Anybody have experience with a Maul M-4?

I'm really liking them as well. I need to find one to sit in and try out.

They seem like one of the better buys in the airplane world. There is an abandoned one at an airport near my work that I tried to buy once. For the money I would take it over a 170 any day.

Very simple airplane. Wish I had one. One drawback is the O-300; some parts are getting scarce.

The flaps are spring-return and the wind whacks them down and damages the cove skins if they're left up. Maule had an elegant little retrofit lock for that.

There's a repetitive AD on the wing struts that takes a lot of time to do. Better to replace with upgraded sealed struts. A bargaining point if the originals are still there.

Not a lot of headroom. Better be flexible at getting in and out, too.

Wow that seems like a nice airplane for only 30K? Garmin audio panel, 430, and transponder...nice

Very simple airplane. Wish I had one. One drawback is the O-300; some parts are getting scarce.

The flaps are spring-return and the wind whacks them down and damages the cove skins if they're left up. Maule had an elegant little retrofit lock for that.

There's a repetitive AD on the wing struts that takes a lot of time to do. Better to replace with upgraded sealed struts. A bargaining point if the originals are still there.

Not a lot of headroom. Better be flexible at getting in and out, too.

I did the majority of my PPL in a Cub, so if I can get in that, I can get in anything. This is the second time this is for sale, hopefully it wasn't some crazy issue with the plane that stopped the sale. I'm going to reach out and get more details on it.

Sorry to somewhat hijack this thread, but I am still pretty new to looking at airplanes for sale and hope to one day own one rather than renting. I thought I understood total time airframe, but maybe I don't... the ad says "airframe 2760 TT" but later says it was flown about 3200 hrs in the past 3 years. How is it possible to fly it more than TT airframe? What am I missing?

Matt

Sorry to somewhat hijack this thread, but I am still pretty new to looking at airplanes for sale and hope to one day own one rather than renting. I thought I understood total time airframe, but maybe I don't... the ad says "airframe 2760 TT" but later says it was flown about 3200 hrs in the past 3 years. How is it possible to fly it more than TT airframe? What am I missing?

Matt

Appears to be a typo on the 3200 hrs. The spec sheet says 290 hrs in the past 3 years.

I owned an earlier s/n for about 19 years.

Keep in mind that this isn't the Maule that B.D. flew out of the hangar for the ad. The little Maule is basically a Piper Pacer with a Maule data plate...short wing, similar horsepower, almost identical performance. In formation takeoffs, my cousin could get his Pacer off the ground sooner (the only option on my s/n was a cruise prop), and when the props were strobed between the two airplanes, cruise speed was within a knot.

It was great for me, my bicycle, & camping gear, but loaded up to gross it took 10 miles to get to 1000 AGL.

I had a 1500 ft strip on the farm, and it was perfect for giving the kids rides, but again, near gross with a good headwind we used up about 1300 feet in ground roll.

I put VGs on the airplane, and it made it a lot more comfortable to takeoff and land.

There are a couple of ADs on the airplane to address engine cooling...I don't think they were quite adequate, but I can't say that my airplane was necessarily representative in that regard.

I tried to get a new engine mount from Maule when mine developed cracks (I found out there was an improperly-accomplished SB on my mount), but after more than two months of waiting for a mount to be shipped "in about two weeks", I went elsewhere...parts aren't that expensive, but when somebody supposedly asked B.D. How many people he had working in the factory, I think his reply of "about half" would be a little optimistic. ;)

Overall a great airplane...I had a lot of fun with it, and if my mission was the same, I'd probably buy another.

Back