Anybody flying your P-51 in MT last weekend?

drhunt

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Moose Air
http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2005/10/26/breaker/doc43600b5c2e42c168196261.txt

I saw this P-51 fly overhead while tailgating before the U of Montana game. Pretty impressive flyby but I guess the FAA doesn't think the same. FAA is looking for observers to help pin down speed/altitude. I don't know how anyone on the ground could really assess the speed of the flyby (one of the possible infractions). 200 kts or 300 kts would look pretty darn fast at 1000 ft, a lot more so at 500 ft. I think reports of 200 ft must be from people with no aviation background, as it looked to me more like pattern altitude (which would certaily help this guy out). The sound of a P-51 over head at 1000 ft would still be startling to anyone not expecting it. I think there would have been a massive rush to the Porta Potties if it had been directly overhead doing 300 kts at 200 ft..don't you think :dunno: It would certainly have been best for the pilot to be in touch with the tower (inside MSO Class D) on the whole deal (speed/altitude/flight path) and for that he/she deserves to have some very intense discussions with the FAA folks.

Steve said:
I understand there's been an unexplained temporary loss of visual acuity among the pilot population in the general area of the stadium that weekend.

Perhaps ;) I know that flying an Archer I don't much expertise nor practice gauging airspeeds that fast...don't worry about that 200 kt limit below 10K too much. It would seem pretty stupid for someone already inside Class D space to do a 350 kt flyby regardless...hope that wasn't the case.

Last edited:
It's Halloween people!! That was the ghost of some errant WWII pilot going by. Yeah!! thats the ticket!!

drhunt said:
It would certainly have been best for the pilot to be in touch with the tower (inside MSO Class D) on the whole deal (speed/altitude/flight path) and for that he/she deserves to have some very intense discussions with the FAA folks.
I certainly think that, as a pilot-rated observer, your observation of 1,200 feet and 170 knots should carry more weight than that of a bunch of alcohol crazed students.....

-Skip

Back