy around what is actually medically relevant and what is not. Also, their refusal to accept that a diagnosis under control is better than no diagnosis at all.

My BP is always 15pts higher in their office than at home. Doesn't help with all the things they do to abuse you before hand (ridiculous waits in office with contagious people, heated arguments over insurance & records, making you wait in the exam room nekkid)
Super cute nurse and where she puts your wrist as she affixes the cuff....

ihatdrs -- are you just venting spleens, or do you have a real question?

But again, Health First, Fly Later.

Which unfortunately frequently becomes "Health First, Fly Never" because of the sheer bureaucratic burden placed on the individual.

I'm really, really looking forward to them passing FAA Reauth and medical reform. The Senate version made it out of committee today.

You can thank the FAA for that mindset. They have cultivated it through their idiocy around what is actually medically relevant and what is not. Also, their refusal to accept that a diagnosis under control is better than no diagnosis at all.
They probably got that attitude from the military -- they used to be REAL hard-a$$ over minor discrepancies --- even before Mercury

My Dr. tells me every time I see him that I'm too fat, that I should not drive a Jeep, motorcycle, sandrail, boat, shoot guns, and especialy fly... So I want to find an old fat doctor that likes flying, shooting and offroading... anyone know of one in SoCal??..

The last time I saw a real doctor was when I renewed my medical back in 2011, which I'll have to do again this fall. I saw a nurse practitioner about a year ago for some allergy meds, but as a general rule I just don't go to the doctor, ever. I think most people overuse medical professionals. You don't need to rush off to the Dr. everytime something doesn't feel good. The body works our most issues on its own pretty quickly.

Well going to give me some antibiotics (on the approved med list) for the sinuses. Pulled a lot of wax out of my left ear which relieved a lot of the pressure. My guess is the pressure on the inside was hitting the wax on the outside. Anyway hopefully will be cleared up here fast. BP (treated) was 122/70 so that was good.

ihatedrs, I work in the medical field. And, I hate going to the doctor too. The other day, I was at work and, in between trauma bombs (unfortunate victims of violent poly-trauma) I was telling my co-worker about how a bone-headed AME screwed up my 3rd class medical a couple of years ago by deferring it because I'd had an arthroscopic procedure for a torn meniscus. I was saying that now, I was afraid to go to the doctor for anything because I'd have to document it on my next AME visit. I said in an of-hand manner, "I hate doctors" just as a young (and full of herself) resident walked by. I swear there were daggers coming out of her eyes. My co-worker and I had a good laugh. But, still....

I don't hate going to the doc, I hate having to remember for years when the hell I went so there's no "gotcha games" fighting with the stupid FAA computer. Especially when the visit was for a damned sniffle.

Fit, health nut, fair skinned mid 40's. Regular scheduled dermatology appointment, hey look at this weird bump that showed up last month. Lymphoma. High cure rate, but an auto SI. Byebye medical, hello life.

I don't hate going to the doc, I hate having to remember for years when the hell I went so there's no "gotcha games" fighting with the stupid FAA computer. Especially when the visit was for a damned sniffle.
You won't need to tax your memory so much when you start getting a medical every six months. After that you can copy from your previous medical. But you will be taxing your typing fingers as you enter in the same visits time after time for three years.

But you will be taxing your typing fingers as you enter in the same visits time after time for three years.
That's why I save the PDF before hitting submit, then copy and paste from that file. No mo digital taxation.

When I have appointments I keep track of them in an Excel spreadsheet so when it is time to fill out the form it is right there. Just had my medical really hoping that reform comes before my next one but not holding my breath. I don't hate doctors so much as the way the FAA handles this stuff.

You won't need to tax your memory so much when you start getting a medical every six months. After that you can copy from your previous medical. But you will be taxing your typing fingers as you enter in the same visits time after time for three years.

Haha I know. Life is hard with all these first world problems we all have. ;)

I have had 3 medical problems over the years that were disqualifiers for a medical. I followed my AME and doctor and worked through all the problems. The longest I went without flying was 3 months. I just got a 1st class last Monday with no special issuance or restrictions, except must have available glasses for near vision.

I worked with another pilot that one day he complained about a little congested feeling in his chest. The medics checked him over and said we are taking you to the emergency room. The next day, during surgery to install a stint in a artery, his heart stopped. He was zapped twice to get it going again. 6 months later he has a 2cd class medical and flying again. Today he has a 1st class and is flying a Lear 55.

I just do not understand the fear of losing a medical by going to a doctor. Actually, flying keeps me healthy since I need good health for a medical certificate.

However, I do not let anyone take my blood pressure except the doctor.

I only go to doctors that work out of the back of their van in deserted mall parking lots.

I only go to doctors that work out of the back of their van in deserted mall parking lots.
I did that and woke up in a bathtub full of icewater, missing a kidney. The FAA medical says to report visits to a "medical professional", and I didn't figure that guy qualified as "professional", so no need to report! Problem solved.

I have had 3 medical problems over the years that were disqualifiers for a medical. I followed my AME and doctor and worked through all the problems. The longest I went without flying was 3 months. I just got a 1st class last Monday with no special issuance or restrictions, except must have available glasses for near vision.

Not to be argumentative, but if you had issues that were disqualifiers for a medical and then you got a medical, they weren't disqualifiers. You were able to work through the bureaucratic red tape and get flying again. One day you're going to hit an issue where the red tape will take a long time and/or it will be really expensive and/or the outcome won't be certain. If all three pile up on you, what then?

Not to be argumentative, but if you had issues that were disqualifiers for a medical and then you got a medical, they weren't disqualifiers. You were able to work through the bureaucratic red tape and get flying again. One day you're going to hit an issue where the red tape will take a long time and/or it will be really expensive and/or the outcome won't be certain. If all three pile up on you, what then?

Oh no, I understand. I should have been more specific.

They were disqualifiers. When he discovered the problem he would stop the examination and tell me if we continue with the exam I will be denied. However my AME was a great pilot advocate and was able to either get something removed, or added or moved around so I could pass the medical. The time I needed a Special Issuance he worked it through the system in just a few days.

Sadly my AME died a last year. I had been going to him for 10+ years. I want to keep flying for a few more years, so now I listen to my doctors and I do what they say. Which included giving up alcohol, loss of weight and a big change in diet. Because of previous leg, hip and foot injuries, I can't run or jog, but I can do machines that don't jar my legs like running would do. And walking has taken a lot of pain away.

Yoga has worked to get my blood pressure down. (this is from a Texas redneck) It really works.

And one was expensive, 30K worth. But it was a doctor screw up. (not the AME the died. He was the one that found the mistakes that the other AME screwed up) I had to run through the gauntlet for the FAA and was found to be in good enough health for a first class.

I'm 55, and I have asked a lot of my body over the decades. I have high blood pressure controlled with an approved medication. I'm pre-diabetic, but my sugar is controlled by diet and exercise. I'm considerably overweight, but slowly and consistently chipping away at the excess pounds. I have a bad knee, (which I just got stem-cell therapy for) and one eye is just out of minimums for the FAA. I also have cholesterol that is a bit high, but within limits. I had a corneal transplant 20 years ago. (Same bad eye.) I still got an SI, because I found the right AME who helped my jump through all the hoops in the right order. A pain in the butt? Yes. But worth it, cuz I get to fly.

I need to try that yoga thing. I hate taking meds.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back