Anybody have the stratus esg?

simtech

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Simtech
Looking for pireps on the esg as well as what it cost to install?

Our flying club had one put in our Warrior. Ended up being $5,200 which was $700 more than the estimate. Had to have the transponder antennae and some cable replaced, as well as getting a new transponder check. (Would have thought that would have been included.) Good news rebate check from the FAA came in just a couple of weeks.

ESGi here, like it. IIRC it was around $5500.

Our flying club had one put in our Warrior. Ended up being $5,200 which was $700 more than the estimate. Had to have the transponder antennae and some cable replaced, as well as getting a new transponder check. (Would have thought that would have been included.) Good news rebate check from the FAA came in just a couple of weeks.

Transponder inspection should have been included.

Looking for pireps on the esg as well as what it cost to install?

Mississippi. :) Sent you a message. :D :D

I love the ESGi. I still need to do some reading but it is like having radar in the cockpit. Nice not having to carry an additional GPS. Looks great too !! I figured on being around $5k for the install but thanks to a member of the 150/152 Club I just couldn't pass this up.

Last edited:
I'm really liking the ESGi. It's easy to operate, the display on the face of the unit is easy to read. The traffic display, even on an iPhone, is welcome. The airspace around here is full of airline academy students maneuvering every which way, and thanks to the ESGi I'm usually spotting them before the radar controller calls them out as traffic. (Can't get complacent, though; the ADS-B system isn't perfect and not everybody has an operating transponder.)

IMG_1269.JPG

So what is the difference in the once Aircraft Spruce sells for $2795 "for experimental aircraft only" and one you'd install in a certified aircraft? It seems to be the exact same transponder.

I'm really liking the ESGi. It's easy to operate, the display on the face of the unit is easy to read. The traffic display, even on an iPhone, is welcome. The airspace around here is full of airline academy students maneuvering every which way, and thanks to the ESGi I'm usually spotting them before the radar controller calls them out as traffic. (Can't get complacent, though; the ADS-B system isn't perfect and not everybody has an operating transponder.)

View attachment 52178

I'm wondering how many of those blue triangles have a Mesquite or Oxford call sign. I roll out the radar to 60 miles sometimes and it always looks like a cluster just North of Casa Grande.

Does that include the transponder purchase price?

Yes, that's $3495 out the door. It does not include the Status 2i. You'll need to add that if you so desire for $500, or if you already have the 2s you can just buy the interface adapter kit for $150.

What is your location? Shops here are backed up until the end of July.
I'm in Northern Florida. Very reputable and large shop here and I'd be willing to bet they could get you in within the week or two. Just depends where you are at or if you want it that bad.

Average Stratus time to order and receive shipment is about a week or two.

I don't want it that bad. I took Jim up on his "email me" offer.
Hope you get it done!

I had a Stratus box in my plane for about a month and loved it.

Panel decision changes forced me to change that to a Garmin 345, but I think the overall look and display on the Stratus wins between the two.

Hope you get it done!

I had a Stratus box in my plane for about a month and loved it.

Panel decision changes forced me to change that to a Garmin 345, but I think the overall look and display on the Stratus wins between the two.
Shame your not in California, I'd be at your shop tomorrow for that price.

So what is the difference in the once Aircraft Spruce sells for $2795 "for experimental aircraft only" and one you'd install in a certified aircraft? It seems to be the exact same transponder.
We are about to play the FAA word game. Hold on tight.

The regulation says that the ADSB box has to **meet** the requirements for TSO. Note carefully "meet". It does NOT say it has to **be** TSOd. Get the subtle difference between the two?

You are correct. It is absolutely the same transponder. Some unit come off the line and get the magic "TSO" stamp on the back and others do not get the stamp. Some shops will ONLY install TSO units in standard airworthiness aircraft(1). That's their privilege. The manufacturer does have a slight bit of liability when they stamp TSO on the back of a unit versus simply stating that it meets TSO requirements. That evidently is work a couple of hundred bucks in liability insurance to the manufacturer. But the units are absolutely identical down to the color of the wires and the size of the knobs. The guts and the externals are absolutely identical with the exception of that ink stamp on the back of the unit.

Did that answer satisfy you?

Note 1. There is no such thing as a certified aircraft. All aircraft are certificated. Some are certificated standard, and some are certificated experimental. Just trying to keep things straight.

Jim

I was only differentiating between experimental and certified. I don't know another word except non-experimental. However, yes it answers my question. Now I'm just waiting on an answer to the email I sent you...that you requested. ;)

I was only differentiating between experimental and certified. I don't know another word except non-experimental. However, yes it answers my question. Now I'm just waiting on an answer to the email I sent you...that you requested. ;)
I sent it to you at your GS11 address about quarter after ten last night (Sunday). If you didn't get it yet, perhaps it was intercepted. I'll resend it to your personal email if you will let me know what it is.

There are a few categories for certification. Standard (what you and I call CessBeePipMoo) , experimental, exhibition, and a few more I misremember.

Jim

Nice website and good information both there and here. This is making more sense to me as I went to a certificated avionics repair shop last Thursday. The mechanic there told MY avionics mechanic "you could be my competition installing these things." When my mechanic responded with "I don't have the number." meaning the certificate number, the other guy said, "you can sign these off." Before I order, I'll make sure that it indeed will be signed off as you state in your narrative on your site, "these aren't returnable."

Thanks

Before I order, I'll make sure that it indeed will be signed off as you state in your narrative on your site, "these aren't returnable."
Thanks

The only reason I had to put that "not returnable" thing on there is that a few folks take advantage of "our liberal return policy" to get stuff out of idle curiosity and then return it never expecting to keep it. I'm small and I can't afford to bankroll $everal thou$and dollar$ of up-front money to give some yo-yo their jollies looking at new stuff they don't want.

Of COURSE there are going to be exceptions for an aircraft that was destroyed in a hangar fire, or some poor widow not knowing what to do with it. No problem; I ain't THAT stonehearted. But not for the casual lookie-loo.

Jim

I'll rephrase:

I'm going to make sure that my mechanic will sign it off before I order...from anyone. But your prices are better than anyone else's out there. ;)

Our shop was $3500 all in. Love having traffic in the cockpit now. Can't imagine flying without it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before. I was surprised by the quote as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in Northern Florida. Very reputable and large shop here and I'd be willing to bet they could get you in within the week or two. Just depends where you are at or if you want it that bad.

Average Stratus time to order and receive shipment is about a week or two.

What shop is this if you don't mind sharing. I'm in north Florida too (Jacksonville)

Back