Anybody ever fly into KJSY (Joseph, OR)?

Tinstafl

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Tinstafl
Pondering an overnight trip out to see the Wallowas and camp under the wing if KJSY is friendly for that sort of thing. Anybody have any experience or tips for making it more enjoyable?

thanks!

Also curious about best airports in Oregon for some airport camping. Would love to hear some recommendations.

I’ve flow in there several times for fly-ins. Great place to fly into. I would suggest you get familiar with mountain flying techniques since that is somewhat difficult terrain around there. Know your density altitude calculations and how to lean. Not sure about camping under wing. There is an FBO there so you can call. Some approach the airport over Lake Wallowa or from the north over Enterprise. There is a tram that takes you into the Eagle Cap wilderness area and of course camping on the Lake itself. Enterprise and Joesph are interesting, especially the bronze factory.

I have been in there before, nice airport! It's only about a mile walk into town and I think the Idaho Aviation Association has bikes there for pilot use. I don't know about camping on the field but they probably wouldn't mind if you pitched a tent. The local campground on the lake is about six miles away...

Nice thanks for the info. If the bikes are useable then a six mile ride is easy too.

Airport doesn’t look like the layout would be conducive to just pitching a tent under the wing tho. Kinda looks like a standard ramp area and no remote tie downs on grass or anything. Kinda a shame since the location looks pretty nice.

Thanks again. Any other tips out there?

Thanks again. Any other tips out there?

The only other thing I can think of is that Enterprise (8S4) is only about 4 miles away and there may be traffic in the pattern there. That caused some folks in the group I was flying with that were flying "737 patterns" some heartburn...

Have Fun!

Back