Anybody here actually fly a Socata TB-10?

poadeleted3

Pattern Altitude
If so, what kind of real world cruise speeds, fuel burns, and useful loads do you see?

Joe Williams said:
If so, what kind of real world cruise speeds, fuel burns, and useful loads do you see?

Why? Its French.

:eek:

Anthony said:
Why? Its French.

:eek:

An FBO I'm going to be renting from has one on the line, and I'm told it's rarely rented... IOW availability is excellent, even when the yummies like the Tiger are rented out. Plus, unlike the Tiger, reading through the pilot information manual, it looks like getting in and out of Mallory Airport, as well as places like Andover and other shortish fields I may feel an urge to visit, is easily doable. Since I intend to pay my old friends a visit fairly soon, flying a plane I can land and (at least as importantly!) takeoff at their airport might be a nice thing to have :)

If the book is to be believed, I can look for numbers pretty close to the Skyhawk SP. I can live with that, if the book numbers are close to reality.

Joe,

I know of someone that bought a TB-21 after his Commander got trashed in a tornado. He likes the Socata, handles well, feels well built, but it has "European styling" inside. It's not super-fast, but it is comforable.

Not much help for the TB-10, just make sure the -10 isn't underpowered. There's gotta be a reason folks aren't flying it more often.

Joe Williams said:
Plus, unlike the Tiger, reading through the pilot information manual, it looks like getting in and out of Mallory Airport, as well as places like Andover and other shortish fields I may feel an urge to visit, is easily doable.

Don't believe everything you read.

Joe Williams said:
All these are pretty much Archer-like. It may be a little slower. Tons of room inside. Sinks like a rock. Needs flaps on TO. Stall horn sounds like a telephone ringing. You will get hit by the gull wing door being blown down a few times before you remember to always bungee the two together. The only reason I would fly it is if you want something roomy with two doors. The one I flew was in a club and didn't fly much.

Anthony said:
Don't believe everything you read.

Joe,

There is a reason why it is not oft rented...I checked out in that plane for that very reason...comfortable and nice looking...slow cruise...I did not like the handling qualities. It has been awhile so I remember my impression of the runway performance but I don't think many folks think of those planes as short field aircraft. I would take notes on ground run and climb gradient on some longer runways before doing it for real.

Len

I checked out in it years ago. I enjoyed flying it okay I had no complaints except it is slow. Had adequate performance I used to take it in and out of N72 (warwick NY) http://www.airnav.com/airport/N72 with two adults and a child or two in the summer so the performance is adequate. It is great if you want to be able to grab an airplane and go somewhere on short notice as no one seems to use it much.

Thinkin of checkin out in Herbies Tobago huh. Never flew it myself but every CFI I have had said it was a dog when it came to speed. Very roomy indeed and good vis. Don't know about the handleing but I sure is available a lot. couldn't hurt to check out in it and if ya don't like it don't fly it just report back on the experience.

AdamZ said:
Thinkin of checkin out in Herbies Tobago huh. Never flew it myself but every CFI I have had said it was a dog when it came to speed. Very roomy indeed and good vis. Don't know about the handleing but I sure is available a lot. couldn't hurt to check out in it and if ya don't like it don't fly it just report back on the experience.

Lots of folks rag in the speed, but I like the availability. Sounds like it'll do about what a Skyhawk SP will, which would be fine. I'll wait till after the Wings BBQ to check out in it, cause I want to get a little practice in the Tiger after the Skyhawk "contamination." :) I'll be sure and post a report when I do.

Joe Williams said:
Lots of folks rag in the speed, but I like the availability.

With all the aircraft on the line at Hortman I wouldn't expect to have too much trouble getting something if you are checked out in the PA28s and the Tigers.

Personally, I'd use the money to build x country time if I were you.

Len

There is a Trinidad here at FDK. That is a real nice ride. I might just get checked out in it, but once I start thinking that way, I think of all the money and how it could go to another rating.

wangmyers said:
There is a Trinidad here at FDK. That is a real nice ride. I might just get checked out in it, but once I start thinking that way, I think of all the money and how it could go to another rating.

Question for you and Len... how much money do ya spend checking out in a plane? I've never taken more than an hour for a a check out. That's not all that much money. Really, since I'd be flying anyway, the only extra I'm spending is for the instructor. I just study the heck out of the plane, get as familiar as I can with the panel layout so I'm not a total stranger to the plane and paying the instructor to show me where things are, and fly the thing. Socata, btw, has their pilot information manual online in PDF format, and it turns out to be excellent.

Now, money is why I haven't gotten a complex endorsement yet. I've got 4.5 hrs in an Arrow from a while back, but who know how much more I'd have to spend, for very little gain.

If the plane really is more available, I'd think the extra cost of checkout would be recouped after the first time you were able to fly the Socata and all the other planes were booked.
Also a plane which is free all day is much more easy to take on a long weekend cross country. I wish we had a cheap ramp queen around our place so that I could take cool trips on sunny Saturdays.

Joe Williams said:
Question for you and Len... how much money do ya spend checking out in a plane? I've never taken more than an hour for a a check out. That's not all that much money. Really, since I'd be flying anyway, the only extra I'm spending is for the instructor. I just study the heck out of the plane, get as familiar as I can with the panel layout so I'm not a total stranger to the plane and paying the instructor to show me where things are, and fly the thing. Socata, btw, has their pilot information manual online in PDF format, and it turns out to be excellent.

Now, money is why I haven't gotten a complex endorsement yet. I've got 4.5 hrs in an Arrow from a while back, but who know how much more I'd have to spend, for very little gain.
I got checked out in the C182 in two flights and three hours. I didn't have my instrument rating at the time, and needed one and a half more hours to get an instrument checkout at FDK. I did the same as you--I studied the POH first, and then took the written "test." The C182 is not that difficult to fly because it isn't so different from the C172.

The Saratoga took me about 6 hours in three flights. I already had the high performance checkout. I estimate it would have taken 8 hours and four flights without having the high-performance.

For me, I think the Trinidad would take probably three flights. This is a guess, though. The panel looks quite different, and I want to be very familiar with it. I'd do two lessons under VFR, and the third all under the hood. After all, it is a travelling machine, and that means IFR is a must (for me).

So for you, you might want to plan a couple of flights and three or four hours in any new, complex bird. (A checkout in, say, a Sundowner should only take one flight.)

I've got about 100 hours in TB10. They cruise at around 120 knots if they are rigged correctly. They are very comfortable, spacious, and stable IFR airplanes.

They look a lot faster than they fly. Only when you get into the Trinidad do you get an airplane that flies relatively fast.

Joe Williams said:
Question for you and Len... how much money do ya spend checking out in a plane? I've never taken more than an hour for a a check out.

It depends on a lot of things the complexity of the aircraft, the instructor and recent experience. I usually talk to the instructor before the flight with the idea that the flight doubles up as something else...BFR, instrument currency or the like. Also to get an idea of what it might take to do the checkout. I read up on the plane and try to get some ground time in it so I'm familiar with radios and general layout.

Len

It *is* a nice ride, Ben. It's also $5 more per hour to rent than the twin. If you need multi time, I'd do that first. : )

Joe Williams said:
Question for you and Len... how much money do ya spend checking out in a plane? I've never taken more than an hour for a a check out.

Jsut to through my $.02 in here even though I was not asked. The first time I flew a complex it was 3 hours for the sign off. Every other plane, Archer, C172SP, 172Q, 182RG, Warrior, Tomahawk, etc. It was one hour of stall, falls, min airspeed other PP type stuff and a bunch of landings.

Joe Williams said:

Joe, it really depends on how compicated the plane is and how much experience you have in something comparable. Moving from a 172 to an Archer or vice versa is probably no more than an hour, even less if insurance allows and you are competent in the plane you've been flying. Stepping into your first taildragger is likely to take at least a few and possibly several hours. Your first complex checkout is probably going to require ten hours due to insurance requirements and the likelihood that it takes that long to break the habit of landing without putting the wheels down, and that's for a slow retract like the Tabago or an Arrow. Going from a 120 KTAS fixed gear to a 170 KT Bonanza or Mooney may take longer given the need to catch up with and stay ahead of the faster airplane. Typically with a more advanced airplane, you will get more systems and advanced avionics which cah take longer to master than just flying the airplane, and a good checkout should include bringing the pilot up to speed on all the installed equipment. And if you are instrument rated add another hour or three to get comfortable flying on the gauges and making approaches in the plane.

Back