Anybody install battery minder harness?

I don't want to have to open the battery box every time...

I don't want to have to open the battery box every time...

Most I've seen just install the little pig-tail component that comes with the Battery Minder to the battery, run it through a grommet and gain access through the oil filler.....with approval of your A&P, of course. Alternatively, if you have an external plug for jumping it, you could wire it through there.

I bought this "kit": http://www.sportys.com/pilotShop/pr...gn=OrderConfirmation&utm_content=itemlistItem

Anyone else install it?

I wanted to get a feel for what others are doing before talking with my mechanic... I think I just need to drill a hole in the battery box and run the wiring thru a grommet...

thoughts?

Make the connections outside the battery box - use the hot side of the master solenoid and just about any convenient ground. That's what the A&P did when I finally gave up on the factory battery box and put in a Bogert. Didn't wanna poke any extra holes (read: create a corrosion site) in the Bogert...

Most I've seen just install the little pig-tail component that comes with the Battery Minder to the battery, run it through a grommet and gain access through the oil filler.....with approval of your A&P, of course. Alternatively, if you have an external plug for jumping it, you could wire it through there.

My battery is behind the baggage compartment. I would have a hard time running battery minder wiring all through the airplane. to access it from the engine compartment. My pigtail just sticks through the rear baggage compartment access opening. I open the baggage door, plug in the battery minder and call it good.

I did what Clark did.

Make the connections outside the battery box - use the hot side of the master solenoid and just about any convenient ground. That's what the A&P did when I finally gave up on the factory battery box and put in a Bogert. Didn't wanna poke any extra holes (read: create a corrosion site) in the Bogert...

Perfect! that makes the most sense, thanks!

My box is behind the baggage area as well...

Thanks guys!

I wired mine to the battery in the tailcone and ran it through an existing hole & grommet into the baggage area of my Mooney. I access the plug through the baggage door, and that is fine in my hangar. I can lock the door closed over the harness if I want to as well. Mechanic agreed it was a minor alteration and just needed a logbook entry.

I bought this "kit": http://www.sportys.com/pilotShop/pr...gn=OrderConfirmation&utm_content=itemlistItem

Anyone else install it?

I wanted to get a feel for what others are doing before talking with my mechanic... I think I just need to drill a hole in the battery box and run the wiring thru a grommet...

thoughts?
To connect the real high current Battery Minder you need a temperature sensor mounted to the negative battery post in addition to the charging wiring. The charging wires can go to airframe ground and the battery side of the master contactor but the temp sensor needs to go on the battery itself.

BTW, the leads in the picture are way too long. The fuse needs to go as close to the battery/contactor connection as possible.

The newest minder comes with ambient temp only. Wires have been trimmed significantly and installed it last night.

Thanks!

Yeah, wasn't worth my time to find other solutions... Thanks though.

My battery is behind the baggage compartment. I would have a hard time running battery minder wiring all through the airplane. to access it from the engine compartment. My pigtail just sticks through the rear baggage compartment access opening. I open the baggage door, plug in the battery minder and call it good.

I did what Clark did.

My battery is behind the cargo compartment bulkhead too. On some aircraft, the Hobbs meter (hot only - the ground side is through an oil pressure switch), cigarette lighter, and clock are on a direct line from the battery and you can put a charger to any of these points.

Back