Any war vets?

Samuroot1987

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Samuroot2801
Funny War Stories?

Any war vets willing to talk about there experiences? I dont want to make you remember horrible things (Yes ik, the WHOLE WAR) but just some funny things that you have seen happen.

Last edited:
By declared are you thinking Korea or Vietnam or both, but I am sure the OP means all conflicts.

I've got a lighthearted one for you. I was lead backseat PIC of an AH-64D during a night mission in Afghanistan 2010. We were about 4 hours in to a 7 hour recon / counter IED mission. We got a call from some ground forces asking if we could do a little recon near their position. We gave them the standard check in and they gave us their situation and location. We verified we had eyes on their location and would recon the area. They then gave us their grid and we again told them we had eyes on. They then asked if we wanted them to mark their location with IR buzz saw. My trail PIC decided they just weren't getting it so we should have some fun.

He asked if they had time for a 'sensor check'. I started yelling at my front seater to get his sensor on that vehicle, I knew what was about to happen. They abliged, so he said to start out with an IR buzz saw at the front of the Stryker troop carrying vehicle. The guy jumped on the front an started spinning the chem light. We asked if they would go to the right side to do the same. The ground guy asked if he should spin clockwise or counter clockwise. We were dying laughing. My trail PIC could barely keep from laughing, but he said to change directions and go clockwise now. The guy did it. We told him to do it on the left side, and he scurried across and started spinning it again. We then said for the final check he had to go to the rear of the vehicle and spin the buzz saw counter clockwise as fast as he can. He starts spinning it pretty hard but we tell him it needs to be faster. He starts whipping that thing as fast as humanly possible, almost falling off the Stryker. Without a bit of laughter in his voice my trail aircraft says that will conclude the test, nothing to report in the area, have a good night, and we fly away. When we got back we showed the video to the unit SP, who was crying he was laughing so hard. Once he caught his breathe he told us to never do that again.

If you didn't know, not only is this not a real check, but the AH-64D TADS sensor can't even detect IR chem lights.

Last edited:
I've got a lighthearted one for you. I was lead backseat PIC of an AH-64D during a night mission in Afghanistan 2010. We were about 4 hours in to a 7 hour recon / counter IED mission. We got a call from some ground forces asking if we could do a little recon near their position. We gave them the standard check in and they gave us their situation and location. We verified we had eyes on their location and would recon the area. They then gave us their grid and we again told them we had eyes on. They then asked if we wanted them to mark their location with IR buzz saw. My trail PIC decided they just weren't getting it so we should have some fun.

He asked if they had time for a 'sensor check'. I started yelling at my front seater to get his sensor on that vehicle, I knew what was about to happen. They abliged, so he said to start out with an IR buzz saw at the from of the Stryker troop carrying vehicle. The guy jumped on the front an started spinning the chem light. We asked if they would go to the right side to do the same. The ground guy asked if he should spin clockwise or counter clockwise. We were dying laughing. My trail PIC could barely keep from laughing, but he said to change directions and go clockwise now. The guy did it. We told him to do it on the left side, and he scurried across and started spinning it again. We then said for the final check he had to go to the rear of the vehicle and spin the buzz saw counter clockwise as fast as he can. He starts spinning it pretty hard but we tell him it needs to be faster. He starts whipping that thing as fast as humanly possible, almost falling off the Stryker. Without a bit of laughter in his voice my trail aircraft says that will conclude the test, nothing to report in the area, have a good night, and we fly away. When we got back we showed the video to the unit SP, who was crying he was laughing so hard. Once he caught his breathe he told is to never do that again.

If you didn't know, not only is this not a real check, but the AH-64D TADS sensor can't even detect IR chem lights.

XD thats a good one

We did something similar with a new cadet from the CG academy. We put him out a the end of a jetty wrapped in aluminum foil and two tennis racquets (also foil wrapped).

Why?

So we could "calibrate our radar" on the 41 utility boat.

1993 USS Lincoln (CVN-72) while still with VF-213: We have a very annoying FNG that we have started a game of "how to get rid of this kid." So a game developed one boring morning on the Lincoln where we would send him on different missions; go find us some prop wash, go get the pad-eye wrench etc. So we have to move a bird for the one morning and we get the great idea to send said FNG to get the keys to the F-14 so we can move it. Hours go by. MMC calls up to let us know that the kid is on his way back up to us, and the game is to stop, right now.

Turns out the kid was sent to Maintenance control to get the keys and was told they didn't have them. So the kid was told to go ask the last guy to fly it. Turns out that it was the skipper. Kid goes to the CO's stateroom at 0300 to ask for said keys...

Turns out the kid was sent to Maintenance control to get the keys and was told they didn't have them. So the kid was told to go ask the last guy to fly it. Turns out that it was the skipper. Kid goes to the CO's stateroom at 0300 to ask for said keys...

...HA!

Have you done any web searches on the topic - tons of guys telling stories out there. Lots of good ones at Baseops.net's forums. Mostly current military guys.

Just wondering, why the interest?

We flew a scull & cross bones flag off the fan tail of the destroyer I was on. The OOD ( Officer of the deck) was not amused. :rofl:

Have a few good stories,but you had to be there.

We did something similar with a new cadet from the CG academy. We put him out a the end of a jetty wrapped in aluminum foil and two tennis racquets (also foil wrapped).

Why?

So we could "calibrate our radar" on the 41 utility boat.

Ha-ha! That's pretty funny! I've got one that's similar.

I had a young Marine in my platoon that ignored orders to stay out of cleared Iraqi bunkers during the Gulf War (risk of chem/bio contamination).

He went in to collect trophies and was reported, so I told him that the bunker he was in had tested positive for chemical munitions. He was informed that the only field expedient solution was to take MRE peanut butter, smear it over the contact areas on his hands, and then wrap his hands in metal foil.

Unbeknownst to me, the battalion CO was conducting a pop-up visit that afternoon and we had this young Marine standing fast in front of a makeshift barrack when the colonel walked by. He asked the kid what the hell he was doing, and when the young Marine explained himself, it was all the colonel could do to keep from bursting out laughing. He just shook his head and walked away...

We flew a scull & cross bones flag off the fan tail of the destroyer I was on. The OOD ( Officer of the deck) was not amused. :rofl:
****, pretty sure we flew one from the mast when I was on the PC....CO's idea.

Re: Funny War Stories?

Any war vets willing to talk about there experiences? I dont want to make you remember horrible things (Yes ik, the WHOLE WAR) but just some funny things that you have seen happen.

When I was driving fuel truck after I retired, I was pumping the hot spot fueling station but my truck was almost empty, My old Squadron was hot seating during the fuel stop at the pits. I had already called for back up and I knew the next truck was rolling. I told my old skipper that was standing next to my truck that I was leaving, He says "Call me a fuel truck", not knowing that one was already rollin, Before I climbed in the cab, I said " your a fuel truck "
remember the hot spot is a very loud place. You must hollar as loud as you can right next to their helmet to be heard. AS I drove away I see him give me the finger, and about 5 minutes later I get the call, the supervisor wants to see me.

Last edited:
Back