Anybody gone to KGNV (Gainesville, FL)

jsstevens

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
jsstevens
I'm planning to fly up and meet my son for breakfast and maybe a little sight seeing. Any advice on the FBO, GA terminal or other specifics on the field?

John

Last edited:
I'm planning to fly up and meet my son for breakfast and maybe a little sight seeing. Any advice on the FBO, GA terminal or other specifics on the field?

John

OK Typo in the subject KGNV not KNGV. Dang.
UAC will take care of you. Self serve available. Easy in and out. What kind of sight seeing?

UAC will take care of you. Self serve available. Easy in and out. What kind of sight seeing?

I'm open to suggestions as to what to see from the air...

I spent three days in GNV a few weeks ago. If you're looking for a great place with nothing to do, GNV is just the place for you. If you drive a Prius, GNV is the place for you. If you'd rather talk about the worlds problems and expect others to solve them, GNV is the place for you.

UAC is great and is the only FBO on the field. They'll marshall you into an open parking spot. The line guys will hand you a piece of paper that you'll "need" to fill out for TSA. Sometimes I forget. If you're concerned about whether someone will be there to park you, just give them an in-range call on the radio (~15 mins out). I've never really had any trouble and am in GNV every couple of weeks.

Flew in there for 24 years when I flew for the airline. Easy to get into and out of. Might be traffic in the area so be looking! Watch out for sinkholes lol.

Nice little airport,with a nice FBO,not a great deal to see or do.

My son lives in Gainesville which is the main reason to visit. I'll fly almost over Jumbolair on the way from KORL avoiding the restricted areas. Unfortunately it looks like crummy weather at KGNV in the morning so I'll probably just stay local. :(

John

I'll be flying there often in the near future. My Daughter is starting at UF as a freshman in a couple of weeks. Graduated from UF almost 30 years ago so looking forward to visiting my old stomping grounds.

I've flown in a couple of times in the past couple of months. Fairly easy. Nice FBO. Loaned me a car once and a van the next. Topped off with fuel both times. So no extra charges. Have to contact ground when ready to taxi. Not much to see and do around Gainsville.

I have never seen the TSA on the GA side of an airport. Educate me.
No physical TSA personnel are present. It's just a slip of paper with the PIC's name, phone number, and tail number. You hand it to the CSR behind the desk. Where it goes once or how it gets there once handed in is beyond me. There may be info needed on the paper, but that's about all I care to remember.

I want to say I've encountered a similar situation at other fields but wouldn't be able to confirm any. I know, for sure, GNV has it.

When I flew out of Knoxville in the 80's a friend of mine had an A-36 Bo and a house at Cedar Key. When the wx was bad we would fly into Gainesville and drive the 1.5 hours to Cedar Key. Sometimes for the weekend and sometimes just to check on his house and have lunch.

I'll be flying there often in the near future. My Daughter is starting at UF as a freshman in a couple of weeks. Graduated from UF almost 30 years ago so looking forward to visiting my old stomping grounds.

Hey, another Gator! Graduated in '81. Had a great time, hell, I even remember most of it...Back in those days, if you saw a bright green field, you DID NOT fly over it.

When I flew out of Knoxville in the 80's a friend of mine had an A-36 Bo and a house at Cedar Key. When the wx was bad we would fly into Gainesville and drive the 1.5 hours to Cedar Key. Sometimes for the weekend and sometimes just to check on his house and have lunch.
I'd just FLY to KCDK if in the KGNV area - lunch and return to GNV.

Hey, another Gator! Graduated in '81. Had a great time, hell, I even remember most of it...Back in those days, if you saw a bright green field, you DID NOT fly over it.

Go Gators! Class of 87. Been there over the last couple of weeks getting my daughter an apartment and getting her ready for school. Use to fly all over the Southeast following the Gator football games. I have a feeling Gainesville will once again become a regular stop.

I Fly to GNV every week and have never been handed a piece of paper to fill out.

Go Gators! Class of 87. Been there over the last couple of weeks getting my daughter an apartment and getting her ready for school. Use to fly all over the Southeast following the Gator football games. I have a feeling Gainesville will once again become a regular stop.
Another one here, class of 80. Though I don't really remember much Flown back in for games a couple times, no real differences from any mid-size airport.

Back