Anybody here belong to a flying club?

Hughes Sky

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Stoic
Just kind of curious how they work. Do you own a portion of a plane or do you just get a discounted rate? Are they subject to the same restrictions as a normal flight school? I was checking out the Myrtle Beach, SC flying school. Looked like the were offering a C150 for $28 and a C172 for $53 an hour dry. Seems awfully low. Would love to hear what you think, especially from anybody that belongs to that club.

Happy flying,
David

The term flying club means (to me, at least) a large partnership in which a bunch of pilots share ownership of one or more planes, and establish some set of rules for sharing usage, establish ways of generating income (some combination of monthly dues and hourly flying rates) that pay the expenses, typically run the club with volunteer effort by the members, and are organized to serve the needs of the membership, not to generate profit. In this model, the members own the planes; legal structures may be established such that the flying club, as its own entity, actually owns the plane, but the effect is the same. It's also possible, of course, for a flying club to arrange a lease of a plane instead of ownership, or some other kind of arrangement.

In such an equity-based flying club, the rules established by the members are very likely to differ from those typical at a flight school. One significant difference is that flight schools are mostly about training, so it's a problem for them if you take a plane a way for a week, and it's sitting idle as you sit idle on the beach. In a flying club, the members set the rules to conform with their preferences, and they're likely to be certificated pilots for whom one of the uses of a plane is to actually go places, and so they establish rules friendly to this.

The term "flying club", however, is also used to describe a marketing plan of a for-profit business, one that typically offers reduced hourly rates in exchange for some up-front membership fee buy-in, often with minimum usage requirements. This has no implications of ownership, the members are unlikely to have any say in decisions, it's just a business offering some kind of bundle to high-usage customers.

BTW, note that the difference between wet and dry rates could easily be another $50/hr.
-harry

Like Harry said the term "flying club" does not have a precise definition. I belong to one at a university in Pasadena. The club owns 2 planes and leases back 5 more from members. We do a lot of training as well as a lot of flying (a bit over 2100 tach hours per year).

We are non-profit, all volunteer (some would say sucker) operated. Our 152 is similar the current price is I think $65/hr wet on the tach. We have monthly dues. We allow planes to be scheduled on line for 2 weeks without prior approval but have allowed longer trips. There is an hour a day minimum weekdays and 2 hrs on weekends that can be waved if that plane is not needed for training.

There are a lot of advantages to a flying club over a commercial operation if you find a good one.

Joe

Just kind of curious how they work.
There is an extremely wide range of possible configurations for a "flying club." However, I think the most common form is a non-profit corporation in which the members buy shares when they join and can sell if/when they leave. There are also quite a few FBO's and flight schools which advertise "clubs" which are really just block time sales at a reduced rate in return for payment up front for blocks of time of 10 hours or more at a time.

Do you own a portion of a plane or do you just get a discounted rate?
Usually the club is corporation that owns the plane. If the members "own a portion of the plane," that usually falls under one of the joint ownership forms such as a partnership or co-ownership rather than that which is usually considered a "club."

Are they subject to the same restrictions as a normal flight school?
If they provide flight training, yes, pretty much so, although about the only significant one is the requirement to perform 100-hour inspections on the aircraft used for flight training.

I was checking out the Myrtle Beach, SC flying school. Looked like the were offering a C150 for $28 and a C172 for $53 an hour dry. Seems awfully low.
Dry rates? A bit on the low side, but not "awfully" low, once you add in fuel at $4 or more a gallon. However, I might take a good look at what they're doing for maintenance, insurance, and aircraft storage.

I belong to a flying club that functions like a non-profit FBO, except that it's governed by a board of directors that is elected by the membership every few years. All the planes are lease-backs. Unfortunately, there is no discount that I have been able to discern.

The other plane rental operations here call themselves flying clubs, but I think they are really FBOs, because I have never heard of them giving their members the opportunity to vote on anything.

Last edited:
The club I just joined has 65 shares in 4 planes. The shares can be traded on the open market, so you can sometimes find a "motivated" seller to get a share for a good price.

There is a $95 monthly fee, and the hourly rates are tach, not Hobbes, so the rates are roughly 35% lower than the nearby FBO, and the planes are MUCH nicer. Also, as Harry said, the chief advantage to a flying club is the ability to actually fly the plane cross country. FBOs don't like it when you do that.

Back